Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Hope Tech X2 brakes
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Can anyone on here offer a goo review of these brakes, things like Power, feel, reliability, ease of use etc?

I don’t want the usual ‘Hope brakes are the best ‘cos they’re better than Shimano’ rubbish that seems to frequent brake threads, just honest actual end user experiences as they’re pretty damn expensive and I don’t wanna be spending cash unnecessarily on over priced brakes despite the fact they’re made in the UK

jedi

i replaced my original m4’s with these and they rock!
    reach and bite adjustable, great lever feel too. powerful as hell too with modulation

steve_b77
    Free Member

Excellent news, what shifters do you run as I’ve heard there can be issues with fitting certain ones.

bighendo
    Free Member

EXPENSIVE!! nah!
    what makes you say they`re overpriced?

boxfish
    Free Member

The big pros for me are modulation and adjustability. I did end up replacing the front Tech X2 with a Tech M4 though as I felt the X2 was a little underpowered for hooning downhill (I’m 14st though).

They’ve performed flawlessly for 12 months. Support from the manufacturer is great (I am told, but not had to use it so far).
    My only other experience of Hope brakes is the original Mini, and they were pretty good too.

I run them with XTR M970 shifters with no issues.

IanW
    Free Member

Good clearance from the disc making for a free spinning wheel. Easy to bleed. Lots of ajustability. Not that powerful but do stop you. Look good or like there made out of washing machine leftovers.

I would buy them again.

steve_b77
    Free Member

@ bighendo – I’m not saying they’re overpriced, just asking if they live up to their price. By the looks of it they do.

More shiny things for new build 8)

jedi

i use gripshift

martindc
    Free Member

Great so far but only had them a week

GEDA
    Free Member

Think hopes business model being different to the big S. Hopes are a bit expensive but could go on for ever, once Shimano ones die they are dead.

shredder
    Free Member

Have had the older Mini’s and M4’s and now have Tech 4’s X2’s and Tech V2’s across my bikes. I find them superb for power and modulation and the backup.

Use mine with the Hope matchmaker clamps for XT and XTR shifters

Will not be looking elesewhere.

elaineanne
    Free Member

i have them on my bike..i think they are ace ! i also like the ‘reach’ and ‘bite’ adjustments ..great. 😉

spikyjames
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve been using Tech X2s on my bike for a while now, I’ve got braided hoses with then aswell, I can’t fault them tbh, if you want to stop you’ll stop, haven’t had to change the pads yet either and I’ve had them on the bike for the best part of a year and a half.

Engineering wise there everything you’d expect from Hope, very high quality.

James

slowrider
    Free Member

Jedii do use x2’s or v2’s? I think the x2 are great but wouldn’t call them powerful. They make up for it in jfeel though. Hard to explain, they just feel right

jedi

i use both!

sailor74
    Free Member

They are robust, offer reach and bite point adjustment and look pretty good too.
    They are also very easy to work on and spares are readily available.
    A little more fiddly to setup than other brakes as you really need to centre the caliper properly to get the best performance. Also it is not possible to get as good a bleed as other brakes using the standard method. However I find using a syringe and alternatively pushing fluid back in (from the caliper) and pulling back on the plunger to draw the air out gives much better results.
    Finally the X2 are ok for xc but if you want to ride aggressively you really need something more powerful. I run an x2 on the rear with a 183 rotor and a M4 up front with a 203 rotor, to be honest I would prefer something more powerful though.

bighendo
    Free Member

steve_b77… believe me you aint gonna get more for less
    so why did i buy some??
    beautiful quality,
    they are aluminium with no magnesium..
    ..so they will look just as shiney after a year of hard use,
    the reach and bite adjusters are killer 🙂
    the standard semi sintered oem pads can be noisy
    but if thats an issue softer pads will make them silent,
    bottom line… BUY some!!!

Pieface

I have an X2 front that I had to buy due to new forks, and not wanting to go up to a massive rotor so have it matched with an old, much needed of an overhaul, mini lever. Performance was much better than the mono mini it replaced.

The looks are love ot or hate it, but the overall finish and levels of workmanship are higher then XT IMO. I bought some elixirs recently and thought they were a bit 20th century compared to the x2s.

Performance may not be mind blowing but good enough, and the workmanship is second to none, similar to high end Magura’s.

bighendo
    Free Member

A little more fiddly to setup than other brakes as you really need to centre the caliper properly to get the best performance

lol,hahahahaha… here`s what i do …
    … slacken 2 caliper screws, pull brake lever, retighten screws, release brake lever,
    ………………<60 seconds

mudpup
    Free Member

I have 3 yr old xt shifter pods with my X2 techs. Had to take off shifter windows and the brakes need to be run a long way inboard (compared to my previous Minis) to get the lever in the right place. I found that risers with a bulge on the bend (Truvativs)werent usable – had to change the bars to some Eastons.
    TBH they were a bit of a faff compared with all the other Hopes i’ve used but once set up they are good.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tech X2 brakes’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM