Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • hope tech x2
  • polarisandy
    Free Member

Anyone using hope tech x2?
    looking for a replacement for a pair of old style minis and sort of leaning towards the “devil” i know, rather than the devil i don’t.

from what i can see they are now a single caliper and have some twiddley buttons to alter the bite point and the reach.

Any opinions.
    do they still screAM like a bugger?

cheers and thanks in advance.

Olly
    Free Member

they should theoretically scream less, being post mount, with adaptors, like everyone else in the world, at last.

two piece clamps and single piece caliper i think you mean, but still not rear fitted pads…
    do they do a clamp that takes that funky sram bolt on system now?

blingy, yes, worth it, almost certainly not

ive never tried them on a moving bike, so cant comment.

fwokinfwok
    Free Member

They’re neat. BPC or bite point control is good and lever reach is easy to adjust now. Mine squeek a bit sometimes. The pin holding the pads in comes loose and the clip holding the pin in comes off. Make sure you loctite the pin in or you’ll be missing a set of pads (just like I was)…

clubber
    Free Member

Aren’t people having loads of trouble mating these with shifters other than XTR? Fine if they’re going on a SS but otherwise…

molgrips
    Free Member

The pin holding the pads in comes loose and the clip holding the pin in comes off.

The clips never come out on my Mono Minis, and the pin is extremely difficult to get out with molgrips, so it ain’t ever falling out *if installed correctly*. Unless it’s changed for X2s I’d suspect fwokinfwok’s got the fwokin pin not fwokin well inserted far enough 🙂

lowey

Ton had some on his Ventana last week. He had to remove the shifter windows to get them to fit.

He was pretty impressed otherwise IIRC.

oldfart

I’m liking mine levers bit snug next to XT shifters but still work o.k.

polarisandy
    Free Member

yep one piece caliper made from a single “billet” (now there’s a word car journo’s like) of aluminium.
    I see hope have discontinued old style minis now, and the X2’s are now the basic brake, unless you want to pay and extra 30ish quid for the pro and get a carbon lever and a handful of titanium bolts.
    Hey, don’t knock it, we’re talking a full 35g here…

on a slightly different note, does position of the caliper affect the forces that supposedly unlock a quick release?

what was the outcome of the inquest/litigation for the unfortunate fella (ross?) whose qr allegedly came undone? Someone was posting lots of the court proceedings on here then it all went quiet.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Russ – setled out of court for an undisclosed sum

I wish Hope still did IS mount imo a far superior system. Set it once and forget and neater with no nasty slotted mounts – Post mount with adaptors is shite engineering.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Unless it’s changed for X2s

It has changed, at least it has on my tech4’s, the retaining pin is now threaded and screws into the caliper.

Great brakes though!

Goz
    Free Member

Shite engineering, please explain, seems to be the industry standard.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

@axroads – Its my opinion. I don’t like slotted mounts for anything – always weaker than non slotted mounts. Using the adaptor means 2 more bolts.

I think they are ugly and inelegant. Its about making it easier to manufacture not better to use – the manufacturer does not have to be so precise and rather than different calipers for different size discs they use the same caliper and different mounts. The bolts also are not always
    in the best direction for the stresses.

Its my opinion and one not shared by many.

Fortunately I have hopes that I am happy with with IS mounts so I won’t ever buy post mount callipers.

BillyBull
    Free Member

Just changed from minis and found them great at inners last weekend.

giantheadstack
    Free Member

if you get the option of buying a pair of old style M4’s in the sale over the new X2’s,opt for the M4’s. much more powerful. I’ve got the X2’s on my hardtail and M4’s on the suss. The shape of the new lever is the best thing on the the new brake and thats about it. If the union jack is the selling point. You can buy the mono res caps seperately and fit them to the M4’s. 😯

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve got ’em and managed to fit them with XO triggers ok (there’s a guide on Hope’s website to show you some locations for shifters), I will however get the Hope matchmakers as they look prety good.

The new lever is excellent with plenty of options to set them up for how you like them, the pads are bigger in the new calipers than the old ones, I’ve taken them out easily and replaced no problems.

ton

i have a set of these, used in the wet last weekend in the lakes.
    screeched like mad for the 1st 2 descents then they were fantastic.
    i think they screeched cos i had not bedded them in at all.
    the bite and reach knobs to adjust them are great, i like my brakes to be on/off, do not care about feel/modulation, and with the bite adjuster i can get the feel i like.
    levers are the best feeling i can remember using, nice and comfy with 1 or 2 fingered braking.

ScotlandTheScared

They are great! No squeal so far. The lever is mega comfy and the feel is superb – you can tune it to feel however you like it. They fitted fine with my xtr triggers, but then they were designed with xtr and X0 in mind! Plenty of power in the X2 too 🙂 and they are good value compared to brakes like avid at the moment.

Plus they look the business 🙂

puddle-rider
    Free Member

Work fine with my SLX shifters!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘hope tech x2’ is closed to new replies.