Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • I bought a campervan.. and have some questions
  • falkirk-mark

I am going prisoner transport truck owing to the windows.

oldtennisshoes

YGH – I’ve got a calor butane (blue one) you can have if you find yourself up near Perth.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Spotted Asda Jewel 4:45pm Monday!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yes, that was me – my girlfriend and I had been out to the beach down East Lothian way.

The van is quite noticeable. I’ve had a few pals text to say they’ve seen me out and about in it. I also get people waving at me as I drive past and folk coming to talk to me about it in the petrol station etc

Oldtennisshoes – thanks for the offer, I may very well take you up on that!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

The campervan trundles on.
    Further investigation of its innards has revealed some pretty poor wiring. Random coloured and sized cables joined badly, no markings on anything, fuses and switches all over the place and loads of disconnected or cut wires.

This was the (unfused) 12v supply to the fridge:

So currently rewiring the whole thing.
    Have put in a proper earth and distribution blocks around the van and wiring between the front battery/alternator and rear battery system with a voltage sensing relay to isolate/charge the rear battery properly. Have also fixed the front battery down so it isn’t rattling around loose in the engine bay. Have also added a switched control panel in the back that has 5 fused circuits, voltmeter display, USB and cigarette lighter etc.
    Just need to wire in the fridge, new LED lights and exterior LED floodlight to that.

Currently can’t get the water pump running, not sure why yet. Am still deciphering the wiring back and forward between it and the taps and boiler.

Have also cut out some damp carpet in the rear, so the van doesn’t smell funny any more. Handy!

Wired in the dashcam/reverse cam. However it needs a 12v feed from the reverse lights to turn on the reversing camera function. While the van has reverse lights and they are wired in to the loom, there is no bulb in there and no 12v when in reverse. It also seems that there is no reverse switch on the gear box though the Haynes manual suggests there should be. Think I might wire it into the rear fog lights for now so that I have a button on the dash to turn it on. Or I may splice it in to one of the random, unused switches someone has installed in the cab.

I am quite enjoying working on it – it is pretty easy to work on as there are no electronics, access is easy and although it’s old, I haven’t found much in the way of seized bolts yet.
    Pretty cheap too – getting the battery, toilet, new lights and wiring gubbins has been about £350

Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘I bought a campervan.. and have some questions’ is closed to new replies.