Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • I bloody hate plug in air fresheners
  • Slogo
    Free Member

[rant]

up at 6! because the GF left that stupid smelly shit, energy wasting piece of crap that pumps crap in to the clean air in the wall the again, even after i told her its killing me.(asthma sufferer!)

[rant]

aP
    Free Member

Why not just open the windows then?

jon1973
    Free Member

Why are peoples houses so smelly they feel the need for plug in air fresheners running continuously?

Cooroo
    Free Member

Do you own especially pongy dogs? Otherwise, no need for the damn things. As a woman I feel shamed by other women's obsession with them. Ditch the girlfriend, it can't be healthy and will only end in tears.

bruneep

<puts work head on>

They are a fire hazard, been to a few house fires where they were the cause of a burnt out room. I wouldn't use, however if you must unplug it after use. DO NOT leave plugged in.

<takes work head off>

spooky_b329

Drain out perfume. Replace with something manky. (wee?!)

She'll soon stop using it 🙂

FFJA
    Free Member

+1 with bruneep, wouldn't have one in house!

hels
    Free Member

High up on my list of uneccessary and harmful products, which also includes:

Shower gel (whats wrong with soap ?)
    Fabric softener (why ?)
    Any kind of room deodoriser (don't do anything smelly)
    Clothes dryers (thats just lazy and disorganised and wrecks clothes)
    Dishwashers (again, lazy)

So all go home, drink a glass of water and put a jersey on !

Onzadog
    Free Member

Someone tell me more about the mode of failure that leads to burned out rooms please. Do they ignite themselves or flammable items near by?

jon1973
    Free Member

Clothes dryers (thats just lazy and disorganised and wrecks clothes)

why is it lazy to dry clothes? do you use a mangle or something which requires a lot of effort? And, If you're going to suggest using a clothes horse / rads to dry clothes when it's wet outside, I don't want my house to look like a Chinese laundry.

Bunnyhop

On a more serious note, these things are harmful if you have babies or children in the house.

Also if you're trying to conceive they're bad,as are any perfumes, aftershaves, smelly things in genera.

Get rid. I really dislike them.

Hels – do you mean drying machines? In winter ours are dryed on a clothes horse in a spare bedroom. In summer outside.

druidh
    Free Member

For drying clothes, I prefer to just crank the central heating up a few degrees and open a couple of windows to let the moisture escape.

the-muffin-man

For drying clothes, I prefer to just crank the central heating up a few degrees and open a couple of windows to let the moisture escape.

LOL! So you open the windows (and let heat out), and then turn the heating up!!

You may as well just whack the tumble drier on! 🙂

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Don't really get the "clothes dryer" thing as being lazy.
    We only have the heating on a few hours in the day when we are at home. I use the radiators to dry the clothes that cannot be tumble-dried.
    I'd love to know what the "unlazy" method is! 8)

Hate plug-in airfresheners. Just throw the thing away. If she buys more throw those away too. That's what we do at work when they appear in the staff-room!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

whats wrong with soap? Well it removes the natural oils from your skin for a start… Shower gels can be moisturising, they lather better in hard water areas and they have a wider range of smells, keeping men folk like me happier as we don't smell of flowers.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

muffin-man…I have a feeling druidh was not exactly being truthful!! 8)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

clothes drying – I have the boiler in a large walk in cupboard and the cupboard well ventilated and filled with drying racks – drys two washing machine fulls of clothes in 12 – 24 hrs using waste heat from the boiler

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

hungry monkey – Member

whats wrong with soap? Well it removes the natural oils from your skin for a start… Shower gels can be moisturising, they lather better in hard water areas and they have a wider range of smells, keeping men folk like me happier as we don't smell of flowers.

Shower gels are just detergents and the perfumes are bad for you. Simple soap is best

FoxyChick
    Free Member

All well and good TJ…what we did in our old house. But we have a combi-boiler so no tank of hot water!

the-muffin-man

muffin-man…I have a feeling druidh was not exactly being truthful!!

Doh! – Its too early on a Sunday morning to think straight!

The wifes away all weekend and I've got 'women's' jobs to do today – including drying clothes! (on airer in front of radiators).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

angela – thats with a combi. Its the boiler not the hot water tank

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Oh, fairy nuff TJ!
    Sadly, our boiler was fitted in our out-house, 6 feet off the ground. I can just about reach cross all the bikes/tools/tyres to turn it on!! 8)

Onzadog
    Free Member

Anyone want to tell me by what mode this plug ins start fires?

hels
    Free Member

Clothes drying – sorry I forget British English sometimes – I mean the evil hot thing that sucks up electricity and burns your lycra. Is "tumble dryer" the right colloquialism ?

1. plan ahead – don't be in a position to need something dry immediately

2. hang clothes on washing line

3. if its raining, hang clothes on "clothes horse" "indoors" or drying rack inside your dwelling.

brack
    Free Member

Bloody brilliant! 'they cause fires they do'

aghhh I'm away from my batchelor pad now for 4 days!!

I look on them as my friends as they make my grotty pad smell delightful !! But now hear they are the work of fire demons!

Damn and blast I'm confused !

hels
    Free Member

Brack – radical I know, but how about cleaning and tidying your house ? Then you might not need the unsmelley things. Or even better, pay somebody else to do it, best of both worlds.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

hels…do you actually live in the UK?

Drac

Anyone want to tell me by what mode this plug ins start fires?

There's an urban myth email that floats around, if it was true and caused so many fires then it should have been reported and investigated. Bruneep is a plastic heed but I wonder what he means by a few?

brack
    Free Member

Hels you are indeed my guardian angel… Pure genius!! But how can I be 100% sure you are not of the fire alliance ? How can I be sure that these house cleaning people of which you speak are not also intending to fill my house with the evil red and yellow dancing people with their carelessness and evil ways?

Risk risk risk

Now I am even more confused!!

druidh
    Free Member

Soap is the work of the devil. It dries out my skin completely, so I end up with dry, red scaly skin. I use L'Oreal – because I'm worth it.

Nainosliw
    Free Member

Argyll Wardrobes is what you need – big cupboard with 300 watt greenhouse heater at the bottom, plus little grill at top and bottom of door. Robert is yer mother's brother!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'm not keen on soaps either, they trash my skin completely, but I'm not particularly smell either so dont seem to have much problem. I use the little wall smellies because our flat has a slight (inherent, unfixable) damp problem and gets a bit musty from time to time, and if you cook fish or a particularly strong smelling meal it's not always cleared by just opening the windows.

Failure mode of the heated ones – only thing I can see is if the heating coils shorted internally but the coils are set in a non-conducting resin and can't contact each other, and if they did they'd go bang fairly quickly (seconds), but then they'd blow a fuse fairly rapidly and not set themselves on fire anyway. I've thought about this a lot and really struggled to see any circumstances where this might happen. Under normal operation they get to about 35 degrees C.

I don't get peoples complete dislike of them either, seems like a very small thing to get upset over (unless it gives you asthma of course!)

Everyone's about scare mongering and worrying over the slightest possible cause of the slightest possible minor irritation these days. As said above, they'd have been black flagged and spread across the news if more than a couple had failed and been *proven* to have caused house fires.

Drac

The one showing up in Google coffeeking is surprisingly from that normal panic free paper the Daily Mail. It would seem though that the bint involved had stacked some closthes in front it so guess what it over heated and set fire to the clothes, not the house mind.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ahh that would be a failure mode of the human, not the electrical item 🙂

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Shower gels are just detergents and the perfumes are bad for you. Simple soap is best

as i said though, soap doesn't lather particularly well where i am.
    if shower gel was that bad it would be taken off the shelves. my skin feels substantially better after using shower gel than it does after soap.

stugus
    Free Member

I'd like to add some thing to the useless list….

Digital picture frames… wtf? what a waste of power.

Onzadog
    Free Member

That's okay, the one in my garage is about a foot away from anything except the socket and the breeze block wall!

I like the subtle shift between lavender and camomile.

The boss objects to the smell of thinners when he washing comes out of the machine!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Perfectly useful little entities, use sod all power (a few watts, when in use) , especially less than switching on a PC and hold more pictures than you could easily store otherwise. Yup, how stupid.

stugus
    Free Member

why not just print it out and there you are. 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Because prints fade. Because printing takes money, time, electricity (same as the frame) and needs storing somewhere safe. I really can't see what you find negative about them.

With digi frames you can put up different albums depending on what you want to look through, and you look through images you'd never normally take out of the draw for years which is nicer than taking them and then storing them because it's a faff to get the album out.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘I bloody hate plug in air fresheners’ is closed to new replies.