• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by beej.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How to stop bikes getting nicked
  • woody74

Right there are some right clever blokes and lasses on this forum so simple question ‘How do you stop bikes getting nicked’. Seems like shops and warehouses are getting done over every week so lets hear all your great ideas for either making it really hard to nick bikes or pointless as they can be easily traced.

Not that many cars get nicked anymore as some bright spark came up with the immobiliser so without the key your stuffed. We need a good simple idea like that but for bikes.

I’ll start it off – Titanium U lock that is both bloody light and bugger to cut

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

issue everyone with a free bike of their choice and stimulate economic activity too :o)

woody74

Didn’t Ikea do that with all their staff a few years back and everyone just sold them on ebay. So much for trying to get fit and health staff.

emac65
    Free Member

Live somewhere decent

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d go one better, a diamond covered D Lock. The only way a thief would have any chance of cutting through it would be with a diamond tipped diamond saw. This would cost alot more than the bike that they were trying to steal so it wouldnt be worth it.

Or, get bike manufacturers to lower the prices of bikes, say about 10quid for a full build. Who’s gonna want to nick that?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Didn’t Ikea do that with all their staff a few years back and everyone just sold them on ebay

I said everyone not just Ikea staff 🙂

Stu

Not that many cars get nicked anymore as some bright spark came up with the immobiliser so without the key your stuffed. We need a good simple idea like that but for bikes.

Err, I think you’ll find quite a lot of cars still get stolen, now they just nick the keys first… 😈

uplink
    Free Member

I’d go one better, a diamond covered D Lock. The only way a thief would have any chance of cutting through it would be with a diamond tipped diamond saw

You hear of a good few that have had the frame chopped rather than bother with the lock, all the bits then end up on ebay, pretty much untraceable

Cougar

I’m giving serious consideration to wiring mine up to a three-phase supply when not in use.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You hear of a good few that have had the frame chopped rather than bother with the lock, all the bits then end up on ebay, pretty much untraceable

easy then, a diamond covered frame that would be uncuttable except with the aforementioned saw

Torminalis
    Free Member

What about smearing them in poo?

woody74

Come on people I am sure there are some good engineers out there that can come up with a eureka idea. We can send man to the moon so I am sure we can stop bikes being nicked by scum. Then again the second oldest profession has to be stealing

andy_hamgreen

a recurring theme of mine – but….
    all bike thieves hung in irons with the vultures picking at their carcases – usually I suggest hanging them from the Clifton Suspension Bridge to send the message to the Bristol thievers…

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

z1ppy

How about giving everyone a revolver and implement wild west lawless-ness.
    Soon have the population whittled down, no more jobless issues, but unfortunately probably no one useful left either

claymore does seem pretty reasonable alternative though

uplink
    Free Member
    beej

Movement triggered alarm built into the frame, remote unit to arm/disarm.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How to stop bikes getting nicked’ is closed to new replies.