Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • How good a bike would £1250 get you, new vs used etc. Big/med/small wheels?
  • rockhopper70

My mate is getting back into riding and has a budget around £1250.
    He has seen an alpine on ebay but I think it might be too much of a bike for what he’ll need, local riding round calderdale, occasional trail centre and very occasional alps trip.

As the owner of a 04 model bike, I’m out of the loop somewhat about modern bike prices/standards/geometries etc so I’m after some advice, on his behalf, from STW.

He’s happy to consider used if it was a good ‘un.

Thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

Im currently building up a s/h (immaculate) canyon nerve frame (29er, 100mmish I think fore and aft), fox shock & forks (£650ish), SLX drivetrain (new cranks/rear mech/chain/cassette) (£170is), s/h SLX brakes (£35), s/h SLX shifters (£25), Superstar wheels (£80), new superstar finishing kit (£100) = c£1000 +/-£50

It’s a hell of a bike for the cash, and looking great. It’s my first suspension/geared bike for nearly 9 yrs. I have no idea about all the new tech, but will have to learn.

Equivalent new spec from Canyon would be c.£2k. Equivalent from Orange probably starts with a £4k I bet! 😉

montylikesbeer
    rockhopper70

He’d prefer full suspension with his creaky back!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

This cost me just under £1200, before I worked in a bike shop. Some of it was used, a lot of it was new.
    Full XT 2×10, Revelations, DT240s hubs on 717s, Magura Louise Carbons, beautiful fillet blazed 853 Frame.

42/365 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

You’ve got to be smart, a bit lucky and keep your eyes peeled!

continuity
    Free Member

1250 would buy you a good secondhand 26 or 29, possibly carbon if you’re willing to go back to 2011-2012ish. Should be XT/X0 or better.

eBay, Pinkbike and here are good places to look.

Of course you take the risk on used and you may have to solve a few minor problems yourself, but the amount of bike you get for that vs new (see on-one above!) makes it a no-brainer.

continuity
    Free Member
    Tracey

I bought a 2013 Stumpjumper Expert carbon off here in the summer for less than that, hadnt been used alot and had new running gear. Moved some parts on and fitted some that we had spare in the garage. Stripped and sold on my old Marin Wolf Ridge. Built up into a great bike for not much, if any, of an outlay. Some great deals about if you keep looking

tpbiker
    Free Member

1200 would get you a very very nice second hand trail bike…

You’d probably get something nice for half that if it was a few years old…

stooo
    Free Member

It would almost get you my 27.5 wheeled Scott Genius… check classifieds. Couple of wee spec changes and I could get it down to £1250.

woodster

Rose has some good value stuff in 2014 models like this for new.

thegreatape
    Free Member

That looks nice PP. Qu’est-ce que c’est?

jimmy

He could buy my 27.5 turner burner frame

Tracey

Wheels were only on till I got an adapter for my Rovals

renton
    Free Member

He could save himself 250 quid and buy my Turner 5 spot …….

ads678

Have a look on the commencal website. There’s some great priced bikes on there.

br
    Free Member

I bought a s/h carbon Cube FS for less than a grand off here just before Xmas.

Cursed with small wheels though 🙂

Huwzy
    Free Member

null

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Pauls cycles do some some excellent deals.I got one of these for less than a grand last week;
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p4945/GIANT-ANTHEM-X-2-2013
    Lots of other bargains on there.

barffy
    Free Member

My Nukeproof Mega will be for sale for that very soon. Small. 2012 frame with brand new X fusion o2 rear shock. Rockshoc Pike RCT3 forks, Xt crank with raceface narrow wide 34t chain ring, about 2 months old. XT Cassette with one up components extender cog and 17t bridge cog, KMC Gold chain. Brand new x7 shifter with matchmaker to brand new DB3 brakes. Brand new X7 type 2 clutch mech. 8 ride old reverb, brand new 780 bars and stem with brand new ODI ruffian grips. Hope pro 2 evo hubs on stans crest rims, running tubeless with Hans dampf front tyre (snakeskin evo trailstar) and Nobby Nic rear (Snakeskin evo pacestar) and Shimano Saint pedals. It’s a killer bike and has done me for everything from xc rides in the Shropshire hills to the odd bit of downhill and everything in between. I’d knock a bit off if he didn’t want the reverb too.

Euro
    Free Member

I got a Stumpjumper Evo for that sort of money a year or so ago. IMO that kind of money buys you all the bike you’ll ever need* if you go second hand.

* mine needed new bars, pedals, forks, tyres etc 😉

wilko1999
    Free Member

If he could stretch another 250 (you did say ‘budget around 1250’) then how about a brand new Mega TR275:

http://www.ubyk.co.uk/nukeproof-mega-tr-275-comp-bike-2014/15804

plyphon
    Free Member

The new Orange Clockwork 120S is 1250 on the nose.

Looks dope too, alright value for money also. Obvs 2nd hand would get you better 2nd hand, but for new its a dope trial hardtail.

jam-bo
    craig78
    Free Member

Trek Fuel EX7 2013 Large. Just listed. Ridden once. Genuine sale £1125. Ideal for your mate.

Rickos
    Free Member

Thanks Jim! 😳

jam-bo

Did you sell it?

rockhopper70

The Spesh and trek both look good…he’ll be buoyed by what he can get, and I can’t see the value in new at his price range.

nwill1
    Free Member

If he like the Alpine but thinks it’s too much bike take a look at the Fives, 2011 – 2013 last of the 26″ evolution, some folk still ask £1800-£2000 but I’ve seen some great examples for circa £1250…

Rickos
    Free Member

jam bo – no not yet. But thanks for the promotion.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘How good a bike would £1250 get you, new vs used etc. Big/med/small wheels?’ is closed to new replies.