Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Hope Pro II rear (with alloy carrier) for singlespeed duties?
  • voodoochris
    Free Member

Hi,

The cheap and nasty hub that comes as standard on the back of my GF Rig has died and so I’m looking to replace it with a quality unit. At first I thought a Hope singlespeed/trials unit would do the trick (which I’m sure it would) but then I got to thinking that if I got the Pro II I could slap some gears on the bike if I fancied doing some long distance rides on it (the Rig has the option to run gears).

The question is, will the alloy carrier on a Pro II be strong enough to run a single cog on? My other Hope hub with a titanium carrier has lots of (small) gouges on the carrier splines when the load is spread over a big area, so will running one cog totally kipper it?

Anyone out there been running a Hope Pro II with a single cog on it for sometime? Your comments would be appreaciated.

Cheers

VC

muffin_the_mule
    Free Member

I’ve got the hope SS hubs which just has a smaller version of the same freehub body as the standard ProII. I use a salsa cog which in nice and thick so it spreads the load much better, cutting far less into the spline. Hope this helps.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t.
    There was a pic of one on here recently with a huge slot cut into a Pro 2 freehub body by a SS cog, and it was one of those wide-based ones, too…..

Get a steel freehub, or just go for XT. Personally I don’t rate Pro 2s that highly anyway. The bearings just don’t last as long as the old XCs did. They are a lot smaller, to get a bigger axle options through the middle. I’ve just managed to pick up a new XC in my LBS for £60….

big_n_daft
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=25986

see if DJ or ride-on will do a hub with the steel freehub fitted

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro II rear (with alloy carrier) for singlespeed duties?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM