Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • How much alcohol to kill you?
  • doncorleoni
    Free Member

In a Sunday lunch coma… Kids watching crap on TV… Pissing down. Anyway I digress….. Watching lots of crap on YouTube and stumbled upon this chap shoenice (don’t ask how) and seems apart from eating weird stuff his main form of “entertainment” is to down whole bottles of spirits in one go.

Such as this:
    https://youtu.be/z7gXTS9Ptlk

Now assuming this is real and not actually faked how the hell can this guy not be dead? I guess he just throws it all up after doing it.

RobHilton
    Free Member

The LD50 is less than you might think

mattyfez

Depends on tolerance, but still that much that fast has to be incredibly dangerous.

He must be throwing it back up afterwards surely..

Edit, and as above, there’s a lot more than 13 standard measures in a 75cl or a 1 litre bottle of spirits.

scaredypants

Clearly a cock – there’s a bit of genetics and some luck (and maybe some planning, or cheating) involved in surviving shit like that; that necknomination thing killed a few people.

I’m not clicking to fund the ****

tomhoward

Well, a lad had to be carried out of our Xmas party on Friday night, almost immediately after having done a bottle of red in one hit, I imagine tripling the strength of it would have had somewhat more serious consequences.

*same lad had to be rushed to hospital, and resuscitated, after having being handed a bottle of poppers and electing to drink the lot, rather than enjoy the aroma

Edit, and as above, there’s a lot more than 13 standard measures in a 75cl or a 1 litre bottle of spirits.

The crucial thing to making it more dangerous is taking that amount (a pint) in one go, rather than over an evening, and you’ve got to really want to do that.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

You don’t need alcohol to kill you, you are going to die anyway. Booze just eases the pain

salad_dodger

There was a lad in our school who downed a bottle of whisky during a woodwork lesson. We must have been 14 or 15 at the time. The joys of being in the remedial class.

Jamie
    Free Member

You don’t need alcohol to kill you, you are going to die anyway. Booze just eases the pain

Have you considered a job in the greeting card message industry?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

stu170
    Free Member

I used to work with a chap who’s party trick was to neck a bottle of wine in one hit, one Christmas do he got to 5 on the trot before the boss stopped him. He spent the rest of the night with him face in his dinner. Felt ok the next morning after a fry up. The guy is an animal

andyt1054
    Free Member

True story, around this time last year…..

Through work I met a polish male who had drunk a litre of vodka, then jumped in his car, drove to the shop and bought two more, when he was stopped he was halfway down the second before he’d even got home (5 minute journey!) the third bottle still in the back seat. He walked unaided and talked happily as he got into our car and didn’t appear that drunk… He was almost 4 times over the limit….

I asked him if he was an alcoholic – he replied, “in England yes, back home in my country, no!”

The chap was genuinely a nice guy, even when I told him he he wasn’t allowed to drive in the uk without insurance….

I recently spoke to the designer of one of the approved breath test devices used in the uk, he said in the last 5 years he has had to recalibrate his line of machines as people were now regularly recording levels of alcohol in breath that previously would suggest the machine was faulty.

Scary times …..

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Certainly is Andy. Used to work as a site manager for office refits. We used loads of temp staff from all over. Overnight stays anywhere were particularly eye opening…. A quiet night would be 8-10 pints, get up 6.30am, fry up then out to site. Some of the guys would go to the pub for lunch (not supposed to but they did) bosh another 3 pints. Finish the afternoon and back down the pub for dinner and more beer. Repeat x5 nights of the week. God knows what they were like at the weekend.

Pretty certain some of the guys were drinking all day from hidden bottles and beer from service station stops (minibus was basically filled with old cans and bottles of vodka / brandy).

I probably have drunk more than I should for certain on more than a few occasions. I do enjoy drinking and happily polish off a bottle of red to myself a couple times a week (although trying to cut this down to half).

I think alot of this kind of drinking is hidden in society.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I knew a guy who downed a pint of spirits every so often as a dare/bet. That’s about the 13 measures given above (which are unusually large shots). He’d usually have a couple of pints of beer first. I’ve had that many units (as beer) in a evening, and I’m sure others here have too. So the lethalness may be slightly exaggerated…

Not done anything like that for a good many years though!

zippykona

2 beers and I’m looking in a bad way.

jambourgie
    Free Member

drunk a litre of vodka… halfway down the second… almost 4 times over the limit

That’s interesting. So you could potentially have about a third of a litre of vodka and still blow under? Unless my maths is wrong (likely).

mefty
    Free Member

At university, there was a club where we drank pink panthers in happy hour, six old measures of gin in a pint glass topped up with orange juice and a dash of grenadine. The record in one sitting was 13, approx. 2.5 bottles of gin, he survived, can’t remember if he was sick though.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

That’s interesting. So you could potentially have about a third of a litre of vodka and still blow under? Unless my maths is wrong (likely).

Genuine question and interested to know how this works: given the speed at which he was drinking is there a chance that the alcohol has had time to fully enter his system and could he have recorded a higher result if the test had been taken an hour later?

elzorillo
    Free Member

Fella at the sailing club last week drank 6 bottles of wine, one after the other.. The only effect was that he cried.. then passed out. Next day he was 100% fine. Not even a hangover !!!

jambourgie
    Free Member

He most likely threw it all up in the night. After waking up pissing himself 😆

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Too much internet will kill you inside.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not even a hangover !!!

Hmmmmm….

Sounds like the gambler who never loses.

Spin
    Free Member

Don’t know about alcohol but it was too much love that killed Freddie Mercury in the end.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Apparently in Russia if you drink yourself to death it’s classed as natural causes…

carlosg
    Free Member

When I was 15, a schoolmates parents went away for a week leaving him and his sister at home #partytime . Turned out my locker key fit their drinks cabinet (ooops) .

We opened a bottle of Bells and I ended up drinking about 3/4 of the bottle. I was paralytic they chucked me onto the patio when I was going to puke as I was unable to move and I passed out as I remember nothing till about 10am the next day (still pissed).

I must have been pretty close to dying and even the smell of whisky had me running to the loo for years afterwards. Not big or clever just the stupid shit you do as a teenager.

spacemonkey

It’s sad how the internet encourages dickheads like that YouTuber to do shit like that. Even more so when people big up he’s antics.

TiRed

Most people who record a blood alcohol level four times over the limit will be in a coma. Your friend is a seasoned alcoholic i am afraid. People who consume large amounts of alcohol CAN perform tasks adequately that normal people would fail to do

Studies to get to those levels of alcohol intake normally administer it by IV infusion. Then the subjects fall asleep! We do conduct alcohol interaction studies. Recruitment is never a problm!

zanelad
    Free Member

Sounds like the gambler who never loses

Why? Just cos you couldn’t do it? My old boss could be as pissed as a newt at 3am, by 7,30 he’d appear at breakfast none the worse for wear. Not driving of course, but no hangover, no headache, no upset tummy.

You just need to be a serious drinker.

ton

my regular 6 pints of 3.4% ossett blonde dont seem to bad all of a sudden.

salad_dodger

How regular is regular ton?

ton

just saturdays mate.

wiggles
    Free Member

When I was younger I used to do some pretty stupid levels of drinking, Have the xrays and scars to prove it 😆
    We used to buy the cheapest “wine” possible from the local corner shop that would sell to us when we were about 16 and get through 4 bottles each as fast as possible because it tasted so bad, also I remember (not sure how) drinking a washing up bowl full of cider at a house party.

Don`t drink very often at all now though very rarely at home and if I do go out usually dont have more than a few pints.

toby1

Kid at my school drowned in his own vomit whilst sleeping. So that much.

Once in my early years I did something similar, but I sleep on my side and woke up next to it. So I just got really lucky.

Go careful kids!

RobHilton
    Free Member

Studies to get to those levels of alcohol intake normally administer it by IV infusion

Mainlining grog!! 😯 😯

At least it’s under controlled conditions – I’ve heard of alcohol every enemas, sounds seriously dangerous.

I did a litre of vodka once in my 20s, was in bed for 3 days, ill as **** and should probably have been in hospital.

poly
    Free Member

Those LD50 values are a bit misleading… firstly 45mL shots are not what we typically get served here (that’s almost a double in most pubs).

Secondly they are derived from animal studies, unless they exposed the animal to alcohol over a prolonged period it doesn’t represent the typical drinking habits of YouTube stunt vloggers.

Thirdly they assume a 75kg person. Obviously in today’s society that is probably not a fair value for an adult male.

Put all those together and it’s quite feasible that someone who was a seasoned drinker weighing 100kg could nock back a bottle (750mL) of vodka (38%), without actually exceeding the theorietical lethal dose.

Finally the LD50 level is a bit of a vague measure anyway – it’s the dose at which 1/2 the population die, but it tells you nothing about the distribution of tolerance: if the LD50 is 300mL pure alcohol, it might be some people die at 100 and some survive to 1000, or it might be everyone survives to 250 and nobody makes it over 350.

TiRed

You might also like to know that average UK consumption of alcolhol is 11.6 litres of pure ethanol per person per year. Since a unit is 10 ml (8g), that gives a weekly consumption of 22.3 units. Some people must be drinking a LOT of alcohol!

Poopscoop

^^

Ethanol?

Hope not! Everyone must be blind!

TiRed

That’s methanol…

To standardise alcohol consumption all drinks are converted to their ethanol equivalent; beers, wines, spirits.

RobHilton
    Free Member

@poly Yep, that’s all correct. There’s no accurate way of answering the OP’s query without each of us drinking so much we die, though :mrgreen:

funkmasterp

I can barely walk after two pints and would definitely be dead after a full bottle of spirits. Rarely drink at all these days. In my teens I shotgunned three tins of special brew as a bet. I lost all my friends and was staggering home clinging to garden walls. I attempted a shambolic run between two walls and was run over by an old fella reversing out of his driveway 😳

johnx2
    Free Member

drowned in his own vomit whilst sleeping.

Horrible.

Drowning in someone else’s vomit wouldn’t be great either.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘How much alcohol to kill you?’ is closed to new replies.