Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hope Tech3 E4 brake sticking on
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Brakes are c18 months old.   Boiled the front last October in Basque Spain and lost the last run of the holiday.  Bled in a car park for a few more days riding and noticed i’d pinched the seal when i’d bled after trimming hoses when fitting.  Guessed that was why they needed bleeding.

Changed seals and bled again when i got home. Not much use over winter (was on hardtail) but two weeks big riding plus weekends in spring but last weekend the front was rubbing and then locked on.

I guessed sticky pistons so lubed them and they were retracting easily but the front brake locked on again this weekend.  Let a bit of fluid out a the nipple and rode off the rear for the rest of the ride)

Not sure what the fault is – they shouldn’t need bleeding after only 6 months (and it was surrey hills riding so it’s not like they were being tested on long descents).  Suggestions?  I’ve not come across this problem with Hope’s before and ridden them since they first made discs

ScottChegg
    Free Member

There are 3 pairs on bikes in my house. All of thme have seized up in the last few months.

Stripped, silicon grease on the pistons and rebled and back to being great.

I didn’t have this issue with the M4’s; I suspect Hope are cutting back on their grease consumption.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Cheers.  Hope were a bit puzzled too but thought having cooked them might have damaged the seals so suggested that.  Sent back to Hope for a service/seals/bleed/pads.

This forum really is quiet now – can’t believe this only got a single response.

onehundredthidiot

Does sound like they need a bit of seal/regrease care.

Annoyingly my m4s have made it through another winter can’t remember when they last saw any care, certainly not the past 4 years.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

This forum really is quiet now

Yes, I’m afraid so. It’s all about virue signalling and wood burners on the other channel now.

rigormortisph
    Free Member

Just bumping up the thread. I experienced this on my E4s over the weekend. Rear caliper locked up.
    Some friends recommended me to try lubing the pistons with silicone oil, just like what was done on the video below:

Havent done it really but will update if it fixes the issue.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’d tried that a few times and it was only a short term fix. It is definitely the solution if your pistons are a bit sticky and not pushing evenly but not for the locking on.

Mine had done a lot of uplifted riding and very steep decents – as an indication the discs were worn way below the ‘replace’ point. They start at 1.8mm – advice is to replace at 1.5. Mine were at 1.2 or below which can’t have helped with heat dissipation.

Seals on mine were just destroyed I think but Hope’s ‘full service’ is a bargain considering they completely rebuild the caliper and lever, pro bleed and give you a new set of pads.

pedlad

I’m sure the recommendation years ago was to use red rubber grease for this – is that still ok?

junglistjut
    Free Member

How much does the full service cost ?

Paceman
    Free Member

I didn’t realise Hope do servicing on their brakes, is it expensive?

carlos
    Free Member

When a riding buddy sent his in I think it was about £50 each. That was a complete strip, clean, new parts to lever and calipper, bleed and new pads

Paceman
    Free Member

Bargain 👍

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

https://www.hopetech.com/warranty-service/

Price doesn’t seem to be online but its about £50 per brake

timbo678
    Free Member

Just about to send mine off, quoted yesterday: –

We offer a service on the E4 that costs £55.13 per brake plus postage. All seals and pistons are replaced and new pads fitted

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I didn’t realise they replaced the pistons as well. No wonder they feel like new brakes afterwards.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tech3 E4 brake sticking on’ is closed to new replies.