Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 170 total)
  • How many MPG does you car do?
  • Edric64
    Free Member

My old mk3 golf diesel (non turbo)does 45 ish driven like a **** cos its gutless and about 53 if driven like a dull git on the motorway

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Because this is England

In Wales it’s not.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

The Ampera is a plug-in in hybrid. The MPG test for plug in vehicles is different so I don’t really think they can be compared.

Yeah, some great greenwash going on

If you really want efficient then this is your future

hoodie
    Free Member

VW Golf IV Estate TDI PD 100

Consistent 50mpg average with a real mix of realworld driving conditions (Devon aint flat).

Possibly the most boring car ive ever owned (used to have a Caterham 7 ;-0) -but its also probably the best allrounder.

PePPeR

My old Kia Sedona is awful about 28Mpg in normal running around and 33 if we take it steady on a run.

There again, when the weight of the damm thing and size of the engine is taken into account 2.2T empty and 2.9lt Engine, then it’s pretty ok, we are normally running with seven people in the car and bikes on the back and a roofbox on top. All things considered I’ll take it! I’ve thought about exchanging it for a more economical car but the cost to change would far far outweigh the improved consumption we’d get. SO it stays!

My wife runs a little 1.2 Twingo Mk1 body to and fro for the commute and she consistently gets 55MPG out of it.

2.5 tonne, 2.5 litre TDCi 140bhp (chipped to 170bhp) Ford Ranger pick-up. Thrashed 27mpg, sensible 34mpg, average 30mpg. Towing a 1700kg caravan 22-23mpg

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Clio dci gets between 68-74mpg for a tank depending on how much about town i do.

Usually fill it up at about 680miles but probably could got to about 750 for the tank.

Great wee runner.

5lab

I’m not sure the ford ranger weighs that much. quick google suggests 1800-1900kg?

Mine does, had it on a weighbridge the other week taking some scrap in – it has a hardtop, heavy duty towbar and tools in – was a bit under to he honest, but not much

PePPeR

2.5 tonne, 2.5 litre TDCi 140bhp (chipped to 170bhp) Ford Ranger pick-up.

They aren’t that heavy, we use them for work and the come in at about 1.7T normal pick up and 1.8 crew cab, we need to know cos we’ve been done for being over laden! 😳

Edukator
    Free Member

It doen’t matter, it’s the gallons you use per year that matter.

Approx 1333 in my case then Edukator

Edukator
    Free Member

1333 gallons! Sheeesh!

singlecrack
    Free Member

Focus 1.8tdci about 45mpg on average
    Berlingo 1.6 hdi about 55mpg on average
    Aprilia Mille Rsvr 1000 about 20 on average (but its money well spent :lol:)

nowthen
    Free Member

About 9 mpg… Ooops

julians
    Free Member

civic type r does about 30mpg
    audi s3 does about 24mpg
    caterham 7 does about 10mpg on track, maybe 25 off it.

mandog

2001 VW T4 2.5tdi 36 mpg

1998 Nissan Almera 1.6 petrol 33 mpg

molgrips
    Free Member

VW Passat saloon 2.0 TDI Auto 2006 – 52-55 summer 48-52 winter
    Toyota Prius 2006 – 60-62 summer, 54-57 winter

I drive at the speed limit all the time and do a lot of motorway, but I know how to maximise mpg without going slowly.

rickmeister

TVW T5 174 mapped to 220 inc dpf filter removal 35 ish mpg
    Smart for two 55 mpg
    ZZR 1100 dont know, its too much fun. 225 miles per tank touring… down to 120 per tank at a steady 150mph.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Wunundred! 😀

It does not in any way really.

I don’t even have a car. 😳

I can’t even drive….

br
    Free Member

Definately think this post ought to be x-ref against the ‘becoming your dad’ post, but at least I now know why most queue’s of traffic have a car at the front ambling along at 40mph, its a STWer.

BMW 535i
    Motorway 25mpg as long as kept below 100, and 20ish around town.
    Triumph 1050
    53mpg, no matter how hard its ridden

But tbh on trips to my folks driving at the rate the fuel-misers do would cost me an additional meal – 370 miles would take all day 😕

Edukator – Member

1333 gallons! Sheeesh!

Yup, out of my own pocket (well, my business anyway).

mau00149
    Free Member

Sitting at 30-34 mpg for a subaru impreza 2.0 petrol (non turbo) whether loaded with kit/bikes or just myself….got a spreadsheet with all the fuel i’ve used since i got the car around 3 years ago (how sad I am I!!)

Around 40 average for 1.5 lsi Honda civic before the impreza

This little graph may be of interest to people as well as made it to see how much I could potentially save per month on fuel based on avrage monthly mileage over the last 12 months.

TatWink
    Free Member

Freelander 2 2.2 td4 – 35 mpg
    Mini Cooper S – 32 mpg
    Westfield Cosworth – 15 mpg

molgrips
    Free Member

Re the Ampera/Volt tests, it’s not exactly greenwash because they do the same test as other cars, but it’s not representative. Of course GM aren’t in a hurry to rectify that…

There’s been some movement in the US to create a new test for these kinds of cars. If you only do trips of less than 40 miles you’ll get unlimited miles per gallon of petrol…

but if you drive it further than ~ 40 miles without a recharge it is worse than a standard diesel.

Sure about that? Citation?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Of course the question is: why the chuff do we measure mpg when we sell petrol in litres?

Is to makes people thinks they get more for their money.

The Yerpeans use metric cos it sounds like more:

Ah oui mamselle; c’est fifteen centimetres; c’est magnifique, non?

Sounds more impressive than un demi-pied, does not in any way it? 😐

Dirty cheating…

docrobster
    Free Member

I assume you mean 16-18 miles per gallon. Of oil.

Only half a litre in the first 6 weeks/1500 miles. Being gentle with it…

souldrummer
    Free Member

I get approx 36 mph out of my T reg 1.8 16V Laguna. Seems OK to me given the age of the car, and the fact that I mainly drive 15 miles each way to work each day.

Junkyard
    Free Member

about 65 combined iirc and more on Mway and £30 tax.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh and all those quoting high mpg figures at a constant 60mph – pah. My car would do 70-80mpg at 60mph if I could be bothered to drive it that slowly on the motorway!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Pug partner 1.9 43mpg
    1.4 golf 41mpg
    2.5 td land rover 90 28 mpg ( post service …. Pre it was 19 )

molgrips
    Free Member

28 mpg ( post service …. Pre it was 19 )

Holy cow.. did they tell you what they did?

Northwind

Not really sure… 45mpg seems to be about right, for allround driving, I’ve got a bit of a heavy foot but that’s balanced out by the fact that it’s a bit feeble. Focus 1.8TD.

mboy
    Free Member

X Reg Audi A4 Quattro 2.5 V6 TDi does between 36-38mpg on average (42-44 according to the wildly inaccurate computer), below 30mpg if thrashed and more than 40mpg on a run.

Most surprised so far by WCA’s 6 litre Merc averaging 22.3mpg! I’m sure the computer is lying. More like 16-18mpg I’d bet, unless he drives it like his Grandad, which I can bet he doesn’t!

thv3
    Free Member

Honda Civic 2.2CDTI – 55mpg combined, real world figures, commuting on A type roads with a bit or city driving too. I’m sure I could do better, but can’t be bothered tbh.

br
    Free Member

Most surprised so far by WCA’s 6 litre Merc averaging 22.3mpg! I’m sure the computer is lying. More like 16-18mpg I’d bet, unless he drives it like his Grandad, which I can bet he doesn’t!

If its anything like my 535i, he could probably spend all day keeping up with traffic and the engine is just ticking-over – especially with autos.

iainc

busy commute, lots of stop start, often longish weekend drives, bike racks live on roof, rarely boot it and only occasionally go over 75 on MWay. Over the 32K miles from new the trip computes says 42.1 mpg.

BMW 318d tourer, efficient dynamics, stop start etc etc.

IMO it really is all down to the type of driving, rather than the way the car is driven or what it can do in a test simulation

Oh, and the wife’s 1.8 petrol Cmax does 28 mpg on average, all short journeys, school run, 5 mile work commuete on busy roads.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

’92 Lexus LS400 21mpg commuting, 30mpg motorway
    ’98 Audi A4 2.4 30V V6 Petrol 33mpg
    ’53 Audi A6 2.5 TDi 37mpg
    ’60 Skoda Octavia vRS 2.0 TDi 51mpg
    ’02 Partner Quicksilver 1.4 petrol 40mpg
    ’58 Yamaha Tenere 58mpg
    ’94 Triumph Speed Triple 45mpg.
    Granted the last two might not be much use, and I haven’t mentioned my ’75 Chevy Nova with a 350bhp SBC that did 7mpg.

timber

Amazed by all the ‘eco’ models of car being thrashed along, the regular versions would probably be more efficient being hammered as they wouldn’t be under the same strain to maintain outside lane progress.

Got an 04 Mondeo 130 TDCi, 180k miles, thrashed hard, we live in the Welsh hills, take the short-cuts over the mountain roads, I am quite impatient, all police car locations memorised – and still it rarely goes below 50mpg (measured). Could be amazing if driven miserly, or even just within the rules more often.

molgrips
    Free Member

Amazed by all the ‘eco’ models of car being thrashed along, the regular versions would probably be more efficient being hammered as they wouldn’t be under the same strain to maintain outside lane progress

a) no
    b) people often buy the eco cars sown South so they don’t have to pay the London congestion charge.
    c) you might drive economically most of the time but be in a hurry that particular day.

IMO it really is all down to the type of driving, rather than the way the car is driven or what it can do in a test simulation

No, it’s down to the car AND how it’s driven. Some cars are more sensitive than others to driving style or technique.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘How many MPG does you car do?’ is closed to new replies.