Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Home Learning College
  • BeardedDave
    Free Member

Has anyone heard of/used these people Home Learning College?

I’ve been doing the same job for 15 years and considering retraining in accountancy. The course offered by these guys seems pretty good and they seem pretty convincing when I spoke to them about it, but wondered whether anyone has had any experience of them, before I hand over my money and my future!

jonk

How much is it compared to your local college? With a learn at home course you need to have a lot of self motivation to get the work done. The other problem IMO is that you don’t meet anyone who is doing the same course; people you can discuss ideas and learn from making the course much easier and enjoyable.

BeardedDave
    Free Member

Local college isn’t really an option. It’s very likely that I will have to relocate at some point soon, to suit my girlfriend’s job, with the potential that this may even be in another country! Self motivation shouldn’t be an issue. I’m happy with the idea of learning at home, just would like to know if anyone has any specific experience with these people.

Junkyard
    Free Member

your link does not work is it an AAT course and what is the cost?

BeardedDave
    Free Member

The link is just to the website of the ‘college’ not the course. The course is AAT level 2 and cost is around about £1350.

meehaja
    Free Member

when you say accountancy, depends what level of accountant you want to be. My ex did a trainee accountantnat job straight out of sixth form, been there 10 years now and seems to quite like it, payed around £20k i think. My old house mate has a degree in accountancy and finance, and is now at night school 4 days a week doing management accountancy which will pay lots.Both my parents were ACCA accountants. I’m not sure how accreditation works etc, but i got the impression that its the kind of job where the qualification doesn’t necessarily qualify you for the job. I’d check what the end qualification is, and what sort of career you can expect as a follow up to that.

mogrim

If there’s a real chance of ending up in another country – how transferable are the qualifications you’re planning on getting?

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Just make sure the qualification that you are getting is exactly what you need. My experience of distance learning is that you often get a similar but not exactly the same qualification to the norm from your local college (th exact city and guilds number is important).

Local college should be quite a bit cheaper.

BeardedDave
    Free Member

Meehaja, I appreciate there’s different levels of accountancy. This is just a fairly basic qualification, which shouldn’t take too long to do. I would be doing this more as a starter, or foot in the door, and then look to progress from that to whatever level I felt comfortable at.

If we did end up moving to another country it would only be a short term thing, so by the time I would have finished the course, we would most likely be back in the UK anyway.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Home Learning College’ is closed to new replies.