Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • How to get rid of a large quanitity of books?
  • jhpbk
    Free Member

Afternoon all.

I have recently inherited a large quantity of books, around 2500 all together.

The are all new, as they would have been sold via Atkinsons books as a re-seller. But I don’t have the time or space to be doing this properly.
    A few google results say doing things like WeBuyBooks.com or Ziffit, which could be good. But they mean me scanning each book one by one.

Does anybody know of a place to easily sell them?

I know the thought might be to charity them, but it would be good to get some value out of them.

oceanskipper

You could try stealth ad on a cycling forum?

submarined
    Free Member

My dad made a curry pot of some at uni, if that helps?

More seriously, depending on what they are, get in touch with local schools. We gave a bunch to the local primary and the rest went to the BHF book shop.

Harry_the_Spider

What genre?

IHN

We had a similar issue (although ‘only’ about 300). Basically you need to work at it to release some value, by relentless code scanning, boxing and posting, or individually eBay selling, or not. We couldn’t be arsed, so they went to a local charity bookshop.

jeffl

Fahrenheit 451

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Burning worked for the Nazis.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Open a library.

Vader
    Free Member

Bookworms

tall_martin

Is there a book equivalent of music magpie?

Local auction?

Riksbar

I have recently inherited a large quantity of books, around 2500 all together.

They are all new.

IMG_0705

funkmasterp

Is there a book equivalent of music magpie?

musicMagpie, WOB or similar. Offer similar services for scan by barcode. OP DM me if you have a list of ASINS

steveb

Are they all different or multiples of the same titles?

What general catagories?

andrewh
    Free Member

Whereabouts are you?

midlifecrashes

Mein Kampf, Unser Kampf, Deine Kampf, Ihre Kampf…

German can be so exhausting sometimes.

CountZero

The bigger charities now often have actual bookshops, or have special displays of books – Dorothy House have a big bookshop in Bath*, their small shop in Chippenham has one window set aside for books, the RSPCA shop opposite has a ‘collectors corner’ for comics, SF books, etc. While you may not get rid of all of them to one outlet, dividing them into more easily swallowed batches means you may shift them quicker.

*I was walking past one day and spotted a big book about Pink Floyd, written by Nick Mason, the drummer. He opens his gardens up for charity and has a load of his cars on display, and is usually wandering around, so I took it along and asked if he could sign it; “bloody hell, where did you find that?”, in a Bath charity shop, I told him. He was more than happy to, and he signed my CD of his band’s gig at the Roundhouse, in London. Seeing him again in Bristol later this year as well. He lives between Chippenham and Bath, and has been seen shopping in Sainsbury’s, driving his Ferrari 250GTO.
    As one does…

prettygreenparrot

2500 books shouldn’t take long to catalog.

do you have children or teens who could be gainfully employed below minimum wage to do this? There are apps to help. I’ve not used one since pre-smartphone days but I see ‘library thing’ in the App Store.

failing that, you might recover some value if there is the chance of some valuable items by calling a bookseller. If it’s all regular stuff then like folks say, ask your local library, schools, and charity shops.

I don’t propose the 451 solution but look at the glee on the fireman’s face

https://youtu.be/ZaLJ10v4xUA?si=5tnhuU8ovoC6jOpC

kayak23

Have you seen the Great Escape where they get rid of the dirt by shaking it out of their trousers in the yard?

Perhaps you could do that discretely with the books in public libraries?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

If you find a copy of “The Devil is in it”, I’ll take it off your hands…

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

You could try selling them on  ‘Vinted’ if they’re oriented towards chicks/ new age.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Find your local non charity bookshop and see if they want to buy them

doris5000

We had this a couple of years ago with a load of C20th plays and poetry – my FiL had been an English lecturer back in the day. In the end we found an Oxfam bookshop next to the university and donated them there.

It seemed a bit of a shame to not get any money, but MrsD was in there dropping off the last box, noted that an earlier load was already up on display, and saw a student waving one around and excitedly proclaiming to a friend that this was his favourite play and he was chuffed to find a copy. So it was good to see them going to a good home.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Sort them into a few batches and then drop them at your local auction house.

2nd hand booksellers get their stock from those sort of places.

oceanskipper

No sign of the OP. Perhaps he/she decided to play Jenga with them and it’s gone horribly wrong…

Papier-mache model of Mt Rushmore with the crusty old dudes faces replaced with the spice girls? Since there’s only 4 spaces you’ll have to make 2 become 1.

dyna-ti

There will be trillions of books lying unwanted. Chuck them in a fire rather than add to that great pile.

Kept whole they should burn pretty well and it will save on buying BBQ fuel.

Davesport

I donated about 600 old magazines to a mate. It took about 20 min of my time to put them all through his letter box one at a time to ensure he got them in perfect condition. He was ever so grateful;o)

A little kindness goes a long way.

intheborders
    Free Member

The OP wants cash for them but isn’t prepared to put any effort in – is he Boris Johnson?

We went through this about 10 years ago, a local charity employed folk with learning difficulties and they basically put the effort in of cataloguing and selling those with value (no idea what they did with the ‘rubbish’.  Took a van worth to them.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM