Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Honking brakes
  • julians
    Free Member

Ok, so here the problem.

I have some magura mt7 brakes and magura Mdr c centerlock rotors. They work fine, good power etc, they silent when cold,but as soon as they get hot they start honking like an angry goose.

Here’s what I have tried to fix it. All made no difference.

– new pads
    – lightly sand rotors
    – clean rotors and pads with alcohol
    – align calipers
    – tighten centerlock lock ring
    – I swapped the wheels (with rotors) onto a different bike that has Shimano xt brakes that are normally silent, they honked when hot, implying something specific about the rotors that’s making the honk.

Anyone got any good ideas? Sounds like something vibrating/resonating when hot,it’s driving me nuts.

julians
    Free Member

I wonder if it’s the rotor vibrating against the hub. I wonder whether I can fabricate some kind of softwasher to go between the rotor and hub to reduce any resonance (if it is that)

julians
    Free Member

Or could it be caused by a very slightly worn bearings in the hub allowing a wobble?

There’s no detectable play in the wheel itself though

thols2

A different brand/compound pad would be an obvious thing to try.

jca

Remove the goose…

julians
    Free Member

Remove the goose

Doh, why didn’t I think of that.

Will try changing pads to a different brand and compound. I’m currently using uberbike race matrix, have been using them for years in other brakes with no problems,but maybe it’s something wierd about these pads .

reeksy

Are the rotors past their minimum thickness? Perhaps it’s a sophisticated wear alert?

My front Magura rotor squeals when cold. Same pads and a different front wheel with a SRAM rotor and it’s silent.

julians
    Free Member

Are the rotors past their minimum thickness? Perhaps it’s a sophisticated wear alert

No,rotors are brand new

ackey
    Free Member

I had exactly the same issue with uberbike race matrix pads on magura mt5. Changed pads to magura and issue resolved. Likewise have used uberbike pads for a number of years without any prev. problems

julians
    Free Member

ackey
    Free Member
    I had exactly the same issue with uberbike race matrix pads on magura mt5. Changed pads to magura and issue resolved. Likewise have used uberbike pads for a number of years without any prev. problems

Thanks, yes I reckon it’s likely to be the pads

thols2

No,rotors are brand new

Might be worth giving the pads and the braking surface of the rotors a light sanding, then clean with washing up detergent and hot water. Then try bedding them in again. Noisy brakes are often just because they haven’t bedded in properly.

julians
    Free Member

Might be worth giving the pads and the braking surface of the rotors a light sanding, then clean with washing up detergent and hot water. Then try bedding them in again. Noisy brakes are often just because they haven’t bedded in properly

Did that yesterday,no improvement

julians
    Free Member

Ive ordered a set of official magura “race” pads, theyre expensive, but will see if they are quiet.

dave_h
    Free Member

I swapped the wheels (with rotors) onto a different bike that has Shimano xt brakes that are normally silent, they honked when hot, implying something specific about the rotors that’s making the honk.

I’m confused. Different wheels / same rotors or different wheels and rotors. They still honked?

julians
    Free Member

I’m confused. Different wheels / same rotors or different wheels and rotors. They still honked?

Bike 1: Magura Mt7 brakes, with uberbike race matrix pads and magura mdr c rotors honks like an angry goose.
    Bike 2: shimano xt 4 pot brakes, with uberbike race matrix pads and shimano rotors is silent.

I took the wheels (with the rotors still attached) off bike 1, and fitted them onto bike 2 , and the honking started on bike 2.

So my conclusion is that the combination of uberbike race matrix pads and magura discs is a noisy one, so I’m going to try dumping the uberbike pads and try some magura pads instead, as this is cheaper than buying some new rotors for the bike that has the magura rotors.

Theres an outside chance that its not related to the pad/disc combination and is something related to the wheels. If they still honk with the magura race pads, then I will try fitting the wheels (and rotors) off bike 2 onto bike 1. I cant just swap the rotors between the wheels because one set is centerlock the other is 6 bolt.

julians
    Free Member

ok, just to update this thread in case anyone comes across it in a search.

I switched to a set of official magura brake pads (magura “race” pads) and the honking noise went away. There obviously some weirdness with the uberbike race matrix pads happening, because I’ve been using uberbike race matrix pads for years in other calipers/disc combos with no noise. but for some reason the uberbike race matrix pads and magura mdr c rotors make a racket.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.