Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Hope brakes – noisy when wet?
  • Gareth_Uglow
    Free Member

My Hope mono minis have taken to wailing like a pair of banshees whenever braking in the wet. Also noticing a loss of power too. At high speed on the road it's not a problem, presumably because at high speed they dry out quickly then resume service as normal, but on every descent this Saturday in the Lakes a godawful noise accompanied me from top to bottom. I also crashed into a wall very slowly as the brakes refused to work.

I thought the pads might have been contaminated with oil, but a) they're brand new pads and b) doesn't happen when dry.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Gareth

qwerty
    Free Member

no idea, try cantis instead, mine squeal like banshees when dry but shut up when wet 💡

clubber
    Free Member

All my Hopes tend to be noisy in the wet (though strangely they weren't on Saturday) though I've not noticed any significant drop in performance.

Coleman
    Free Member

Mine too. Squeel when wet but no loss of power.

Hope sell them in matching pairs, with a different pitch squeel front and rear, so you can play tunes on them. A nice diversion on really wet rides!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Mine too – was going to try copper grease behind the pads (just a tiny amount) but havent got round to it yet 😉

ady
    Free Member

Went for first ride on new bike on saturday and the hope x2 seemed to squeel more than my old hope minis in the wet .

DT78
    Free Member

All of my brakes (mini, louise & lx) will make an initial 'squeal' when first used in wet conditions but then they are usually fine. No problems with power loss at all.

Most likely is some form of disk/pad contamination.

coatesy
    Free Member

Maybe try some sintered pads for the wet, they generate a bit more heat and work/wear better in these conditions.

CountZero

As they're new pads, did you do a real good high speed bedding in? Hope's advice was always use gritty muddy water on the pads when bedding in. My old Hope M4 on the front of my SS squeaks a fair bit, which I put down to my carbon forks, 'cos they didn't do it on my old Bombers, or the steel rigid forks on the previous SS. I think it's a resonance thing, like a wine glass ringing with a wet finger, and coppergrease on the pad backs is supposed to help, allegedly.

Gareth_Uglow
    Free Member

I bedded them in a bit, didn't really have time before the ride. A few laps of the car park, not really high speed. Maybe will do it properly and see if that helps.

meadowedge
    Free Member

Probably do just want bedding in. Mine squeak a little on each application but then settle down.
    definately no to grease behind pads! then it will contaminate without doubt!
    Just get out and ride them more!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

mine are noisey when wet especially, with hope sintered pads they seem alot worse though, im trying some organic/kevlar superstar ones to see if they help any….

i feel your pain! thought it was just mine to be honest, mine seem to clear better and get less squeally once they are heated up on organics, but when i had sintered hope pads no matter how much i braked it didnt shift the noise once they were wet…..

everyone bangs on about setup being correct, but surely we cant all have things wrong?!?!?! feeble excuse, just make brakes that dont squeal 🙂 thats all i ask of theeeee hope 🙁

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ps mine are hope tech x2's too, seem fine in the dry conditions, but as soon as a smidge of water appears the front brake goes off on one 🙁 the rear brake is silent regardless though which even more frustrating!

pss tried coppergrease and that did nothing either 🙁

Reluctant
    Free Member

Hope's have a reputation for being noisy when damp or wet. Not a little noise either, loud howling banshee noises – not good. I tried all sorts with mine which seemed worse with every newer model. gave up last year and bought a set of XTs which have been perfect and silent from day one till now.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Brakes squeal – end of. My Hopes squeal like hell but get better as they warm up.

lagerfanny
    Free Member

I love the screaming sound of my M4's, although they only sing in really damp conditions as opposed to being soaking wet.
    Mind you riding in a group it's fun to hear who brakes early or unnecessarily and then the banter adds to the fun!

bassspine
    Free Member

like a hunting pack of oboes riding through the woods…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Hope brakes – noisy when wet?’ is closed to new replies.