Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hrm chest strap – 243bpm
  • DickBarton

Can someone remind me how to use a hrm chest strap please?

Connected my Forerunner 935 to a chest hrm, licked the strap and plugged unit to strap. Watch detected the sensor and then told me I had a heart rate of 243.

So, what should I be doing to apply the strap properly?

Actually soak the strap? Not a fresh battery but not been used for a while and the watch detects it instantly so appears to be at least 50% charge in it.

Thanks.

twonks

When I used to wear chest straps I just licked my finger and rubbed it on the sensor, then wiggled it around a bit when on my chest.

Most of the time it read correct straight away. Some time turning the device on and off would sort it, although a bit of a pain with a watch.

Basically it should calm down before you start your activity.

mashr

Not a fresh battery but not been used for a while

I would look at that anyway. My experience of straps is that when they start going wonky it’s generally the battery (or the strap itself is so old that it’s beginning to fall apart).

Otherwise, it’s just a wet finger on the back and crack on

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Battery, and try some ultrasound gel from boots, cheap and helps lots.

oikeith

I run the 4 contact points on my Garmin Run HRM strap under the tap, when it goes crazy and gives odd readings it gets new batteries.

DickBarton

Thanks for tips…more moisture and a new battery to try.

mmannerr

If it hasn’t been used in a while there might be some dried dirt on the sensor pads. Carefully cleaning them usually helps and if not the strap part is available at reasonable cost.

steve_b77
    Free Member

You’re either in serious trouble, or you should just give it a lick

docrobster
    Free Member

I’ve never ever moisten the back of my heart rate strap (either of them- a garmin on and a decathlon Bluetooth jobbie)
    Never had any issues. Maybe sweat works the same?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

The battery goes flat very easily if sensor left anywhere near the strap.

orangespyderman

I’ve never ever moisten the back of my heart rate strap (either of them- a garmin on and a decathlon Bluetooth jobbie)

Neither do I. I usually have it on for at least 10 minutes or so and have always assumed that the skin is conductive enough as it is. Never ever used water/spit or anything else and as suggested above, the only time I’ve had any issues, a battery change has sorted them.

richardk
    Free Member

If you are riding in a slightly loose fitting, man-made cycling top, I’ve found the wind oscillating the top can cause havoc with a Garmin Chest HRM.  Heart rates up to 250 bpm which is completely at odds with effort or the feeling in my chest.

Wahoo Tickr works better, as does a tight top…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Battery probably cause of high readings, just had crazy data myself for a gentle ~10min ride to station.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hrm chest strap – 243bpm’ is closed to new replies.