Hope Tech Evo X2: Disappointed..

Home Forum Bike Forum Hope Tech Evo X2: Disappointed..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Hope Tech Evo X2: Disappointed..
  • Premier Icon djflexure
    Subscriber

I found X2’s are a bit light on their own. Use M4 front and x2 rear on xc bike, works very well. V2 on trail bike- they are great.

stevede

I love my tech x2’s and use them for everything including riding dh (on my burly set up five not a dh bike), the brakes work great for me, I don’t like grabby brakes, I prefer not to lock up the wheels as soon as I touch the brakes as I find it gives me more control. Each to their own though. I have 183mm rotors on mine and never felt the need to go up to bigger rotors.

elliott-20

I’ve done a mixture of moorland routes and trail centres

There you go, that’s your problem. ๐Ÿ˜†

In all seriousness. I run the non-evo tech M4/X2 combo and get on well with it. They are a lot softer in feel to say the SLX or new XT but I get on better with that than the ‘snap’ of the Shimanos. It also took a few rides to be in properly and the sintered (gold) pads do seem to perform better than the stock organics that came with the brakes.

micky

Are you a heavy rider? Have you bedded them in properly? Are your rotors clean or pads contaminated? I have to say mine are fatastic. I have never used more than one finger to brake. More than enough power.

RichieBoy

Considering the cost i think they are rubbish so far. Although i do wonder if theres something wrong with mine if others are getting on well with them.

Off to the peaks on sunday so i’ll have a go at bedding some new sintered pads in before then and ses if it makes a difference.

RichieBoy

No, not a heavy rider (12 stone), and yes they are bedded in properly. Dont think they are contaminated, but i’ll swap the pads and clean the rotors with disc cleaner to be safe.

micky

Yes that sounds like a good idea RichieBoy. From brand new mine were as snappy and powerfull as hell. They have lost a bit now with use but are still fantastic to use and beautifully engineered.

MRanger156

I tried my mates Hope Tech M4s (not evo) and was very glad I bought shimano instead.

Talk to Hope directly – their customer service is excellent.

JonEdwards

They’re a very different feel to Shimano.

I don’t like the current Shimanos- too much raw power, not enough modulation. Arguably X2’s are exactly the opposite. Loads of modulation, but yes, you do have to PULL the lever to stop, not just fart in it’s general vicinity.

nmdbase

I’ll do a deal with my 2012 XT’s ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

clean the rotors with disc cleaner

Don’t do this, it’s always shagged my brakes terribly. Clutch cleaner is what you want, if you want to be sure. Or meths.

Swapped to the Evo X2s from XTs, delighted with them, I’m a heavy guy, had no shortage of power out of the box, did tweak the bite point to get them to grab a bit quicker as the long throw was too much of a change.

Premier Icon Simwit
    Subscriber

I have to agree with Richieboy on this. I recently bought a set of the special edition X2’s to base a build around the green & black colour scheme (yes,yes I know it’s lame!) & I have to say I’m just not liking them. Maybe it’s because my only other experience of MTB disc brakes is 2010 XT’s and I’m just used to how they feel but the X2’s seem weak.

b r

They are not sharp, but do work well.

Happy with mine.

RichieBoy

From the feedback i’m getting here i reckon i’ll be going back to shimano. I loved the SLX brakes and if the hope brakes behave differently when working well i dont think i’ll get on with them ๐Ÿ™

RichieBoy

My new hope brakes are 5 rides old now. I’ve done a mixture of moorland routes and trail centres and found them lacking in power, even once the pads have bedded in.

Anyone else had similair experiences? Considering going back to my excellent SLX brakes..

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Is it a bleeding issue? Did you shorten the hoses, or are they perhaps coming poorly bled from the factory?

Considering the cost i think they are rubbish so far.

i had a similar experience and got rid of them. Whenever i mentioned it everyone just said Hope brakes were great and there must be something wrong with them, but i could never find out what, despite sending them back to Hope a couple of times

RichieBoy

Yep all bled perfectly. Give them their due, they are great to work on!

stevede

The feel of Hopes is massively different to Shimano brakes, if you want the lever feel and bite you had with Shimano then your looking in the wrong place, i have a good few mates who love the XT’s they got from Rose bikes for decent money, i tried them and hated them, they don’t like my brakes either so it’s all down to personal preference. I like my brakes to have stacks of modulation and only anchor up when i’m fully at the bars.

Premier Icon monkeysfeet
    Subscriber

Have you considered a larger rotor? If you want rid I have a mint set of the last gen. Xt brakes I will swap.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

RichieBoy

thanks for the offer monkeysfeet, but i reckon if i swap back i’ll go for the 2012 versions i had before. I may sell the hopes though…

I’ve got the lastest XT’s on one bike, had elixirs before that and XT-mini’s before that.

The X2’s are great for XC and plenty powerfull enough. Not as powerfull as the others, but close enough. I run them with lightweight rotors which dulls their power a bit and they’re still good.

The XT’s I thought were very good, but once set up how I liked them they’re not as solid and powerfull as I rememeber, still more than good enough. Seem’s they get worse the closer you run them to the bar (I run mine so I can pull the lever right to the bar and be only just locking up when braking with one wheel and my weight right off the back on the road).

The Elixirs were functionaly the best, although their reliability was lacking. More power than the XT’s but that was useless if on one in 4 rides they’d pull to the bar!

RichieBoy

I’ll never touch Avid! The amount we get in the workshop that are totally goosed defies belief!

M6TTF

for balance – 2 sets of elixirs over 4 yrs, all flawless

ChunkyMTB

2012 XT’s are unbelievably powerful, especially with a large rotor. One finger jobby with no fade. Combined with the ice tech rotors and the new pads.

I won’t go back to Hope which I’ve used for years. (they look nice)

Premier Icon ononeorange
    Subscriber

Heavy rider here. I have X2s on my bike and love them. I’ve always used very second-hand brakes and am delighted by how good my new x2s are. No issues at all stopping (183 on the front).

nmdbase

Richieboy, if you do want to go back to Shimano i have some 2012 XT that I will PX for your Hopes ๐Ÿ™‚ Give me a shout if you do.

First of all what are you using them for? They are XC brakes, not AM although I’ve done some very big techy descents with one finger braking.

When you bled them did you go through the extra bit of putting the caps back on, pointing them down, doing some tapping, etc, as per the video on the Hope website? Also did you wind the BPA screw fully out before starting the bleed, also per the video? If not you may still have air in the system.

They are a little picky on how they are set up and don’t like being run too close to the bar. The setup I find works best is to screw the BPA all the way in, then back out 3 clicks. Then set the reach. Needs a bit of time to get used to a different feeling to grabbier brakes

RichieBoy

Yep done all that. I’ve worked on them since they were released (i’m a bike mechanic for the last 15 years), just never had personal experience riding them until the last month or so.

It might be i just dont get on with them!

Mine were the same until i centralized the piston / pads. Now i can set them up from instant bite to loads of modulation using the BPC. I had Saint M810’s prior to these and although not quite as grabby they are still more than powerful and sharp enough. Initially though they felt wooden with no bite until i centralized the pads:
    http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG354

crftom

X2 are amazing brakes, must be somthing wrong with yours, what rotors you running??

RichieBoy

Running 180/160. They work, dont get me wrong, they just dont have that ‘bite’ my SLX’s had, and i find it hard to lock the wheels.

I thought the same when i first got mine, but i put 203 rotor on front and 183 on rear they’re now fantastic !!!!!!

crftom

sorry i meant brand / style of rotors not just size

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

I bought a set from a chap who said they were under powered. I said it was probably down to set up and they were pants on his bike. Anyway, I gave them a tinker and put them on the wife’s bike and they’re awsome.

Premier Icon monkeysfeet
    Subscriber

Interesting this richie, I am currently awaiting my new bike and have opted for some hope v2’s…previously used xt, the model prior to ice tech, will have to see how they fare, going for larger rotors tho. I had mini mono’s a few years back and never had any issues hence why I went for hope…

RichieBoy

Quick update on this: I changed the rotors, popped new pads in and the brakes are now excellent. We stuck the old discs in a bike with brakes that were working properly and they were suddenly rubbish. Looks like the discs were contaminated.

The last two rides the brakes have been excellent. How the discs got contaminated i dont know, i’m always really carefull. I suspect something got on them when it was parked in the shop next to my work stand..

I run 203mm rotor front and 180mm back on my X2 and they are brilliant lovely feel to lever and they stop you on six pence

Premier Icon leftyboy
    Subscriber

I run X2’s with 183 rotors both ends, they are fantastic and I’m 14 stone. I like a soft feel with the power only really biting when I really need it so the X2’s suit me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tech Evo X2: Disappointed..’ is closed to new replies.