Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How busy is Glentress for nightriding?
  • Garry_Lager

Did my first nightride at Glentress yesterday, went round the red route at 9pm on my own. Twas an awesome ride, really good. Having Great Cthulhu chasing you through the woods really puts some speed into your climbing. He left me alone coming down, as I had to concentrate more on the trail.

As good as it was, I’d prefer to be riding that route with others, at night. There’s just that much greater chance of a fall. Saw a few guys coming in just as I was climbing out towards the Buzzards nest and that was it, saw no one on the trail. How busy does GT get for night rides, is there a day / time when a lot of people tend to go out? Would be good to tag along – or even just for peace of mind I’d prefer to go out when there are going to be a few folk through on the trail.

hels
    Free Member

Used to be busy Back in the Day when E & T opened the cafe on a wednesday night. I think over summer they might open it one night a month ?? Check the Hub website. ANyway those are the best nights if you want to ride in company, and have a nice dinner and cake afterwards.

I was up on tuesday night playing with my new bike, got a bit scared it was kind of misty up above Buzzards. Saw one other person.

bumbly1
    Free Member

Gary, not quite on topic but there is a group of us that nightride each week in the Edinburgh area. Venues used include GT, Innerleithen, Pitmedden, Blairadam, Pentlands, Drumlanrig (?), Beecraigs. Usually out for about two hours, nought against STW but we tend to post rides on here. Usually start around 8pm mixed abilities.

Tom

Garry_Lager

Thanks for the link Tom, will check it out next time I’m thinking about a night ride.

ml
    Free Member

@Garry_Lager: When I was down on Friday nights during December, January and February, there were normally just one or two others there — great time for riding, especially on clear nights. I’d say it is best to go with someone else for safety though, especially after one of our party slid on ice at a corner.

@bumbly1: Thanks for the MTBscotland link, will keep an eye on that for future rides.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I’ve been a couple of times on my own – saw a couple of other riders but not many. Pretty eerie experience all in!

Smee
    Free Member

Wednesday nights are busiest. 7 seems to be the most popular time to start.

druidh
    Free Member

I must say that I just don;t get the “eerie experience” bit at all. It’s just the same as daytime, except that it’s dark.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Felt pretty eerie to me at the top of the Black looking down to the distant lights below….wazs good though.

Smee
    Free Member

Solo night ride round Inners are some of the best rides i’ve had. Brilliant.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

G-L, we may have passed you, while returning on the blue motorway, we saw a solo cyclist, going up the climb after Pennel’s Vennel at about 9.30ish, We go out every Wednesday night leaving Peebles at 7.30pm, not always Glentress though, but other local trails. If that time suits you, you are welcome to join us. e-mail in profile. cheers.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How busy is Glentress for nightriding?’ is closed to new replies.