Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • House insurance time again. (Sorry.)
  • geomickb
    Free Member

Hi,

Do I need to trawl through again or can someone recommend a policy which insures bikes kept in the garage?

Cheers,

Mick

cb

Halifax does for me – up to £10k worth of bikes anyway. Just been through the same – painful! Buildings and contents, 10k of bikes incl accidental damage, few other specified items, plus legal cover for £420. Excess is high at £350

fossy

Barclays – I’ve just got their expensive bike add on for £9 a month after my insurer (CIS) stopped the policy they did. I think I’ll be moving the whole contents in September to Barclays.

Barclays are £5k per bike. CIS normal policy with bikes was about £2k, which covered most, but not my best bike, nor the full RRP for the two FS bikes.

dovebiker

I took out a policy with Quotemehappy – don’t have to declare the individual value of each bike on the assumption that you’re only using one at a time. Some policies require you to declare every bike over a grand which loads up the premium if you have more than a couple.

MoreCashThanDash

Esure or Aviva

jimmy748

LV cover bikes over £5K.

MoreCashThanDash

Should have added my bikes are specified with Esure, so wider cover than just garage.

Think there’s a total of £15k of bikes between us for about £50 a year

Superficial
    Free Member

I can recommend eSure – they just paid out for me and were very efficient indeed / didn’t quibble. All my bikes declared (~£8000 total IIRC) and it only added £30 ish to my home insurance premium.

oikeith

Aviva cover my bikes in the garage, 2 bikes fall under not being specifically called out, one bike is called out and insured to its value, wasnt much more per year then what I was paying or what I was thinking of spending in beefing up security.

Underwriters did specify I needed a ground anchor installed though and the bike to be locked to it, although no specification on quality/grading of anchor, chain or lock!

DezB
    Free Member
    bails

I stayed with nationwide this year, in part due to them not saying that bikes in cars have to be locked in the “locked boot or glovebox (!?!)” to be covered, like lots of others do.

dove1

Aviva.
    Declare the value of the most expensive bike and all bikes are covered individually up to that amount.

dove1

@oikeith

Underwriters did specify I needed a ground anchor installed though and the bike to be locked to it, although no specification on quality/grading of anchor, chain or lock!

The Aviva Policy booklet States that “Theft of cycles (including Ebikes) from the garden unless securely locked to an object that cannot be moved” is not covered.

When I renewed last year I queried this and asked about garages and outbuildings and was told as long as the building is secure then the bikes do not need to be locked to anything.

bails

as long as the building is secure then the bikes do not need to be locked to anything.

Fine until the the insurer asks you “if the building is secure then how did your bike get stolen from it?”

oikeith

The Aviva Policy booklet States that “Theft of cycles (including Ebikes) from the garden unless securely locked to an object that cannot be moved” is not covered.

When I renewed last year I queried this and asked about garages and outbuildings and was told as long as the building is secure then the bikes do not need to be locked to anything.

I was on the phone with Aviva, the agent needed to check with underwriting about covering this specific bike to the value requested, came back saying yes but you need to do this, essentially an extra condition for cover, I abide by it and hope to never need to use my insurance.

My other bikes which are under the limit to be declared fall under the standard terms from the policy booklet.

matt_outandabout

An update for any Aviva customers:

On the phone with me just now:
    – they have just defined a ‘building’ as ‘not a shed or outbuilding’, so won’t cover the bikes.
    – they have just defined ‘locked to something not moveable’ as NOT covering a bike rack, it is inside the car only.

smallprint time…..

StirlingCrispin

Household contents with Axa for me.
    Not specifically bikes: Any single item upto £15k, with a £100k maximum claim !
    (Was Aviva before, but Axa then came in cheaper).

Done through Landsdowne Insurance Brokers.

tweeky
    Free Member

I’ll second what ‘cb’ says……….Halifax for me.

£10k of cover for bikes, with accidental damage, and some positive small print for a change…covered temporarily outside the British Isles for up to 60 days.

Outbuildings, specified as garages, sheds detached from the private residence. No requirement for ground anchors or additional security. As long as the outbuilding itself is locked.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

[Halifax]

covered temporarily outside the British Isles for up to 60 days.

One thing I will say is [according to my conversation with them last month] they do not cover them whist not in your personal possession, so if you’re flying they’re not covered whilst in transit for instance.

MoreCashThanDash

Our bikes are specified items on our esure policy.

footflaps

One thing I will say is [according to my conversation with them last month] they do not cover them whist not in your personal possession, so if you’re flying they’re not covered whilst in transit for instance.

I had a thread on this a few weeks back – nearly all insurers won’t cover it in the airport once you drop it off, but I did wind one who did, Snowcard – who specifically covered the airline / airport loosing it.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.