Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help! Fox rear shock leaking oil
  • retro83
    Free Member

Got a DHX Air shock I'm having trouble with.

Seems to hold air pressure okay, but it's to be leaking maybe 2cc or so of oil from the main seal onto the stanchion every time I ride it.

I ignored it for a couple of months thinking it might be just bedding in, but starting to get concerned now that it is the damper leaking oil into the air chamber or something. Amount leaking certainly hasn't slowed down! Damper does still seem to be working at the moment.

Is it even worth opening these things up to take a look or should I just send it back (or is it normal for them to lose a bit of oil every ride?)

kimbers

sounds like the seals gone to me

certainly easy to replace on my float get a seal kit and a sachet of float fluid from mojo

uplink
    Free Member

I'm not particularly familiar with the DHX but if it's holding air the seals must surely be OK?

retro83
    Free Member

I'm not particularly familiar with the DHX but if it's holding air the seals must surely be OK?

no one is! But yeah, that is a good point.

Is there any risk of damaging the shock when opening it up to do the air sleeve service? (Can strip air forks down no problem, but rear shocks are a mystery to me!)

Don't want to risk the shop thinking I have caused the problem 🙁

kimbers
    retro83
    Free Member

ah nice one, cheers kimbers I'll give that a bash

retro83
    Free Member

Just in case anyone finds this via google or STW search (unlikely 🙂 )

Had a look inside mine last night, and it seemed okay (wasn't full of damper oil or anything). Guess it really is meant to lose oil every ride… 😯

link

There may be a small amount of air sleeve lubricant residue on the body. This is normal. If this residual air sleeve lubricant is not present, this is an indication that the air sleeve should be re-lubricated. Some other things to consider for all shock models:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help! Fox rear shock leaking oil’ is closed to new replies.