Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 174 total)
  • How light is your road bike?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Came across an article about tdf winning machines from the past.. Basically from around the early 90s. Made me think how lucky we are to be able to own bikes that are far superior to those used by the pros not so long ago. Lance’s tour winning bike from 1999 weighed around 19lbs. My bottom of the range caad x isn’t much heavier than that.

I’m currently riding a ultegra equipped canyon ultimate sl from around 2015, which comes in at bang on 16lbs with pedals and 50mm aero rims. I paid a couple of grand for it.

I imagine you could build one up far lighter with a sizable budget, so who has the lightest roadie on here and what’s the spec?

tomhoward

Mines 15.5lbs ish with pedals and 2 cages. Not award winning weight, but it is an aero frame, with 50mm rims.

Jase
    Free Member

About 14.5lb, and cost about £2,200 brand new

tpbiker
    Free Member

Where do you get a bike weighing that for that price jase? That’s lighter than the top of the range sworks tarmac which costs 9k!

damascus
    Free Member

I do love a “what does your bike weigh?” thread. We need pictures of the bike on a set of scales and a brief description of components otherwise mine weighs 10 pounds 😋

I think it weighs around 19 pounds (xl carbon saracen Avro disc with hydraulic 105) but its got that many bags attached to it for carrying stuff for my commute to work it’s real weight with mudguards etc is probably 23 pounds.

tomhoward

A visual representation of the up coming thread…

STW bike weight competition

for those wanting detail on mine…

Cost at a bit more than 2 grand 😉

Jase
    Free Member

Where do you get a bike weighing that for that price jase? That’s lighter than the top of the range sworks tarmac which costs 9k!

Bought a brand new Scott Addict with Ultegra off someone for £800. Sold the Ultegra bits and replaced with Dura Ace (buying the bits separately meant finding some decent deals) and put on some 1480g wheels although admittedly already had super light bars (Bontrager) and saddle (135g SLR).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Used to have a spreadsheet of this, and the scales agreed.

16.3lb and <£1200

Caad4 (tiagra) -£300

1250g wheels with eBay hubs, revelations and stans alpha 340 (the older lighter ones). £220

Dura ace sti’s and mech -£200 (sh)

Dura ace chain and cassette -£80 (as new off someone’s TT bike)

FSA carbon chain set – £100 (as new, they were light but not fashionable)

SLR carbon/ti saddle £30 (sh)

Sensible wcs finishing kit.

Ultremo tyres and 50g tubes.

The odd alloy bolt and carbon trinket

It’d be 16 if I swapped the fork for a full carbon one.

Lance’s tour winning bike from 1999 weighed around 19lbs. My bottom of the range caad x isn’t much heavier than that.

Its not quite that simple, his 19lb bike probably had aero rims, power meter, and they’re limited in choices by sponsors. SRAM shifters might be light on  weightweenie build, but that’s of no use for a pro if they have to use zipp wheels as part of that contract. Where the weightweenie uses lightweights.

So lots of pro bikes weigh quite a bit more than the 16lb limit.

mcnultycop

Never weighed mine. Probably never will. It’s definitely lighter than my mountain bikes.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m not going to win a weight weenie contest with discs and 105 groupset including an 11-32 cassette, but ~8.5Kg.

downshep

About 23lbs?

Steel frame, mudguards, dynamo hub & lights, wire beaded tyres, 36 spoke wheels, traditional leather saddle and bar tape. Comfy but not light at all.

Metasequoia

I very much doubt Lance had aero rims and a power meter in 1999…

Lance’s tour winning bike from 1999 weighed around 19lbs. My bottom of the range caad x isn’t much heavier than that.

Its not quite that simple, his 19lb bike probably had aero rims, power meter, and they’re limited in choices by sponsors. SRAM shifters might be light on  weightweenie build, but that’s of no use for a pro if they have to use zipp wheels as part of that contract. Where the weightweenie uses lightweights.

So lots of pro bikes weigh quite a bit more than the 16lb limit.

Metasequoia

..might be wrong though…

Haze

6.9Kg last time I looked, I’m sure my rims and brake blocks have slimmed down a bit since

beej

What’s with all the lbs? Road bikes are measured in kilos.

6.4kg.

Was 6.25kg, but eTap added a bit. Focus Izalco Max.

regenesis
    Free Member

7.3kg for the Carbon PX Pro with full 105, Suoerstars (1260gs) with tubs, Superstars CNC stem. Bars/post are PX, etc but could all go a lot lighter but would’ve taken the build price waaaaay higher.

8.1kg for the PX RT58, Carbon fork, 105, same finishing kit as the Carbon, ISM Prologue saddle and Fulcrum Racing 5’s with 23’s and ultralight tubes.

Both were less than £700 each to build with all new components

plus-one

Felt Fr Frd

Dura Ace

Giant slr0 Wheelset

Weight weenie Chinese post/stripped slr

Carbon Bars/uno stem

Tubeless

Ultegra Carbon pedals

6.5kg or 14.5lbs

ajantom

About 25lbs and proud 😋

It’s a Genesis Vagabond monster-cross/gravel bike masquerading as a road bike….steel frame, 29er wheels, deore bits, 38c tyres. Comfy as hell, and surprisingly fast.

I do also have a 90s Klein Quantum with full campag. That’s light…maybe 18/19lbs. But I find it twitchy as hell and slightly scary after riding the Vagabond.

srshaw
    Free Member

About 7.2kg for an old Planet X pro carbon and dura ace (I know, I’ll upgrade the frame at some point) and 8.5kg for a caad 12 disc with 105.

whats with the pounds? I thought only Americans used pounds these days.

TimP
    Free Member

Do you have a link to the article?

damascus
    Free Member

Njee to the forum please 😁

mattbee

8.4kg on my scales for a 58cm PX RT58 carbon with Ultegra di2, Ksyriums and Deda finishing kit.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

About 5.5kg. Aluminium frame.

tomhoward

About 5.5kg. Aluminium frame

What about the rest of it?

dallas95
    Free Member

Cannondale supersix with sram red 10 speed from around 2012. Cost £1400 from eBay.

It weighs 7.3kg or 16.09lb which feels featherweight compared to my mtb’s.

geex
    Free Member

Holy headtube! That Trek up there is ugly

angeldust
    Free Member

Bought a brand new Scott Addict with Ultegra off someone for £800. Sold the Ultegra bits and replaced with Dura Ace (buying the bits separately meant finding some decent deals) and put on some 1480g wheels although admittedly already had super light bars (Bontrager) and saddle (135g SLR).

Not brand new then. Second hand.

tjagain

23 lbs and its singlespeed.  It is a 50 ish year old steel frame with solid (! ) alloy forks of similar vintage

srshaw – did you not get the memo.  Kgs are illegal inbrexit britain

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

What about the rest of it?

Not too much carbon

What!? It has been ridden on the road, therefore…

mboy
    Free Member

I do love a “what does your bike weigh?” thread. We need pictures of the bike on a set of scales and a brief description of components otherwise mine weighs 10 pounds

Haha, brilliant isn’t it! It’s on threads like this where, once you start digging, you’ll find most people are quoting weights without pedals, bottle cages, garmin mount etc. basically all the things they then fit because they NEED them to ride with! Hey ho…

Mine wasn’t built for pure lightweight… It’s light enough, but I had SRAM Red mechanical on before and it’s now some 400g or so heavier but there we go… The latest Ultegra R8050 Di2 is bloody awesome especially with the MT800 display unit too!

Weighs in at 7.7kg ready to ride, as you see in the pic. My old Wilier Zero7 came in at 6.9kg ready to ride (pictured below) but great climber though it was, the Colnago is a far superior ride IMO and faster everywhere especially on the flat and the downhills… Handles much better too!

Still got me round Ride London in a scarcely believable time mind…

Oh, and I had a Ritchey Logic built up pretty light… Given the 1800g+ frame weight, possibly the lightest one that I’ve seen as it came in at just over 7.8kg ready to ride!

Really wish the geometry on that Ritchey had suited me! Lovely bike, just too racy for my MAMIL frame…

Anyway… Weight isn’t everything!

anagallis_arvensis

No idea, quite a lot I reckon.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Cannondale supersix Hi-Mod. DA group set (with a sram red chainset and stages pm that I had from my last build) Deda superzero bars, stem and seat post. Lb rims laced to DA hubs. Got the frame for a bargaintastic £750 from Paul’s cycles, the DA group set for £600 from plant x. all in it stood me around the 2.4k mark. Alright it’s still a lot of money but a dam sight less than if I was going to by an equivalent bike off the self. Comes in at 7kg.

twowheels
    Free Member

My Arkose 4 stock apart from 28mm Conti GP4S/25mm GPIIs + Tubus rack + Bontrager mudguards + M540 SPDs is 11kg smack on (bathroom scales) so let’s say around 10.2kg wet without rack and mudguards.

Got 1.5th top percentile for the London Tri bike and ~11th pc for PRL100 this year with it so not too fussed about the weight given it has to be a year-round commuter bike too (due to space constraints).   However, if DengFu or HongFu, etc had a carbon disc frame with clearance for 30mm tyres + proper mudguards + rack with more aggressive geometry than the Arkose a ~8-8.5kg R8020 Ultegra build looks feasible.

stevious

Clicked on link. Saw mass measured in imperial units. Cried a little.

Last I measured mine was 7kg dead on. Canyon ultimate cf slx from 2015 with mavic ksyrium SLRS and ultegra.

mogrim

Holy headtube! That Trek up there is ugly

Thank god I’m not the only one! Anyway my Canyon weighs less than my B’Twin, but both weigh more than my mate’s Trek but he was f****d today and I beat him up every climb and had to drag him along all the flats. Which is the important thing.

tomlevell

Every component measured independantly and before tyre wear.

Willier GTR 8.264Kg or 18.22Lbs

Hill Climb race weight it goes down 83grams with the removal of cages and bolts. Then another 100 grams or so with Latex tubes (which I’m now chastising myself as I’ve not weighed them! About another 40 grams too due to wear on the tyres from the headline weight.

Does not include bottles or seat pack.

Not in any respect super light but it is lovely to ride.

Original setup before wheels and groupset got donated to the Winter Bike which was becoming unrideable.

Daffy

About 19lbs.  Tripster ATR.

cookeaa

I weighed mine a while ago and it came in at a shade over 9.5kg but that’s with a saddlebag full of tools and tubes, a mini pump and bottle cages.

Of course stick a couple of full bottles on it and it’s going to weigh a good 11kg+

As nice as it is to have a lighter bike, it’s quite easy to bump up the overall weight by lugging around sundry crap…

carbonroadrat
    Free Member

Thread full of fat old men showing how light their bikes are… Needles dick measuring.

Also that trek with the dura ace wheels – ugly

Thread is pointless. unless you post a picture of bike being weighed and a picture of your own fat arse being weighed too. Bet you wont.

w00dster

Picture of my old Trek Emonda SLR H1fit and a size 52. in that guise was just under 7kgs, about 6.6 with lighter wheels and saddle. The photo is set up for racing, I preferred alu brake track for spring crits when the weather is changeable. I have a stupidly light Bontrager XXX carbon saddle, about 70 grams and had light shallower wheels for weight weenie purposes. Also a bad photo of me racing on it, British Cycling masters race, I’m about 67kgs. (Does that mean I’m allowed a light bike?)

Unfortunately no naked photos of me on scales or the bike for those not trusting weights mentioned.

B3241B92-B373-4036-943E-60C027604AA6

7FCE035E-E53C-43CB-B509-EDF08EB0D570

Current bike is a Trek Domane with 105 and disc brakes, about 9kgs. Trying to decide at the moment on a new bike, whether to go light weight or Aero. Aero will come in at about 7.2kgs or light weight about 6.2 (manufacturers listed weights)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 174 total)

The topic ‘How light is your road bike?’ is closed to new replies.