Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • How to remove bearings from a hope freehub body?
  • the00
    Free Member

Steel freehub body, 6001 bearings, but there is a circlip in there apparently, so I can’t just bash ’em both out…

Thare is probally a Hope tool, but I’d prefer a homebuild option unless it’s really made much easier.

Ta

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I forget exactly where the circlip is now, but if you give it a good clean you should be able to see if it’s on the outside to remove it first, otherwise it’s inside somewhere. A drift of some sort (Big scredriver) and a hammer will get the bearings out easy enough. I think the outer one comes out first, and the circlip is inside?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Heat the hub. Makes life much easier – tie a rag around it and pour boiling water over it

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sounds like an XC hub, not a Pro 2?

If so I was right, drawing here –
    http://www.hopetech.com/database/xc_hub%2Bcass_ass_explo%2Btab.jpg

The end cap (Part No. 13) just pulls off, then insert a scredriver from the inside and push the tube (11) to one side to tap the bearing out, remove tube and circlip, remove inner bearing. Tap new bearings in with a socket that just fits the OUTER race on the new bearing
    🙂

the00
    Free Member

Thanks Peter, that’s my evening sorted.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No worries 🙂

It’s pretty easy really, although TJs suggestion is a good one. I seem to remember I had to use some force to remove the old bearings!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘How to remove bearings from a hope freehub body?’ is closed to new replies.