Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 159 total)
  • Hunting Act Amendment…
  • MoreCashThanDash

I do like the way the hunting g debate always returns to “toffs killing for fun”.

I’ve known 3-4 people who were members of hunts. None were toffs. They enjoyed that kind of riding. And they always claimed that few foxes were caught and killed, which admittedly defeats the pest control justification, I know.

Plenty of “non-toff” people used to watch, support hunts as well. It’s the perceived image of toffs in red coats that got the (mainly urban dwelling) masses pushing for the ban.

Coyote
    Free Member

It’s the perceived image of toffs in red coats that got the (mainly urban dwelling) masses pushing for the ban.

Believe that if you want to but most of the people I know are anti-hunting for entertainment because it serves no purpose other than titillation for it’s fans. I am also against badger-baiting and dog fighting for the same reason and they are hardly “Toff” activities are they?

Where do you stand on torture and mutilation of animals for a laugh?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

that got the (mainly urban dwelling) masses pushing for the ban.

Opposition to fox hunting has always been just as strong among the rural population as the urban one.

80% of rural Britain is AGAINST fox hunting – Pride’s Purge

Bazz

Morecash, I’m not sure where your from or indeed your stance, but the local hunt to me is definitely toffs and the upper middle class wanna be toffs so I can totally see how the stereotype comes about.

Coyote, you have a point, the only difference is that the government aren’t trying to reverse the law on those other brutal and disgusting pursuits, and the police/CPS will prosecute those caught partaking in them.

ahwiles
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash – Member

I do like the way the hunting g debate always returns to “toffs killing for fun”.

well done for completely missing the point.

(fwiw. my local aristo’ was passionately anti-hunting, even she had to fight to keep hunts off her land. She was a wonderful person.)

Sancho
    Free Member

I am not too fussed about hunting either way, but the whole cruelty of dogs tearing apart a fox bit baffles me.

Animals kill each other and a dog killing a rabbit/rat/fox etc is what they do. (They do it very well btw.)
    Ever see a Jack Russell kill a rat?

I am just baffled that people are not up in arms about the killing of ugly animals.
    Can there be a ban on foxes killing sheep,cats, chickens etc.

But considering we kill more foxes with our cars should there be a ban on cars in the countryside?

But can everyone drop the ranting against posh people, its really pathetic, being classist is just a load of w@nk.

ahwiles
    Free Member

“everyone”

?

i’m fairly sure it was just me.

how about i re-write my original post, replacing my word ‘toff’ with your approved word ‘posh’?

Northwind

MoreCashThanDash – Member

I’ve known 3-4 people who were members of hunts. None were toffs. They enjoyed that kind of riding. And they always claimed that few foxes were caught and killed, which admittedly defeats the pest control justification, I know.

The “we don’t catch many foxes” argument always makes me think “go trail hunting then”. I mean actual trail hunting, not “oops we accidentally found a fox”

kimbers

I am just baffled that people are not up in arms about the killing of ugly animals.

I think regular folk find it hard to understand that anyone would derive pleasure from chasing an exhuasted animal for hours and then have their dogs rip it to pieces

Twodogs
    nickc

the “we don’t catch many foxes” argument always makes me think “go trail hunting then”. I mean actual trail hunting, not “oops we accidentally found a fox”

indeed, or just shockingly…go for a hack? If you want to dress up, knock yourselves out, no-one is stopping you. Just, perhaps try not to kill anything by not taking dogs with you that are trained to chase and kill things.

Sancho
    Free Member

I dont like the them v us nonsense Adam

I find it pointless.

The anti toff nonsense is lame.

Stick to reasoned arguments.
    When I have been trying to get access for cycling, or arguing against shooting, with landowners, etc, I try keep my reasonable head on they might have money, but they are just the same as us. having a shit attitude isnt an exclusive trait of toffs.

Sancho
    Free Member

I think people forget that there is a reaons the fox is being killed.
    same way we shoot stags, kill rats, etc etc.

Its population control becuase we have a landscape that is almost exclusively for farming and we are a tiny island with little in the way of open land far enough away from livestock.

Leku
    Free Member

In Bristol we have a ban on foxes killing all of the above. We have written serval letters to them reminding them of this and they keep doing it. The next step will be issuing them with an ASBO and hope that that will work.

kimbers

I think people forget that there is a reaons the fox is being killed.
    same way we shoot stags, kill rats, etc etc.

people dont object to foxes being killed, its the method employed, which seems ineficient and needlessly cruel

Klunk
    Free Member

maybe we should have the serfs version. foxes are trap then we turn up with our pitbull staffie crosses and the foxes are thrown into a pit with them as we all gather round and cheer.

ahwiles
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

people dont object to foxes being killed, its the method employed, which seems ineficient and needlessly cruel

but also fun* and profitable.

(*subjective, but c’mon, surely we can relate to the enjoyment people must get from chasing around the countryside on horseback?)

got a rat problem? – that’ll cost you.

got a fox problem? – people will pay (thousands) to come and chase it for you.

The people i’m calling names really don’t care what i think about them, i’m just townie scum to them.

ninfan
    Free Member

which seems inefficient and needlessly cruel

As compared to which of the alternatives?

Snaring – efficient, cruel
    Shooting – humane if you hit, potentially cruel if you wound, variable efficiency (depends on terrain and vegetation)
    Terriers – efficient, cruel
    Gassing – illegal, efficient, humane
    poison – illegal, efficient, cruel, non selective

AdamW
    Free Member

@sancho

Its population control becuase we have a landscape that is almost exclusively for farming and we are a tiny island with little in the way of open land far enough away from livestock.

Rubbish. There have been many instances of hunters encouraging foxes in the area so they have something to hunt, or even getting them breeding.

mt
    Free Member

AdamW – Member

@sancho

“Its population control becuase we have a landscape that is almost exclusively for farming and we are a tiny island with little in the way of open land far enough away from livestock.
    Rubbish. There have been many instances of hunters encouraging foxes in the area so they have something to hunt, or even getting them breeding.”

Both these things are true. it depends where you are.
    I was under the impression that the request to increase the number of hounds had come from a welsh farming group. It would seem that only two hounds to flush to guns it not enough to kill efficiently. Which I can understand in upland forested area in sheep country. This has nothing to do with mounted red jacket types and everything to do with protecting lambs (for the welsh farmers). Apparently they mostly operate on foot (Fell Pack) like John Peel.

nickc

ninfan, trapping?

Sancho
    Free Member

Adam, you’re not scum to “them”, youre a rocket scientist if I remember lol

AdamW
    Free Member

No, Sancho, chemist, brought up in the countryside. One who has yet to hear a single coherent argument why people should wear silly clothes and rip another creature to bits (if they find one) for entertainment.

EDIT: mt if you really think that’s true then there’s quite a few bridges I have handy which you may be interested in. One previous owner 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

AdamW, there are (at least) 2 Adams on this thread…

(This isn’t the first time that our similar names have caused confusion 🙂 )

manvstarmac

There’s a well written article from The League Against Cruel Sports exposing the myth that controlling foxes by any method is a useful way to protect livestock http://www.league.org.uk/~/media/Files/LACS/Publications/Foxy-Fortnight/Fox-Facts-and-Fiction.pdf

AdamW
    Free Member

@ahwiles

Yay! Adam is a great name. Everyone wishes they had it. 🙂

whatnobeer
    Free Member

There’s a well written article from The League Against Cruel Sports exposing the myth that controlling foxes by any method is a useful way to protect livestock http://www.league.org.uk/~/media/Files/LACS/Publications/Foxy-Fortnight/Fox-Facts-and-Fiction.pdf

Well if that’s accurate and fox numbers declined after the ban we should bring back hunting to help the cute lil fellas populations! After all, they have no real affect on farm animals and they’re so cute 😀

Looks like the amendment will fail anyway as the SNP will vote against it along with Labour and not all Tories are in favour.

Edric64
    Free Member

Killing foxes so shoots can rear pheasants that get driven towards bellends to shoot and then not eat ? I don’t get it and don’t care about bringing money to rural areas as its all barbaric .

ninfan
    Free Member

tin foil hat mode on

SNP playing perfectly into the tories hands on the English Votes for English Laws debate…

/tin foil hat

whatnobeer
    Free Member

that get driven towards bellends to shoot and then not eat ?

I know quite a few folk who shoot, only a few are bellends and all the pheasants get taken away and eaten. I’m not sure it’s that barbaric about killing birds which then get eaten?

tin foil hat mode on

SNP playing perfectly into the tories hands on the English Votes for English Laws debate…

/tin foil hat

I did wonder if it was a wise move… Labour have already asked them to help defeat the bill and SNP statement says it a perfect example of a law that does affect Scotland so they should be allowed to vote on it.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

and SNP statement says it a perfect example of a law that does affect Scotland so they should be allowed to vote

probably plenty of people looking at what will be in the SNP manifesto for 2016

bencooper
    Free Member

EVEL will come, or not, with or without the SNP – the SNP can’t and shouldn’t spend their whole time trying to placate the pro-EVEL mob. And, more to the point, We were told that we are Better Together. We were told that we should play a full part in the UK democracy. So of course the SNP should vote the way they believe is right.

The trap is for Labour – they’re already abstaining on the welfare bill, they despise the SNP, will they abstain on the foxhunting bill too?

epicyclo

ninfan – Member

Yup. Idiots – unless there is an under the table deal with Labour etc to prevent EVEL.

Sancho
    Free Member

I do find it interesting how the shooters feel its not cruel barbaric etc to shoot birds.
    but it is to shoot a fox, badger etc.

just a shame so much countryside is ruined for this sport

whatnobeer
    Free Member

just a shame so much countryside is ruined for this sport

Out of interest, what do you define as ‘ruining’ the countryside?

RustySpanner

Most of us are happy for animals to be killed for our own pleasure and enjoyment.
    Demonising those who enjoy it is pure hypocricy, unless you’re one hell of a hardcore vegan.

Sancho
    Free Member

I consider the managed moorland as ruined as it is not natural.

i would rather it was allowed to go back to a wild natural state, but there are so many with vested interests in keeping it as a baron wasteland devoid of wildlife that we are left with a dump, the most boring countryside in Europe.

Coyote
    Free Member

Most of us are happy for animals to be killed for our own pleasure and enjoyment.
    Demonising those who enjoy it is pure hypocricy, unless you’re one hell of a hardcore vegan.

Where to begin…

mt
    Free Member

I’m all ears start where you like.

bencooper
    Free Member

Who’s this “we”, kemosabe?

I don’t think we really need any more proof that the ruling classes are psychopaths, what they’re doing to the country is evidence enough, but the fact that they enjoy watching defenseless animals being ripped apart just makes it even more blatant.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘Hunting Act Amendment…’ is closed to new replies.