Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • How much to renovate two bathrooms?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

*Hopefully* getting a new house that needs a bit of cosmetic work doing – I think I will be starting on the two bathrooms.

Work will include ripping out some built-in wardrobes (called a ‘dressing room on the plans below), moving the stud wall so it is inline with the main wall to the left (inc all making good), supply and fit a 3 piece suite + separate power shower in main bathroom, supply and fit a wet room power shower + toilet and basin in the en-suite. We’ll be keeping the airing cupboard.

I can do some of the work (painting, tiling, smashing things up etc) but want to leave the fitting and plumbing to a professional.

It’s this place http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36960913.html if it helps.

I am guesstimating around £6k (for labour and all fittings – we will supply the fittings) right now – don’t want to go overboard on fittings but don’t want the cheapest there is either.

Cheers all.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

6k sounds about right. We had 2 done last year, family bathroom plus ensuite. Suite/shower/fittings all came from Travis Perkins, local plumber fitted suite and did a bit of tiling. Flooring plus bits came and it all came to 6k, but we didn’t go ott with the suite.

hammerite
    Free Member

Ours was £4k for one bathroom a few years back, but I do live in the relative south…. We didn’t push the boat out too much either. So you’re estimate is probably about right.

nealglover
    Free Member

I would say a fair bit more than £6k if you want a wet room, and you want it doing properly.

br
    Free Member

Depends on where you are, and you’ll be able to save on labour if you can get in the local non-VAT self-employed trades yourself.

johndoh
    Free Member

Bump for evening crowd…

johndoh
    Free Member

Any more thoughts? Cheers

creamegg
    Free Member

Depends on the spec but £6k to £8k is very dooable. Could be done cheaper if you search round for materials / fittings. For example the last bathroom i fitted out all the tiles were sourced from very high end supplier where usual retail price was in excess of £80/m was bought for under £15 to £10/m. They sometimes get return stock from larger projects which they are happy to sell on a large discounted price. The only issues being that you might have to buy all or nothing and check you have the quantities required for your bathrooms as you wont get extra stock in at the same price.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I have just done a bathroom for about £6k.

It involved taking a wall down, moving a door replacing a window. The bathroom was completely re plumbed and rewired.

The labour and plumbing components was £3.5k. I spent about £2.5k on suite, lights, and tiles etc.

I shopped around and bought good quality “branded” stuff, if I had paid full price for the taps, shower, cubicle etc, it would of cost me about £4k for the big stuff.

There are big savings to be made but you have to be willing to take a chance and spend time looking around. e.g. Shower cubicle brand new off ebay for £150, the same cubicle for sale on-line for around £400. Taps can be eye watering expensive!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘How much to renovate two bathrooms?’ is closed to new replies.