Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 151 total)
  • How often do you weigh yourself?
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

Virtually never these days. I tend to be able to feel when I’m a bit porky or snake-like. Used to do it daily & it can become a bit of a pointless obsession imho.

DrP

It’s more the long term trend that gives you a picture and you become more aware of how your body can swing several lbs in a day, or a few minutes… stuff that weighing yourself once a fortnight doesn’t help you understand.

Not wanting to force an argument (I’d better leave STW then…!), but you say the right thing, then contradict yourself!
    You are correct – the aim of weight loss is “more the long term trend”, so there’s no real benefit in “become[ing] more aware of how your body can swing several lbs in a day, or a few minutes…” is there.

As long as the overall trend is down, you’re losing weight….

DrP

grum
    Free Member

Are you fat though Grum, right now?

Er, yeah. Though getting less so reasonably steadily at the moment. What’s your point?

I reckon if the weight had started going up too much as an adult it’d have given me a clue that I needed to take some action.

I dunno, I knew when I was getting fat, but I had more pressing things bothering me at the time.

At the moment it’s just nice knowing I can do a 3lb crap.

Each to their own. 😕 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s not really a contradiction DrP… people at work herald success because they’ve lost 2 lb since their last fortnightly weigh in… does this mean they’ve lost weight or they’re dehydrated?

What happens when 2 weeks later they’ve lost no more and a further 2 weeks later they’re back where they’ve started?

camo16
    Free Member

Gaining muscle is pretty flipping hard.

My mental image of Southern ‘Chuck Norris’ Yeti is now subject to change.

binners

Its all getting a bit…

DrP

What happens when 2 weeks later they’ve lost no more and a further 2 weeks later they’re back where they’ve started?

The diet’s failed.

DrP

(edited to remove the question mark!)

MrSmith
    Free Member

about 2-3 times a year.
    it’s always been between 65.5-67kg depending on how much cycling.
    it actually drops then raises when i have the time to get back on the bike as the tiny bit of fat goes quickly then the muscle takes a bit longer to add.
    i’m stick thin though so i can go to another hole on my belt tighter but have actually put on weight as muscle is denser than fat.

grum
    Free Member

I reckon that this is extremely rare although theoretically correct. Gaining muscle is pretty flipping hard.

I dunno, I reckon gaining muscle must be a lot easier for someone who’s quite fat but does some reasonably hard physical exercise – hence why body builders etc bulk up first. I guess lots of fatties say this but I think I do have quite a lot of muscle as well as all the lard – I really don’t think you’d guess I weigh 17.5 stone from looking at me.

I went from around size 40″ waist to around 34″ once and barely lost any weight at all, maybe half a stone.

cynic-al
    Free Member

3lb crap LOL

Taff
    Free Member

Before and after dump!

Watch myself anyway for medical records but noticed I’ve put on 1/2 stone in last 5 weeks thanks to a whole load of cycling.

GrahamS

I guess lots of fatties say this but I think I do have quite a lot of muscle as well as all the lard

Lard is heavy – you (we) need extra muscles to carry it!

If you strapped 20kg of weights on to a skinny person and made them wear it every day then they’d soon get more muscles too 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

hence why body builders etc bulk up first.

Isn’t that to ensure they’re getting at least enough calories?

DezB
    Free Member

Never weigh myself.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

I generally don’t weigh myself. I go on how my clothes feel on me – if they are tight, I know I’m a bit porky and need to sort it out!

rkk01
    Free Member

As long as the overall trend is down, you’re losing weight….

Not if that “trend” is based on one weihing per week / fortnight / month.

The differences could just be sampling variance, or natural bodyweight variance, and nothing to do with overall change.

I do not weigh daily to know how heavy I am. I weigh daily to build up a dataset that provides a good baseline

druidh
    Free Member

Before every ride so that Endomondo gets the calorie calculation correct.

DrP

The differences could just be sampling variance, or natural bodyweight variance, and nothing to do with overall change.

And how would a more frequent weighing interval iron out that variance?
    To be satisfied someone is losing weight, I’d want to see a progressive/sustained weight loss over a prolonged period of time.

DrP

phil.w
    Free Member

What rkk01 said.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

Everyday at the same time.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Everyday wiegh-in and body fat measurement (using DXA) every month 🙂

phil.w
    Free Member

And how would a more frequent weighing interval iron out that variance?

Have you ever plotted a graph or are you just being argumentative?

To be satisfied someone is losing weigh, I’d want to see a progressive/sustained weight loss over a prolonged period of time.

If you only weigh them every, say, two weeks how would you know if their weight loss, or lack of, is actually dehydration or extra retained water?

The more data points you have the more accurate your average reading.

GrahamS

Before every ride so that Endomondo gets the calorie calculation correct.

That’s a seriously dubious calorie calculation anyway, unless you have a heart rate monitor and the latest version of the Endomondo client on Android (which is the only one with the new method at the mo).

https://getsatisfaction.com/endomondo/topics/how_are_the_calories_burned_calculated
    https://getsatisfaction.com/endomondo/topics/how_are_the_calories_burned_calculated_a_new_method

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

PhilW – I lost 4 lb on Friday night by eating a chinese meal, 2 bags of chocolate popcorn and drinking a lot of beer. If I can just think of a catchy name I’m going to start a diet craze.

I think DrP should be ignored for asking how having more data helps reduce sampling error.

metalheart
    Free Member

Atm I weigh myself most mornings (and if I’m being honest, most evenings before going to bed too… 😳 )

Started when I was really pretty fat and reinforced by starting the idiet and seeing an almost daily drop for the first fortnight. I find the fluctuations quite interesting.

But I don’t gaze at myself in the mirror… 😉

rockitman

Every Saturday or Sunday morning. Then I write it on the calendar. It’s encouraging to see the weightloss from the start of the year

miketually
    Free Member

Muscle weighs more than fat, so someone who is overweight can completely change their physique, lose fat and gain muscle and still weigh exactly the same.

A kilo of fat weighs exactly the same as a kilo of muscle 🙂

I suspect a lot of the weight people put on when increasing exercise is probably water, rather than muscle. Does the body react to exercise by storing more glycogen? And every gram of glycogen stored needs 4g of water?

rkk01
    Free Member

I think DrP should be ignored for asking how having more data helps reduce sampling error.

I think MrP should be ignored for asking how having more data helps reduce sampling error…. 😉

Unless, of course, the “Dr” bit is for a non-medical or non-scientific PhD…!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

A kilo of fat weighs exactly the same as a kilo of muscle

But how much does a kilo of feathers weigh?

DrP

If you only weigh them every, say, two weeks how would you know if their weight loss, or lack of, is actually dehydration or extra retained water?

The same can be said (and is likely to be more pronounced) for making daily measurements. The day to day natural variability in a person’s weight make ‘daily weigh ins’ for the purpose of clinical weight loss ‘not so useful’.

I’m also aware that the greater number of data points can make more accurate graphs, but for this purpose, it frequently proves to disappoint or over-exaggerate the actual effect (or lack of) of ones perceived diet.

Plus… I didn’t ask how having more data would iron it out – I asked how more frequent weighing would do!

DrP

binners

But how much does a kilo of feathers weigh?

And what would happen if you put them both on a conveyor belt? Would the feathers take off?

kudos100
    Free Member

I reckon that this is extremely rare although theoretically correct. Gaining muscle is pretty flipping hard.

Extremely rare amongst people who don’t lift weights and eat tons of carbs. Gaining muscle is harder than losing fat, but it is not that tough to gain a stone of muscle. The trouble is, most people want to do it in 5 weeks rather than 5 months.

IanMunro
    Free Member

It wieghs 1kgf. Nothing weighs a kilo 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

GrahamS – that was merely a little jape.

rkk01
    Free Member

🙄

But, as you (probably) know – that’s not the point being made. A given volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat

GrahamS

If you are weighing yourself at the same time every day then you are potentially just reinforcing a sampling error.

You really need to weigh yourself every hour.
    Or perhaps randomly throughout the day and night. 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m thinking of putting my office chair on a set of scales… I could live stream the results?

GrahamS

Now you’re talking. You’d have to account for the weight of anything you pick up though.

miketually
    Free Member

But, as you (probably) know – that’s not the point being made. A given volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat

Hence the smilie in my post.

miketually
    Free Member

Nothing weighs a kilo

This is true, but a kilo of fat and a kilo of muscle both weigh the same, assuming no variation in gravity.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘How often do you weigh yourself?’ is closed to new replies.