Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • how do you motivate yourself to ride in the rain?
  • racefaceec90

am really embarrassed to admit that i shirk going out in the wet stuff 😳 (i know that i should mtfu e.t.c) it doesn’t help that i’ve just got a lovely new bike (a lovely charge duster mid bike 😀 that i have ridden only once (last friday,when i got it 😳 due partly to getting sunburnt after riding it,also some embarrassing jeremy kyles (i have cough! cream for the problem 😳 today though i planned to go out for a ride after watching le tour on itv4,but seeing it drizzling (i know 😳 have just made yet more excuses (cannot fit my crud catchers/lights,as the tubing is very skinny/seat post is too thin for rear guard.also cannot fit my vision 2 led to bars as the mount is for the larger bar size 31.8mm?the new bike bar is the smaller size.how do you go out in the wet stuff (without making excuses e.t.c)thank you in advance and awaiting mickey taking of the highest order e.t.c 😉 p.s my monthly internet credit is almost used up.get renewed credit on saturday) so if i do not reply before then,am not trying to be rude.

donsimon
    Free Member

Almost never go out when it rains, that’s all about to change now though. 😥

tazzymtb

it’s not riding in the rain….it’s just riding…..and all riding is good, the weather bit is immaterial 😀

some of my most memorable and fun rides have been damper than an otters pocket

coatesy
    Free Member

Arrange a group ride on a certain day every week, you’ll then feel obliged to turn up regardless of how many others don’t bother.

Junkyard
    Free Member

MTFU
    having limited time to ride also helps ie agree to ride and just ride
    Most rain is what I call couch rain. It looks much worse from the couch that the saddle
    and very Good waterproofs

RealMan
    Free Member

Rule #5.

Rule #9.

qwerty
    Free Member

you can pee in your pants and no one will know 😀

donsimon
    Free Member

you can pee in your pants and no one will know

Steam?

ton

try not being able to ride at all for nigh on a year.

riding in rain is awesome…………… 😆

I commute by bike. Some days it rains. On those days, I ride in the rain.

oldnpastit

Get a decent rain coat, that makes it much more pleasant if it’s really raining hard.

Get a single speed, then you don’t need to worry about cleaning it when you get home.

Then rule #5 and #9, as above.

OCB
    Free Member

Mudguards and riding a single-speed do it for me.

I don’t mind the being wet bit, but I really don’t like that raccoon-stripe of filthy road slop up my arse. Mud / grass et cetera is fine, but that horrid stinky mixture of grit, diesel, oil, and who-knows what else flicked up from the tarmac is just vile.

Hmm … that said, I *do* mind the being wet bit if I’m miles from home on a mid-winter’s late-afternoon when it’s getting dark, even colder and the wind is picking up, and when I’m already chilled, soaked, stiff and hungry / bonking, and starting to get a bit muddled. I’ve found that’s been pretty miserable … but as long as you don’t get too muddled*, I find there is motivation to be had in the simple fact that stopping now without food / drink / shelter / being dry, can only end badly vs, digging deeper and pushing on to somewhere that’s dry and out of the wind, with food and drink and the chance to recover for a bit (or just getting home).

The self-motivational challenge really kicks in there tho’ if the looked-forward to shop/garage has closed down for the night (happily less common these days), and/or when you get a mechanical.

*Once it’s happened a couple of times, you get to know the signs, which helps. 😯

mrmo
    Free Member

rain isn’t that bad usually, a jacket sorts it out, pick the right trails and it can be ok, i will admit that horizontal rain is no fun.

what really p***es me off is the 16mile ride home with a headwind the whole f***ing way…..

beanieripper
    Free Member

i put crocodile clips on my nipples.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Having to drive somewhere to ride makes the rain seem worse than it is. Assemble the bike rack – in the rain. Put the bike rack on the car – in the rain. Half empty the shed and get the bike out – in the rain. Drive somewhere – in the rain and then finally start riding.

I’m sure if I could ride locally without having to mess around with the car I’d be more inclined to ride when it’s wet.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Rain is fine, wind is ****

MoreCashThanDash

I don’t mind getting wet if it starts raining once I’m out, but if it’s proper lashing down before I set off, I can’t see the point getting me, my kit and bike wet and gritted up. It’s not like my place in the Sky team/Animal DH team depends on it!

hugor
    Free Member

I don’t head out in the rain unless I’m really desperate.
    The post ride faff of the bike, car, your gear etc completely outweighs the benefit of the ride IMO.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I don’t.

I’ve done my time in the wet and mud thanks. TICK! I can do that now. But it’s not enjoyable to me. And I only ride because I enjoy it. So if it’s slashing it down, I stay home. And I don’t feel at all bad about that. 🙂

avdave2

I did it today otherwise I would have spent the night at work.

I have no problem with commuting off road all winter and getting wet and muddy twice a day but I get really fed up in the summer,when I like to extend my commute, with even a drop of rain. I shall take the It’s wet and muddy bike to work tomorrow which will hopefully bring the sun back out.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I very rarely would go out for a ride for fun in the rain.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Riding in the rain can be great or it can be horrible. It really depends on the type of rain, strength of wind, how cold it is, what clothes you are wearing and most importantly your mind set on that particular day.

andrewh
    Free Member

Singlespeed here too, much easier to clean up afterwards.

Also, good warm winter boots will make it less unpleasent.

spacehopper

very rarely go out if its raining…

I drink tea, eat biscuits and stare whistfully out of the window instead… 8)

dont mind so much if it starts while im out there but im usually wishing i was inside with said tea and biscuits rather than enjoying the ride..

might help if i had a decent rainjacket… (the one i have is cheap and gets wetter on the inside usually through sweat…)

Nick

Skin is waterproof, mtfu etc

martymac

1 of the best rides ive had in several years was during the wind?rainstorm we had here in scotland about 6 weeks ago.
    2 mates and i went to laggan (wolftrax), a 2 hr drive.
    had 1 bike in the car, other 2 on the roof.
    the wind was hitting 70mph, there were times i had my foot hard down to maintain 50mph.
    we had to pedal down the red route at laggan because of the wind.
    we all got thoroughly soaked, frozen, blown to bits.
    but it was a **** great day!!
    theres no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.

Garry_Lager

Light / medium rain is ok – refreshing even. Did the Devils Staircase / GlenCoe loop recently in persistent rain and it was a great ride. Heavy rain can be a bit depressing though, it gets on top of you psychologically.

If you’re talking about a proper MTB ride it helps to have a front tyre that is at least competent in the wet. If you’re having to mince round the trails because you can’t trust the front end then it does start to feel a bit miserable.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

My road partner rides for GB and he doesn’t take no for an answer. So I generally get physically dragged out of the door.

coastkid
    Free Member

get your ass in gear, dress, and go 🙂 solcisct trail ride
    It can be fun esp in summer as not cold… 🙂
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OsHIde8c1jw[/video]

lucien

As long as you wear something that keeps the wind out or off (ie arm warmers, leg warmers etc) – then the wet’s no different than sweat

coolhandluke
    Free Member

If I have arranged to ride then I ride. The rain isnt nice when you’re getting ready but once you’re on your way it rarely bothers me.

On the comute, the rain doesnt bother me at all, I have mudguards on it and they work well, I also have a waterproof coat if need be.

RealMan
    Free Member

coastkid how small are your handlebars?

sor
    Free Member

As Mr Ton says above, if you ever find yourself unable to ride due to ill-health (I just got back on the saddle last month after 4 months), very few things* will stop you.

* They’d be things like pains and energy levels and things.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ride, in the rain, at my time of life, are you mad?
    I just sold the factory that made the tee shirts for riding in the f**king rain thank you.

nick3216
    Free Member

TTFU wristband

hsmith
    Free Member

riding in the rain is great fun if you have good waterproofs. the sooner you realise that you are gonna get a soaking the more fun it becomes because you stop trying to avoid mud and puddles and just get on with it

glenh
    Free Member

I don’t. 😀

Kevevs
    Free Member

I had a bad car smash recently. A day or 2 later I rode in the rain cos I didn’t have a car to get somewhere. It was really refreshing and life-affirming and for a strange moment I really appreciated all that I had, cos I could’ve so easily lost it all. It’s just rain. Mind you, it is summer!

MrKmkII
    Free Member

mudguards and lights not fitting are rubbish excuses – have you no old innertubes? or lecky tape? or bits of card board?! if you see no way to get around these issues, it seems you’ve already decided about wet weather riding!

Being at work and wanting to be at home was motivation enough for riding in the rain today. Probably would take a bit more of a kick to get me out just for a jolly in the rain though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘how do you motivate yourself to ride in the rain?’ is closed to new replies.