• This topic has 78 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • How do you not realise you have run over someone?
  • derp
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ex6dHzcgOE[/video]

surfer
    Free Member

Shocking

Drac

I can only guess she heard the thud and thought it was her catching the traffic island. Unbelievably bad driving though.

stumpy01

Holy Crap!

Although – that style of driving looks worryingly familiar whenever I drive down to my parents in West London…it’s the “I must get where I am going, and sod everyone else” school of motoring.

toys19
    Free Member

Who are Profusion Customs? Whilst I admire their public spiritedness, it worries me that they might get done for a bit of dangerous driving themselves?

BigJohn

Do you have to have a certificate proving that you’re smug and sanctimonious before they’ll let you buy one of those cameras?

phil.w
    Free Member

I can only guess she heard the thud and thought it was her catching the traffic island.

Possible, though in the text at the end it says she claimed the damage to her car had ‘been there ages’ which suggests she knew what she had done and was trying to cover it up.

Drac

Ah I didn’t get that far Phil.

I’ll add though that crossing the road you are supposed to continue looking both ways, Tufty told me. Not that I’m suggesting it’s the pedestrians fault but it could have been an emergency vehicle that was doing the overtaking.

nickf
    Free Member

Just glad she was done for it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Do you have to have a certificate proving that you’re smug and sanctimonious before they’ll let you buy one of those cameras?

driver hits a pedestrian and drives off then denies it ….well done you got the central issue spot on there 🙄

surfer
    Free Member

emergency vehicle that was doing the overtaking.

Although I expect they would have big flashy lights and sirens and stuff! Not to mention a fair bit of training.

Drac

True but pedestrians still walk out in front.

toys19
    Free Member

I reckon it would be difficult to convince the judge that it was the pedestrians fault.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m interested to know who Profusions Customs are too.

(also horrified by the driving and attitude of the woman, but hey ho, we see stuff like that everyday that but for the grace of god, could result in an incident like that)

djglover
    Free Member

I used to commute down Southall Highstreet daily a few years ago. Some of the most appaling driving I’ve ever seen. I put it down to people with driving qualifications and skills aquired in the developing world being let loose on UK roads. Scary stuff.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Are you allowed to drive the wrong side round that island anyway> Surely not. The pedestrian would be very unlikely to expect something coming from that side.

That should be a lifetime ban, or a term ban and then she should only be allowed to drive Passats.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

At least she didn’t do it deliberately – I used to get people trying to ram me with their cars on purpose all the time in Manchester.

I blame video games.

derp
    Free Member

That should be a lifetime ban, or a term ban and then she should only be allowed to drive Passats.

2 year suspended, 200 hours community service, 2 year ban and had to pay the victim £500 compensation.

– Internet/youtube comments

Edit: Interestingly, some on Pistonheads are debating whether the video is a fake to sell cameras.

baldSpot
    Free Member

😯

yunki
    Free Member

I usually have to be pretty drunk to not notice when I run someone over..
    I’d recommend special brew and port mixed 50/50 in pint glasses..

toys19
    Free Member

derp that is interesting.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Ah I didn’t get that far Phil.

I’ll add though that crossing the road you are supposed to continue looking both ways, Tufty told me. Not that I’m suggesting it’s the pedestrians fault but it could have been an emergency vehicle that was doing the overtaking.

As has been said lights + sirens + training. The emergency services have to undertake extreme care when over taking e.t.c. They would be looking out for people on traffic islands.

Drac – Moderator
    True but pedestrians still walk out in front.

of a traffic island!

I guess you are trying to troll but trying to lie any blame after a speeding motorist overtook in an urban area on the wrong side of a traffic island is unbelievable.

Drac

The lines on that traffic island are broken, while it’ll be foolish to overtake there the lines aren’t solid which means it does not mean you can’t overtake. I don’t think there is any specific rule for overtaking by a traffic island but as I say it’s a foolish thing to do and await or will look to see if there is.

Pedestrians are expected to look both ways at all times when crossing the road.

As has been said lights + sirens + training. The emergency services have to undertake extreme care when over taking e.t.c. They would be looking out for people on traffic islands.

Of course they would but cars stop at traffic islands so there’s no choice to go around the islands. And no matter how much training the driver has pedestrians and other road users still drive or step out in front even with lights and sirens on.

of a traffic island!

I guess you are trying to troll but trying to lie any blame after a speeding motorist overtook in an urban area on the wrong side of a traffic island is unbelievable.

It would be a troll if I was doing that and unbelievable if I was blaming the pedestrian but at no point did I blame them.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Drac drives emergency vehicles I assume the comment means that even with lights + noise some pedestrians still walk out on emergency vehicles- read the quote above as he appears to be answering that.
    PS Surely no harm in sucking up defending a mod 😉
    EDIT: DAMN TOO SLOW 🙄

epicyclo

Sickening.

Any word about the victim?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

a girl my wife works with has just been done for drink driving.

She has to do some community service, which involve working in a charity shop so she doesn’t have to get in a van with nasty, sweaty, intimidating males doing their community service!

thegreatape
    Free Member

The lines on that traffic island are broken, while it’ll be foolish to overtake there the lines aren’t solid which means it does not mean you can’t overtake. I don’t think there is any specific rule for overtaking by a traffic island but as I say it’s a foolish thing to do and await or will look to see if there is.

Only emergency service vehicles can disobey the keep left bollards though.

Drac

Only emergency service vehicles can disobey the keep left bollards though.

Oh! Good point. 😳 We have to treat with caution though as we have no right of way.

scaredypants

yeh i’m with the doubters, the actual collision bit looks odd to me (not that I’ve seen many)

Drac

yeh i’m with the doubters, the actual collision bit looks odd to me (not that I’ve seen many)

That’s one hell of a prep and set up, Hollywood would be proud of a stunt like that.

Junkyard
    Free Member

dont be silly just petrol heads defending driving like cocks

Andituk
    Free Member

There are keep left arrows on the bollards, so you can’t overtake there.

McHamish
    Free Member

All irrelevant if you ask me…even if she was driving like a saint, she drove off after hitting someone. She very obviously sped up after the collision, she knew what she had done and ‘ran away’ hoping to get away with it.

The fact that she was in a rush and driving dangerously and illegally, only makes things worse.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Bollards have a blue keep left sign on them. Blue signs give instructions which are mandatory. So regardless of broken or solid white lines you need to keep to the left of the bollard. Emergency vehicles AFAIK have a free for all as long as care is taken.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I put it down to people with driving qualifications and skills aquired in the developing world being let loose on UK roads.

Yes, you probably do

TuckerUK
    Free Member

That should be a lifetime ban,

This.

Any why on earth is her face pixelated?

Drac

I blame coming off nights this am for not noticing the keep left sign, don’t worry I’m not driving. In fact I’m now back in work after 4 hours off as need to meet me boss.

derp
    Free Member

Any why on earth is her face pixelated?

It’s stuff like this which has been fuelling, hoho, the Pistonheads discussion on the veracity of the video.

thegreatape
    Free Member

You don’t drive a red car do you Drac? 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Whilst I agree that in theory, it could’ve been an emergency vehicle, and that it is probably best to look both ways at all times, I wouldn’t want to tell the 75 year old man who got hit (if he’s still alive) that. As far as I’m concerned, he didn’t do anything wrong.

Terrible driving.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘How do you not realise you have run over someone?’ is closed to new replies.