Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How do you run 2 monitors off 1 PC?
  • Lesanita2
    Free Member

I was admiring (!) someone who had this set up on their computer yesterday, but they weren't there to ask how they did it. I noticed in previous setting up screen resolution that there is an option on display/settings to run 2 screens, but I've only 1 blue monitor output on the back.

Do I need a new card? expensive?

I've an old CRT MOnitor at home which would be good to make use of.

I'm trying to avoid the tempting Aldi PC they have on offer at the moment.

Any ideas?

retro83
    Free Member

you need either another card or replace your current one with a card with two outputs

theflatboy
    Free Member

yep new card, and no they're not that expensive – a lot less than you'd expect.

have a look here, or similar.

cp

Are you planning to use your CRT in conjunction with a flat panel TFT? If so… don't! I think they look horrible together! The flicker of a CRT is even more pronounced, and they look so different it messes with your head!

Well, that's my experience anyway…

GrahamS

Agree with cp.

I would never go back to a CRT – they've done enough damage to my eyes over the years.

Get a video card with dual digital outputs and a second TFT.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'm running a 24" widescreen LCD and a 21" CRT next to each other, CRT at 100Hz. No problems. But it does show up the colour limitations of the LCD.

soobalias
    Free Member

you can buy a split cable instead of another/dual card

probably works out similar pricewise

coffeeking
    Free Member

But that'll only display the same thing on two screens? That would be pointless for normal use?

soma_rich
    Free Member

probably works out similar pricewise

now how would that work? you couldnt have 2 differant displays?

FuzzyWuzzy

Laptops are easier to dual-screen, thing is I've gotten so used to it I find it hard using the laptop on it's own now when working off-site 🙁

soobalias
    Free Member

dont know how a splitter cable would cope with anything particularly graphics intensive or gaming, but for general office use its fine.

some apps do consider both screens to be 'full screen' at startup.

coffeeking
    Free Member

SOOBalias – you can only get a duplicate of the primary screen with a splitter cable?

soobalias
    Free Member

sorry, forgetting the card ive got allows the split cable to work.

GlenMore
    Free Member

You can get external, USB-attached, devices which will allow connection of a second monitor. Windows recognises this device in a way which allows you to set up two different windows (e.g one for work, one for play 🙂 )

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How do you run 2 monitors off 1 PC?’ is closed to new replies.