Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How many miles for an xtr casette???
  • Zone
    Free Member

Interested what peoples expectations are for the xtr level of component…

I know there's a lot of variables… 😉

The laymans guide for me has always been 3 chains at 500 miles off road,each chain fitted three times in order… =4500 miles ish.. and viola your Xtr cassette is dead! But has been drained of every last ounce of use…

Not the case it seems these days… The metal seems as soft as shit! and chains are just bollox….

🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

race componantry …..not the workhorse it used to be

about 3 laps at strathpuffer or a descent season

Daffy

2000-2500 miles

Zone
    Free Member

Yep Daffy…that's as it seems… I worked it back and for sure about 1500 miles… 🙁 hard to justify to you retail purchase guys.. 😳
    supposed to be £160+ worth of kit…

Kramer
    Free Member

I'd always choose an X0 cassette over XTR, just because it's a little bit more bling.

njee20
    Free Member

You mean a PG990? Which is more like XT, often heavier too!

I get a season out of an XTR cassette, don't change chains though. Changing the chain after about 3 months is usually long enough to have taken out the cassette though.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I use a lot of XTR, but the cassette is one of the things I've stopped using, it doesn't shift any better than XT, it doesn't last any longer than XT and its only a small amount lighter than XT, for me its not worth the huge difference in price.

njee20
    Free Member

I'd agree with that now, when they were £90 at retail they were good, but it's always been by far the hardest piece of the groupset to justify. If I get a bike with XTR I'll use it until it dies, then most likely fit an XT one!

DezB
    Free Member

The cogs on my XTR cassette lasted 2+ years (dunno how many miles) but the SPLINES wore out. I guess they are ti, but it became very loose and rattled on the freehub. Something SRAMs and XTs have never done.
    Waste of money IMO.

njee20
    Free Member

I've never seen that happen I must admit!

I had particularly destroyed the biggest of the steel sprockets, which should last the longest, guess they get used the most. They were rather pointy.

thefettler
    Free Member

Did 21500ks on an xt,touring bike (surly trucker)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How many miles for an xtr casette???’ is closed to new replies.