Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • How can I get rid of a cough?
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

My missus has been coughing for weeks. Her GP prescribed antibiotics, she did that but no change. I’m sick of hearing “I’m not ill, I just feel a bit poorly.” as she’s a woman so man flu not allowed.
    Her sinuses are hurting too on top of the cough. Any home remedies? Drinking Bushmills didn’t help, I’m hungover and she’s still coughing 🙁

Hohum
    Free Member

Try some Vicks vaporub.

My wife swears by it and it does seem to help loosen up the chest.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Done that, no change. Has to be something very much left of the centre. I suggested sherry mixed with campari and bushmills but she refused. She’d’ve been cured by now 😈

grievoustim
    Free Member

Steam is meant to help

Hairychested
    Free Member

Done that too.
    The problem is GP’s love antibiotics and she’s allergic to virtually all of them. I suggested loads of garlis (we have a balcony she could sleep on) but no, she won’t eat it. And won’t take garlic pills as they’re made of garlic. Back to the square one…

Hohum
    Free Member

Loads of raw carrots or other uncooked vegetable that is rich in vitamin C?

robdob
    Free Member

I always say if you won’t take something that might make you better you can’t be that I’ll, so stop moaning!!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Try some Vicks vaporub.

My wife swears by it and it does seem to help loosen up the chest.”

Sounds stupid, but rub it on the base of your feet. I’ve had the same annoying cough thing for a few weeks now, as did our 8 month old son. Rubbing Vicks on your feet at night at least helps stop you coughing and get to sleep!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Sloe gin and a sauna worked for me when my throat was bad last week

robdob
    Free Member

That is very odd. However I will try it!!

Hairychested
    Free Member

So, rub some ointment onto my feet, drink sloe gin in the sauna, work a magic of carrot? WIIIFEEEE, come back here!!!!!

andy7t2
    Free Member

i’m not surprised drinking your wifes bushmills didn’t help. must of made her smile though 😉

djglover
    Free Member

Smoke a couple of fags, that should clear her out

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Seems odd she was prescribed anti-biotics – surely it is a viral, not a bacterial infection?

Trekster

Believe it or not I have been prescribed Gaviscon, the prescription only active one by hospital consultant. Worked a treat 😆
    Also gargling with salty water morning and night
    I have also cut out/down on my coffee intake, not sure what is going on with coffee atm but it certainly causes me some problems re coughing.

Is she asthmatic?

I am struggling atm due to increase in all these “green” people opening up/installing wood/multi burners 👿 A blue haze has descended upon the countryside and my mouth/chest feels like I have sucked in the flue emissions of these horrible things 😈
    Have people not heard of smokeless zones ❓

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Gargling salt water stopped my throat bleeding but made the sloe gin taste funny

Bunnyhop

Steam. Its the best thing. Bowl of boiling water, head over bowl, towel over head, voila.
    Mustn’t burn herself though.

Admiralable
    Free Member

I’ve had a cough now for a couple of weeks. It’s now at a stage where I can’t hock up whats on my chest and its sat there making me feel like I can’t catch my breath. My partner had a similar thing earlier in the year and was diagnosed with Bronchitis and was signed off for 2 weeks. But I refuse to go to the Doctors incase he does the same as we can’t afford for me to be signed off for 2 weeks.

Admiralable
    Free Member

Double post

SpeedyG
    Free Member

Try good old Vicks Sinex – last time I had a cough for months, when I finally got around to seeing the doc he recommended this stuff to break up all the nastiness on my chest. I coughed it all up after a few days of this and was fine in no time!

Hairychested
    Free Member

She’s done the Vicks Sinex too.
    I like the idea of salty water but she says it makes her sick. I offered a salty alternative but she apparently is too ill 🙁

orange
    Free Member

get her to suck on some Jakemans Throat & Chest menthol sweets, these help with my dry cough

and look out for expectorant products with guaifenesin in them, it helps thin the mucus

elaineanne
    Free Member

squeese a lemon or two into glass of hot warm water on a daily bases, she will be right soon enough ! lemons are great for cleaning away “parasites armed to the teeth” ! 😉 :mrgreen:

nicko74

Personally, for me, running. Seriously, doesn’t have to be fast, but enough to get the lungs working fully, and you’ll be amazed at how much it loosens up the throat – and all the gunk that you cough up…

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Try this, it’s what they taught my pa in hospital after his quad hear bypass, to get fluid off the lungs caused by inactivity and after effects of surgery.

Breath in, really really deeply. Close mouth, and hold it in for a couple of seconds. Then, rather than breath out, try and breath in a tiny bit more, just throught he nose, and then hold it for a moment before breathing out. – Try it a few times, and then repeat every hour or so. If you do it right, it probably will make you cough, and its getting air as deeply into lungs and out, getting things moving as well as anyting else you can do in a room/office.

Davesport

Get to the chemist & get some Pholcodine, it’s a cough suppresant. It also has the advantage that it’s opiate based 😯 Can’t recommend it highly enough 😀

D.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘How can I get rid of a cough?’ is closed to new replies.