Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hope XC service tools
  • keppoch

Hello,

A particuarly grindy Crickhowell Merida means it has suddenly become time to service my rear Hope XC, its defences appear to have been breached and the freewheel doesn’t anymore.

Since I have a few Hope XC hubs I am planning to do this service (my first) myself, and in order to make it easier I am going to buy the proper Hope tools (yes I know sockets and blocks of wood etc. but my mind is made up!

So what are the Hope specific tools I need? I think it is a pair of bearing drifts (sold together) and a hub support both at about £9. But looking at CRC (my lazy internet shop of choice) they are out of stock, same at a few other shops… Does anyone know a shop that has them in stock.

I already have a couple of the bearings I need but since it is a rear I guess I need another too – any suggestions where to get these at a good price.

Equally any wise words about the service procedure will be handy, I will be following the instructions on the Hope site unless anyone can advise better.

Thanks,

Keppoch.

nbt

Really, you don;t need to pay for tools, you can use blocks of wood and a 19mm (spark plug) socket, I’ve done all my hubs for years that way

Best guide to fettling I’ve found:

http://mountainbikerides.co.uk/fettling/hope_hub.htm

Speshpaul

Your LBS should be able to order them for you.
    But you don’t need them, honest.
    You will need a pair of long-ish nosed circlip pliers.
    A pair of metal motor bike tyre levers with the end padded in tape to flick the end caps off.
    I’ve got a off cut of 3×2 soft wood with a 32mm hole in it i use as a support for knocking the bearings out with.

keppoch

I am still getting the tools 😯 haha (well so long as someone can come up with a suggestion as to where to get them!)

But thanks for the guide, it looks good.

Roddy.

keppoch

Hmm, I have circlip pliers with a 90 degree turn in the end and probably about 15mm protrusion from there, do I need longer than this?

keppoch.

smiffy

I never used any specific tools in mine. an old cassette makes a good support for doing the freehub body bearings and just general screwdrivers, sockets, bits of wood for everything else.

Speshpaul

“Hmm, I have circlip pliers with a 90 degree turn in the end and probably about 15mm protrusion from there, do I need longer than this?”

No they need to be straight ones.

druidh
    Free Member

Meh – tools are good.

I got the set of (Pro 2)tools from 18 Bikes for about £20. Just get in touch with them – they’ll know what you’re after.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hope XC service tools’ is closed to new replies.