Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • How to make a bench or something cool from this log ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

As the title says I have acquired this log from the trees that were cut down behind our house its 130cm in length

Give me some inspiration wood folk of this forum…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ski
    Free Member

Is it rotten in the middle, or is the wood good?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Not rotten all good wood

samuri
    Free Member

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Cut it into thin strips to repair your fence.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Cut it into thin strips to repair your fence.

not my fence its the neighbours !

ski
    Free Member

If the woods good, I would slice it down the centre, making a plank about two inches thick, leaving the bark in place for that rustic look, then saw two large square legs, to support at a height of your choice.

something like this:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3VSvgaRcY0[/video]

apart from the rollers that is lol, 😉

JEngledow
    Free Member

not my fence its the neighbours !

In that case whittle it in to a set of Bombers and go tell your neighbours to fix the fence!

sweepy
    Free Member

Its behind the bike but you get the jist

nickjb
    Free Member

kayak23

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

JoeG
    Free Member

kayak23

Let Mitchell guide you through…

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WNg1saHaHvs&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWNg1saHaHvs[/video]

beefheart
    Free Member

kayak23

Being a bit more serious, it all depends on what sort of furniture floats your boat, the suitability of the timber, what material you can yield from it, what tools you have, how much money you got.

If you want something chunky, literally just carved out from the log, then unless you have chainsaw training then it’s going to be a case of hacking at it with chisels and saws etc. Freshly felled wood is very hard to cut with standard handsaws as the teeth tend to clog up.
    It is however, easier generally to chip and chisel away at while it’s ‘green’ (wet).

You could take it to a sawmill who I’m sure would cut it up into boards for you for a small fee. You could then stack it with space between each board, covered from the rain in your garden for a year or two until it’s dry enough to use. Generally you should air-dry timber a year, per inch thickness.

If you are going to use it outside, then you don’t need to pay so much attention to the drying but alternative fixing methods to gluing etc may need to be found.

Also, what species is it? Some are more suitable for furniture use than others. I really ought to be better at identifying timber in that state in my job…but I’m not.

Personally, if you have limited tools and perhaps skills, I would keep it simple. Maybe get some other branches and sink them in underneath as short legs, and carve/chop/butcher out a sitting section or something…Make a bench of some type.

Post up your results.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Stand it on it’s end, then stand on top of it and pretend to be a totem pole

Pics of ou doing is please, extra points for wearing some of tose fairy wings whilst you do it

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

like the look of this

anyone near/in London with a chain saw ? I make good tea and cake !

maxray
    Free Member

I made a chair with one of the bigger bits of log I was too tired to move. 🙂

CountZero

Like maxray’s. 😀

castanea
    Free Member

Unfortunately it’s not a very big stick so there is not that much you can do with it. …and if you don’t have a chainsaw then life becomes much harder. A couple of designs that might be do-able below, or a version thereof.

or

or

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘How to make a bench or something cool from this log ?’ is closed to new replies.