Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Hood vs no hood
  • mjsmke

For cycling and a bit of running, does a hood get in the way more than it might be used? Does it turn into a parachute for XC riding? Can it be tucked inside the jacket?

scotroutes

I have jackets with hoods and jackets without. The hood doesn’t seem to be an impediment at any time. Nice to have when it’s properly minging though,

Mister-P
    Free Member

No hood. If it’s horrible out I wear a winter cap under my helmet to keep my head and ears warm.

cakefacesmallblock

My favourite riding jacket, which, for me is the perfect balance between waterproof, breathable and warmth has a hood. It’s good to be able to use the hood if stopped for a brew or mechanical and retain a little heat.
    However if on roads or lanes it’s a pain in cross-headwinds blowing slightly from the left. It obscures that safety glance when trying to turn right or overtake parked vehicles or other riders. Not a problem with a back pack as it can cover the hood. On balance a good thing I think.

onehundredthidiot

No good for me. Merino beanie can stuff in a pocket.

shermer75
    Free Member

I find them annoying, but if they can be stowed away then not so bad
    Caveat: I live in London, where the weather is reliably less minging

matt_outandabout

I’ve both.

Having mucked around, I think nice snug collar and deep hat over ears is best on road and most weather.

Properly minging, hood is good, but I do find it isolates noise and on occasion hinders rearwards looks.

mjsmke

Sounds like no hood is better. I was looking at Enduras Hummvee jacked in grey. The version without a hood is only black or yellow which I don’t want.

footflaps

Personally I prefer no hood on a bike, just wear a waterproof hat under my helmet if it’s pissing down.

scuttler

Shower cap over your lid.

mjsmke

I’ll probably never use the hood. It’s just the few jackets I like have hoods. I guess I could cut the hood off.

kayak23

Almost never use the hood, but always want a hood on my jackets.
    Funny old world.

dudeofdoom

Depends if it’s just for the bike or for mutipurpose activities 🙂

Although usually it falls to the best deal on waterproof stuff at the time.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Don’t ever use the hood on my soft shell jacket but it looks far cooler which surely is the point😉.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Can’t stand hoods! Don’t mind a hat though. Think I just don’t like having my ears covered up?

I do have this Sealskinz waterproof/breathable hood I use when the weather is really bad. Kind of works like a buff if you don’t put the hood bit up

fazzini

Shower cap over your lid.

Ah, but can you get your lid over your rollers @scuttler 😉

Either for me. Prefer no hood for more road orientated jaunts due to visibility etc., but if its properly horrid then a hood is nice during lunch stops

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s just the few jackets I like have hoods. I guess I could cut the hood off.

Buy the jacket you like.

The hood won’t bother you IRL.

nickc

It depends on how the jacket and hood are designed to work both when the hood is used and how it’s stowed away when not in use. IME vey little though is given to the latter issue by most manufacturers. I’ve just bought a Montane packlite and while it’s quite a good jacket the hood is the single most annoying thing about because it just gets in the way.

grum
    Free Member

Almost never use the hood, but always want a hood on my jackets.
    Funny old world.

This

And also this

Buy the jacket you like.

The hood won’t bother you IRL.

But…

the hood is the single most annoying thing about because it just gets in the way.

Gets in the way of what? What are you regularly doing that involves the area behind your head/shoulders?

lunge

I don’t like them. Never seems to fit when up and add bulk when down.
    Personal preference though isn’t it?

footflaps

The only proper roadie jacket with a hood, that I can think of, is Raphas foul weather shakedry jacket, they pretty much all are hoodless.

mjsmke

I’ll be using it for cycling and running. The thing is, I avoid riding in the rain as much as possible, though happy to run in the rain. I find having a waterproof jacket with pit zips is a good cheapish winter top layer. My current one (not made anymore) got used a lot in the cold every year.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Hood vs no hood’ is closed to new replies.