Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Home Insurance Renewal – M&S / Barclays…
  • sp
    Free Member

Well its that time of year again. Have been with M&S for yonks, sure its been good cover but its so expensive. Having searched the forums I’m also aware M&S may have altered their level of cover for unspecified items from £4000. I see Barclays are offing unspecified cover up to £2500.

Anybody know of other companies out there worth throwing in to the hat?

vincienup
    Free Member

tbh, based on a really good competitive online quote, I was seriously considering M&S…

It may be worth calling and telling them you’re thinking about accepting someone else’s offer for renewal if you’ve been generally happy with them price excepted.

‘Retentions’ can be a magical place to have a conversation, especially with a company you have had a lengthy business relationship

grahamt1980

Just gone with Co-op for our new house.
    Couldn’t be bothered to argue with MandS

souldrummer
    Free Member

I’ve always had my house and contents insured with Barclays, initially because I worked for them. Now I keep it as they are one of the few companies that wil cover subsidence (my house has had it in the past)and also because they do good bike insurance. I have all mine insured and I am pretty sure each is covered up to £2500.

squiff
    Free Member

We are with Barclays for home cover, just claimed on it after my bikes got nicked hassle free to be honest but barclays use an insurance company called ival who use Wheeliesdirect for insurance claims so if your bikes get nicked thats who you get your replacements with.

vinnyeh

Having searched the forums I’m also aware M&S may have altered their level of cover for unspecified items from £4000.

Just been through the same, but staying with M&S- the policy alteration is for bikes only , not unspecified items generally, and only applies to new policies, not existing ones- if your existing policy has cover up to £4k, it will remain at that level for renewal.

I’ve just left m&s after 6 yrs. Now with Igo4 instead. Much cheaper and equal cover. All online so no policy documents through the post, but all available on the website.

bol

My M&S renewal just came through and still £4k for everything including bikes as far as I can tell. They certainly haven’t made me aware of any change.

gsp1984
    Free Member

AA were good for me for buildings and contents. As well as many specified items such as watches, tv and jewelery over £1500 per item… It only cost an extra £16 to insure… Orange Five AM £4.5k, Reaction GTC £1800 and a couple of other bikes that are under £1500. They are covered for theft away from home of locked to the roof… Interestingly also covered for accidental damage away from home, would be interesting to see how that claim was received by them.

Needed to fit an approved ground anchor and use an approved chain though which was expensive.

monkeyboyjc

i went with the AA – its specified cover for items over 1k but with a 2k bike specified on the policy it still works out cheaper than M&S for exactly the same cover.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Esure for me, bikes of 1.5k 2.5k and 5.5k

Had a couple stolen a few years ago and the payed up straight away.

DT78
    Free Member

Not heard of igo4 off to take a look

sp
    Free Member

Cheers folks some good info here I’ll report back with the outcome

Onzadog
    Free Member

Same boat. Just had the M&S renewal quote which has gone up. Was going to do the cancel and reapply game but found out that means we’d lose the £4000 per bike cover. Be happy to walk away if anyone else covers bikes to that sort of value. If they do, I’ve not found them.

daveb
    Free Member

Just left M&S, renewal quote was up by 50% with an excess of £1500.

I had a claim last year as I had a house break in and a few expensive bikes along with electrical kit was stolen, I have since had the locks upgraded on doors and windows, also had an approved alarm fitted so was pissed off at the new quote. Probably going to go with the Co-op

momo

I’ve just renewed with M&S, it’s gone up a couple of quid from last year, but nothing out of the ordinary. Unspecified items remains at £4k, and I have my main bike insured as a specified item at £4.5k.

granny_ring

Same here, my M&S policy has gone up a couple of quid a month so staying with them for the good unspecified cover.

Rich
    Free Member

I was all set to change from M&S to AA, until I noticed that maximum coverage for shed and garage buildings was £3000, which wasn’t enough for my needs. Something to watch out for.

MoreCashThanDash

Barclays came up cheap for me on the Meerkat site, cheapest was from The Green Insurance Company including two bikes specified for £2k each. They are a subsidiary of Kwik Fit insurance, seem OK, was hoping someone on here had experience….

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Home Insurance Renewal – M&S / Barclays…’ is closed to new replies.