Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How many bolts will 100ml of resin fix ?
  • I want to put a few bolts in to brickwork.
    It’s a bit close to the edge of old common bricks, so rather than risk using expanding anchor bolts, I thought I’d use resin anchors.
    Screwfix do a £15 100ml tube that doesn’t require the £30 applicator gun, but I can’t find any information on how many bolts it will do.

Does anyone know how many M8 studs in 50mm deep 10mm holes 100ml will do ?

Markie
    Free Member

Before you go that route, perhaps also consider multi montis?

I’ve had great results with them in poor brickwork, no expansion and strong hold. Also available from screw fix.

Edit: not that that helps your query at all.

maccruiskeen

With the resin tube doofers its not necessarily the quantity in the tube its the speed you are working at – the nozzles are quite quick to clog, so I’d want at least 3 nozzles with one tube unless I was working particularly fast. You can get the resin gun cheaper from Toolstation – more like £10 – £15.

The capsules might make more sense though if a gun isn’t work investing in

martinhutch

Ask on UK Climbing. Plenty of resin-bolt expertise on that.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I would say about 6 realistically. I use the bigger tubes personally. I think you’re supposed to use 20ml per hole, butt that always seems a bit much to me. Make sure you don’t drill through the brick, use a depth stop.

kevj
    Free Member

3.142 10
    78.55 Hole

3.142 8

50.272 Bolt

28.278 Annulus

50 mm Depth

1413.9 Volume
    Tube 100000 mm3

70.73 Bolt holes

But I’d allow for a portion of resin at the base.

The MAIN thing here to to thoroughly clean the hole out or the resin will bond to the dust reducing the tension capacity of the bolt.

EDIT; formatting has gone all to toss.

Thanks, kevj, I knew there would be someone who could do the maths for me. 😀
    You haven’t taken the thread of the bolt in to account though, it’s not a solid cylinder. 😛
    My rough calculations were that 100ml would completely fill 10 holes, 10mm square and 100mm deep, so allowing for a round hole being smaller, and having a bolt taking up most of the space, I calculated there was more than enough for what I want.

Good point about the depth stop, TheFunkyMonkey, I’d already thought I don’t want to pump the stuff straight through.

thomsonru84

Whether you use resin fix or expanding anchors is irrelevant to the edge distance both will pass the same load through the bolt into the brickwork.

Based on a 50mm deep hole you’ll only need to fill the back 18mm with resin to ensure that when you push the bolt in the resin fills only the hole and doesnt spill out the front wasting loads and making a mess.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How many bolts will 100ml of resin fix ?’ is closed to new replies.