Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How does bike geometry affect cornering stability?
  • sideshow
    Free Member

A question for the technical!

How does wheelbase/head angle affect cornering stability?
    Why does a 29er seem to be more stable in a corner (so long as it’s not too tight)?

Basically what do I look out for if I want a bike that can drift around corners with style? 😉

VanHalen

Basically what do I look out for if I want a bike that can drift around corners with style

more talent?

roverpig

I’m no expert, but I think a low centre of gravity may be the key. Not sure whether the relationship of the CofG to the axles is also a factor, but that might help explain the extra cornering stability of a 29er.

sbob
    Free Member

A tyre combo you feel comfortable with.
    You want something with low grip that doesn’t break away suddenly, then just practice.

sideshow
    Free Member

I have been mulling over the COG/axle relationship – suffice to say I’m confused. Surely the bike pivots from the bottom, where tyres meet floor, rather than axles anyway?

@Van Halen you have been trolled, have a nice day.

sideshow
    Free Member

Having ridden a few different bikes and tyres I know tyres count for a lot (currently on minion+high roller) but think there’s more to it than that.

I guess the longer contact patch on a 29er might give more predictability, though, as it kind of averages the grip characteristics of a longer section of trail..?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The overall wheelbase affects stability v.s. agility, and position of the BB relative to the front and back contact patches seems to affect how easily the back breaks free. It’s nice to have trail bikes with different ride characteristics – keeps the riding fresh.

VanHalen

sideshow – happy to feed..

whats it called when bikes ‘fall into a corner’ like they seem stable in a straight line but as you turn the turn gets faster? on long slack trail bikes? do 29ers have this issue as the HA is much steeper?

there are a million things affecting cornering. talent/commitment being the biggest factors. tyres are an excuse.

sideshow
    Free Member

buzz so would a downhill bike have the bb relatively further forward, or further back, and why?

vanhalen – not sure I’ve ridden enough of them to tell. I can only think of that being a problem if I let go of the bars – haven’t noticed the effect otherwise.

A mate of mine had great advice for cornering better. “Just hit the corner faster than you’re comfortable with, and deal with it…”

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m not sure. They tend to be long which makes sense. DH racers are unreal, they way they are riding much more dynamic than anything I can do.

I use my two bikes as a reference: the Sovereign is short overall, and when you stand over the BB you feel really forward, nearer the front contact patch – it corners with minimal input and the back is a loose as anything.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Came across an article on twitter that may interest you http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2011/02/the-geometry-of-bike-handling/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How does bike geometry affect cornering stability?’ is closed to new replies.