• This topic has 36 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by hols2.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • homemade soup recipes.
  • ton

currently tucking into a 5 veg 3 bean spiced soup, made by myself yesterday. and it is pretty good.

anyone else make soup.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yup, recipe’s are “whatever is going / gone out of date in the fridge so probably safe to eat if it’s boiled for 20 minutes + some potatoes and onions”.

slowoldman

Lots. Currently doing ham hock, lentil and veg ready for when we come in later from a cold evening checking out the rutting action on East Moor (unless it’s all over now).

ajantom

Did a spicy butternut squash soup last night. Yum.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just made a mexican style chilli and sweetcorn soup for the next couple of evenings.

Mexican Street Corn Soup

Lots more ideas to start from on here:
    https://www.seasonsandsuppers.ca/soups/

toby1

Lunch today is curried sweet potato and coconut milk.

Oil, curry spices and some fresh ginger, fry lightly, add cubed sweet potato, fry for a couple of minutes, top up with stock of some form and simmer till the sweet potato is soft, stir in coconut milk, warm through and blend.

Last week’s was chorizo and tomato. Start off with some oil, onion and chorizo fry till the onions are soft and taking on colour from the chorizo. Pour in stock and tinned chopped tomatoes, simmer for 30 mins of so. Add chargrilled (from the BBQ usually) red and yellow peppers and blend half leave half chunky.

Using precooked rice, or precooked chicken or both these can be made into main meals as well as simple soups. Slow cooker, stock pot, saucepan, casserole dish, anything can be used really.

mariner
    Free Member

A Potato
    An Onion
    Chicken stock
    A Stick Blender
    Everything else is a variation on this.

IdleJon

A Potato
    An Onion
    Chicken stock
    A Stick Blender

Exactly.

My favourite is the above, with a couple of cloves of garlic, then a ton of spinach, a couple of courgettes and a big bunch of parsley. Simmer for twenty minutes, blend, add some cream.

Absolutely gorgeous snot green soup!

corroded
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with a spicy squash soup: nutmeg and turmeric, fresh ginger and garlic, a carrot and onion, roast squash. Am also partial to making a Tuscan-style bean and barley soup with greens. And an Asian-style broth with garlic, ginger, chilli, miso, soy, fish sauce, prawns, greens and noodles. All with homemade stock. Delicious.

BillMC

tucking into a 5 veg 3 bean spiced soup

but can you lay a carpet with confidence?

disco_stu
    Free Member

Made a batch of chicken stock over the weekend from the remains of a roast chicken.
    It got turned into Thai chicken noodle soup this evening. I added shallots, chilli, garlic lemongrass, sliced courgette, coriander, thai green paste, fish suace & coconut milk.

I think I’ll be doing it again next time I have left over chicken.

slowoldman

The remains of Sunday’s roast chicken always go to making a chicken and veg broth (called chicken brothel by big sis and me). It has to be done, ’tis a family rule.

Favourites here recently have been pea and broccoli and beetroot and apple (the latter with a drizzle of horseradish mixed with yoghourt).

myti
    Free Member

Did beetroot, cardamom, orange and coconut milk the other day to use up the 5 beets from the veg box. Nice with toasted pumpkin seeds. Red wee for 2 days though!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Roasted yams, carrots, potato, stock, onion, curry paste, milk, coriander.

Lovely.

anagallis_arvensis

Seeing as how Butternut squash is popular I do chorizi, fried, then onion garlic, chilli, squash and stock then blend at end.

plumber
    Free Member

Slow cooker anything – stew/soup call it what you will

Basically four hours or so, cool over night then anther 2 hours to blend the flavours

Stick a few portions in the freezer – never label anything

variations of whatever we have around plus sometimes mix n match from the freezer

onehundredthidiot

Great intentions of making soup on Sunday. Removed the chicken crown to allow quickers stock making and easier roasting.
    Unfortunately the tasty stock went into a risotto last night. Chicken legs in butter beans and winter greens tonight though. Yum yum.

mogrim

A Potato
    An Onion
    Chicken stock
    A Stick Blender

Yup.

This, add peas and when they’re soft some fresh mint for a couple more minutes. Blend.

DickBarton

These all sound rather nice…I may try making some, thanks for the suggestions.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I make soup. Even have a Soup Bible
    Yesterday I took the remains of a refrigerated root veg stew and blended with garlic, ground ginger, chilli paste, onions, spices, water and fresh tomatoes to use as the base for a British Indian gravy for a mushroom madras

It was (surprisingly) better than our regular Indian takeaway’s madras recipe (and by contrast virtually fat-free) so I made some quick flatbreads (with flour, olive oil, water and salt). Then discovered our wholemeal flour was 3 years out of date and smelled funky. So made some more with self raising. And they still worked. A good night was had. Dip nom dip nom dip nom. I nearly got out of bed in the night to go for a dip.

The soup:

1.5l stock made with veg stock cubes to instructions on pack.

In massive saucepan:

2 diced onions, softened in tblsp oil
    Then add (chopped and diced) all of following:
    3 med carrots
    1 leek
    1 white turnip
    1/2 a swede
    1 Parsnip
    2 x celery sticks
    2 x potatoes
    Tsp of mixed herbs
    salt and pepper

Simmer all in stock for 45 min add instant onion gravy granules to thicken, blend if you like. I use a hand-held blender and smash it in the pan, usually blend half of it.
    If you want to add dumplings do it now and drop them in the soup returning to stove for about 5-10min until dumplings cooked.

Let cool a little, serve in bowl with thick warm bread and spread.

Indian gravy:

Use a takeaway-container-sized portion of above soup leftovers, and add to a large pan. Add 10 baby fresh tomatoes (halved) or 4 big ones (chopped)
    Add a big chopped brown onion
    5-6 smashed garlic cloves (choose big ones)
    2 cups water
    1 heaped tblsp tomato paste
    1 dessert spoon red chilli paste
    2 tsp ground ginger or chopped fresh ginger
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp ground turmeric
    Salt and pepper

Blend the lot until smooth. Cover and cook on low heat for at least 30 mins stirring occasionally. Add whole mushrooms cook until correct mouthfeel achieved.

bsims
    Free Member

When I say I make I mean Mrs Sims makes…
    A nice leak and potato and pea and mint soup which are my favourites amongst others.

edit: leek, hopefully the soup won’t be going everywhere.

lunge

Potatoes
    Leeks
    An onion
    Chicken stock
    Maybe some garlic
    Or some lemon grass
    Blitz.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

*DAMMIT – forgot two ingredients for the Madras gravy:

2 tblsp coconut cream
    1 level dessert spoon sugar

Add while cooking and stir in.

IdleJon

These all sound rather nice…

They do. Except….,

beetroot, cardamom, orange and coconut milk

which sounds like a random collection of stuff to use up. I’ll bet it’s better than it sounds, though. 😁

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Oh for Christ’s sake I also forgot the Tandoori Masala spice blend. 1/2 dessert spoon of. Garam masala will also work. Will start a Brindian recipe thread soon and post the entire recipe properly. It’s the season for warming soups and curries…

ton

I know a bloke on here, who promised me some fresh crab
    some kind of crab soup would be awesome

misteralz
    Free Member

I’ve perfected my ertwensoep recipe after living in NL for nearly three years now…

Handful of bacon bits, fried with butter, onions, garlic and diced celeriac. Fling in some chunks of tattie as well. Once that’s all nicely sweated, add hot chicken stock, red lentils, green split peas, and a whole smoked sausage. Stir every now and again and leave it on a low heat for about two hours. Serve with rye bread and ham. Lovely.

mogrim

Once that’s all nicely sweated, add hot chicken stock, red lentils, green split peas, and a whole smoked sausage.

Not sure I can get smoked sausage here, loads of chorizo though… wonder if that would work? 🤔

kelvin

This time of year my soups are mostly cheap parsnips.

[ all soups use celery, onion, chilli, stock cube + any leftovers* ]

[ *broccoli and cauliflower stalks most often ]

slowoldman

Smoked sausage is splendid in soup.

faerie
    Free Member

There’s nothing like a hot mug of soup when you come in from the cold. I cheat and have my freezer stocked with frozen veg such as mushrooms, spinach, squash, onions, garlic and herbs. Spinach and nutmeg is a favourite, handful of onions, chopped potatoe a packet of spinach (you may wish to add a dash of lemon juice, not to taste but to keep the colour) and a pinch or two of nutmeg with a glug of cream. Remember a soup boiled is a soup spoiled, just let the veg simmer until soft.

Cougar

I make soup. Even have a Soup Bible

Amateur. I have The Soup Bible and The New Soup Bible.

garage-dweller

I have a 15 minute emergency store cupboard soup. Brilliant for defrosting your insides after a late night ride.

Can of mixed pulses
    Squidge of tomato puree
    1/2 tsp chilli flake
    Chopped chorizo
    Oregano
    Enough stock to cover

Simmer 10-15 minutes

Scoff

It’s not fine dining but it’s filling, warming and tasty in a sledgehammer to the taste buds way.

garage-dweller

We did curried sweet potato soup last week. River cottage recipe.

Very nice.

granny_ring

Yes Mary Berry’s spicy butternut squash one.
    Brocoli and stiltern out of a magazine and a spicy veg one that I kind of made up.
    Will look on this thread later for some more recipes 👍

ton

todays offering is,
    carrots, spuds, broccoli, onion, garlic, green beans, chorizo, bacon, celery and mushroom.

nice too.

hols2
    Free Member

I misread the thread title as “homicide soup recipes”, had nasty flashbacks to my gran’s cooking.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘homemade soup recipes.’ is closed to new replies.