Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • How to allocate a budget for a bike or build
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve seen quite a few what bike threads (mostly road) and the general consensus seems to be spend most of the budget on Frame Fork and Wheels.

Does this still stand as I’m not so sure it does. For example a decent off the shelf aluminium frame for around 500 notes with around 1500 quids worth of uber parts should end up being a better bike functionally than say a 1200 frame with 800 of bits or is the ride going to be that much better on the more expensive frame?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I always look at the frame as the core of the bike, and treat components as constantly upgradeable parts. So I would sepnd more on the frame, equip it with the best bits my budget will allow, and then upgrade these as and when.

Frame (+shock if full sus), forks and wheels will dictate the riding characterstics and ultimate ‘feel’ of the bike, the other bits are just gravy IMHO.

ninfan
    Free Member

1/3 frame
    1/3 forks
    1/3 components – drivetrain, brakes, bars, seat post etc
    1/3 finishing kit, headset etc

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve seen quite a few what bike threads (mostly road) and the general consensus seems to be spend most of the budget on Frame Fork and Wheels

mountain bikes have less rules…

pick whats important, i did a very geeky spreadsheet

beanum

ninfan, do you work for the NHS by any chance? 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

I get the upgrade path but what if you’re not planning to do that and just want the best bike you can get right now? I’d think that a cheaper frame with full ultegra and great finishing kit and wheels would be a better ride than an uber frame with Tiagra and cheaper parts.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

lol

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘How to allocate a budget for a bike or build’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM