Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • how much in Customs/VAT/Duty will I have to pay on Sunglasses from the USA
  • freeagent
    Free Member

If I buy a pair of sunglasses from the USA off ebay for £68, how much am I going to end up paying for customs/VAT/Duty/anything else?

I’ve not bought anything from the USA before and am a bit concerned it might wipe out any potential savings…

cheers in advance.

Slogo
    Free Member

Get them to throw the receipt away and get them to mark it as a gift!

popstar
    Free Member

Recently have bought projectors bulbs etc to the tune of $400 on US site. No extra custom bills whatsoever. Got few fairly expensive items on ebay from china … and again nothing. I know luck plays big part in it, so far liking it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Depends on who ships. Factor in 20 for a handling fee and then 20% vat on top maybe a import duty on top. No reputable seller should send as gift.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Double post

freeagent
    Free Member

OK thanks – seller has stated they use USPS – so worst case I could be paying as much as 40% on top? Hmm.. not such a bargain.. ;o(

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Duty will be 2.5% of goods and shipping, then 20% VAT on top, plus a handling fee from Royal Mail (£4?) or Parcel Farce (£8+).

Northwind

Urban legend says USPS gets targeted less for duty than most couriers. Absolute luck of the draw as far as I can tell though.

(surprised nobody’s gone all high and mighty about tax dodging! I’ve no problem at all with duty (though charging it on shipping is cheeky) but the parcel force handling fee is a joke- especially considering the poor service they give.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What surprises me is that people think it’s mostly the retailers over here pocketing the difference. The government takes a nice slice before it even gets out the container. All us prices are quoted with no sales tax. Have a look on crc and pop your delivery country as oz and see the vat free price.

skids
    Free Member

I ordered some headphones from the USA and royal mail charged me £8 just for handling it and the VAT on top. If the sender sent it as a gift you probably won’t have to pay anything, most legitimate business’s won’t do that though

jota180
    Free Member

There’ll be no duty to pay as they’re valued at less than £135
    You will have to pay VAT though and probably a handling charge

CountZero

I bought a small hardback book from the States, cost, IIRC, was around $12. I paid £12 in VAT and handling to get it from the Post Office! You can imagine how ripped off I felt…
    Edit], just remember, there was a CD with it as we’ll, both signed, total cost was $30.
    Still a lot added on top at this end.

lasty
    Free Member

If a private seller get them to send as a gift – its been mentioned before but most businesses wont. Expect to pay a few quid in rip-off handling charges this end though …

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘how much in Customs/VAT/Duty will I have to pay on Sunglasses from the USA’ is closed to new replies.