Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • How can I make a cheap Degreaser
  • konajim
    Free Member

Im a skinflint so thinking there must be someway to make cheap oil degreaser for my chain
    anyone got any recepies ?
    jim

zaskar
    Free Member

Vinnegar, petrol, spirit in a jar with chain overnight?

Acid rain?

konajim
    Free Member

Ah but i want to put it in a spray bottle and what are the measurements
    I know that chips need plenty vingar and cars need a more petrol than i can afford .Is shimano chain so cant just split it after every ride .
    How can I make acid rain ?
    jim

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

put a sram powerlink in it then you can split it after every ride

jojoA1
    Free Member

Slade say the perfect de-greaser is lemon.

konajim
    Free Member

but that will cost cost me money and i just want to spray and flush away
    in a enviromently way as possibleof course .( american spelling )

jim

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Automotive degreaser is much cheaper than the bike variety, works just as well and if you look around I’m sure you can buy it in vast quantities.

zaskar
    Free Member

Step 1 Put baking soda on every spot that has grease on it. Let stove cool down before applying baking soda to surface.

Step 2 Apply lemon juice to baking soda. Let it foam and sit for 30 seconds to a minute.

Step 3 Start scrubbing with towel with force. You should see grease coming off. Restart the process again to take more grease off and your stove or surface should be bright and clean.

Don’t make acid rain unless you drive loads, just collect it when it rains!

dave_aber
    Free Member

forget chain maintenance. It’s overrated. Ride the **** thing. When the chain starts creaking and groaning, it’s time to shake off some of the congealed mud. Apply some WD40 or GT85 depending on how cheap you are. Ride some more. if it gets really bad, pedal harder. MTFU.

bigrich

Coca cola works. my god, that stuff must do wonders for the ol’ innards.

petefromearth

i’ve used the cheapo automotive degreaser they sell in halfords. it is very potent stuff

i haven’t tried it but i imagine the lemon/vinegar/soda thing is going to be a bit wimpy in comparison, and is a waste of some good ingredients. wouldn’t you rather have a G&T, some fish & chips and a nice cake while the toxic spray stuff gets to work? plus these cost money so won’t save you much compared to buying the real deal. a can lasts a long time

maintaining bikes costs money i’m afraid, and using the right tools makes a job 10 times easier

uplink
    Free Member

[very] Hot soapy water & a scrubbing brush if you must

TBH – if you wipe it down, lube it, back pedal for 30 seconds or so & then wipe off as much lube as you can, you shouldn’t need to clean it

darrell
    Free Member

cheapest washing up liquid

Hairychested
    Free Member

Car degreaser seconded – £8 per gallon last time.

miketually
    Free Member

Is shimano chain so cant just split it after every ride .

Why would you want to degrease the chain after every ride?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you want to spray it on then flush it off halfords citrus degreaser – not as nasty in the drains as petrochemicals. Not that expensive either and it works well

ziggy
    Free Member

Yep wot TJ says, and avoid washing up liquid, it has salt in it, the worst thing you can put on steel.

uplink
    Free Member

Yep wot TJ says, and avoid washing up liquid, it has salt in it, the worst thing you can put on steel.

I have a 25 yr old [steel] hack bike that gets washed with washing up liquid & water every week … hang on, I’ll go check …………..

……………………..

No, it hasn’t corroded to powder yet, d’ya think I should stop using washing up liquid on it? 😉

guido

Furniture polish works a treat!

Ambrose

Washing powder, persil or whatever. Or dishwasher powder.

smiffy

3 tsp of caustic soda to one small hand sprayer of water. it’s the same a muc-off only not pink.

jimmy

buy a massive tub of muc off and a spray gun. use it 1/2 muc off 1/2 water, still works fine.

or work more hours.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘How can I make a cheap Degreaser’ is closed to new replies.