Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How easy is it to fit a bathroom sink.?
  • shreck
    Free Member

Think i broke my sink last night,i was trying to fix a leak on the waste pipe and over tightened the bit that comes off to fix blockages which was leaking.at the moment its a sink with two taps how easy or hard is it to fit a new one with a mixer tap?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You should be able to repair it- depending which bit you have bust – the threaded part at the bottom of the sink is replaceable

cynic-al
    Free Member

What he said. Not that difficult to replace a sink though, depending on your definition of “difficult”.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

As above, very. 2/10 for difficulty.

You will need,

Adjustable spanner
    Stilson/pipe wrench/footprint wrench
    silicone sealant

poss drill, correct type of wall plugs, 2 screws and penny washers to fix to wall.

shreck
    Free Member

Thinj the thread is knackered cant get it out and it wont tighten now.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I think you probably need a new u-bend rather than a whole sink. But yes fitting a sink is pretty easy if you use taps with flexible supply pipes.

shreck
    Free Member

So is a mixer tap easy to fit when there were the two seperate tap before?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Depends – if its a two hole mixer yes – the pipework will need very little modification. A single hole mixer will need quite a bit of alteration to the pipework simple to tricky depending how the existing pipework is run. B&Q do a load of leaflets about this sort of stuff.

footflaps

You can fix just about any leak with a large amount of mastic – the U-bend on my bath started to leak, so I just moulded mastic all around the whole U bend / bath interface and it’s been fine for years……

It’s crude, but effective and took all of 30 seconds to implement.

Gary_M
    Free Member

mastic? Do you mean silicone sealant?

cynic-al
    Free Member

yes he does

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No you don’t want mastic or silicone sealant (which would be the better of the two as it is waterproof) as they just mask a problem. Okay if you want the problem to come back, but the correct job woud be a new trap and wrap the thread in PTFE tape before fitting. IMO.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yes thats my opinion too mastiles_fanylion but I didn’t want to appear all superior 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well I am superior so I don’t care.

😉

Seriously – I talk the talk, but I am shocking at actually DOING anything correctly. Last week I locked my wife and I into the house after jigging a new door lock. 🙂

shreck
    Free Member

Yep small jobs always turn into big jobs,think we might neet a new toilet too,sink and toilet not right after knocking off all the plaster.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Feel for you Shreck – my one day job over the weekend to pop out the old toilet and sink with a new replacment has already taken four days.

Fitting the sink/toilet back in is gonna be a piece of cake. It was the missus who decided as the toilet/sink were out why don’t we paint and fit some new flooring. Sigh. And to cap it all she doesn’t like the new paint colour even though she picked it. Sigh.

Sounds like you don’t need a new sink, just a pipe (or maybe a new waste fitting).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How easy is it to fit a bathroom sink.?’ is closed to new replies.