Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Wide Handlebars – Recommendations please….
  • beargotsoul

Looking to try out some wide bars, have until recently been running some Renthal Fatbars cut to 720 that I borrowed from a mate. Tempted to get a set of these but not overly keen on the gold colour.

Anyone got any recommendations? thinking around 740 – 750 mm.

Will also be getting a new Stem around 50 – 60mm.

Bike is a Cube Stereo.

Thanks

tomhoward

Easton Haven.

mbarnes
    Free Member

+1 for the havens. I have them and they are a great light bar with a lovely shape and feel

mbarnes
    Free Member

Thinking about it. I have the DH bars, aren’t they the havocs? Anyway, I have the wider Easton carbon bars.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of the Pro Taper bars from Answer. Good shape, not too heavy and come in colours if that’s your thing. Pretty well priced too.

Simon

CRC have still got 745mm Sunline V1’s at £30.

Mackem

Those Sunlines are nice.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I got some Easton Havocs, love the bend, very comfy for me. 750mm wide.

£36 delivered from Merlin (10% applied at checkout)

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/MTB++Parts/Bars++Stems/Handlebars+-+Riser/Easton+Havoc+DH+Alloy+Riser+Bar_HAVOC-ALU-BAR.htm

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Nukeproof Warhead, wider and lighter than either the Havoc or the V1.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Sunline V1’sif they’ve got a colour you like

aftershock
    Free Member

Nuke Warheads

headpotdog
    Free Member

+1 for Easton Havocs. Can’t go wrong 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

The Sunlines are great bars, got them on my DH bike.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I like the answer pro tapers but those sunlines are cheap.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Nukeproof warhead +3

climbingkev
    Free Member

+4 Warheads. Apparently the Koreans like do too.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I’ve got Renthals on my DH bike and the reduced Sunlines from CRC on my XC bike and given the choice again I’d go for the cheaper Sunlines.

Superficial
    Free Member

The Havoc is 750, Haven is 711mm. I’ve got carbon Havocs, they’re sweet.

the_lecht_rocks

Carbon havocs. End of thread…

mbarnes
    Free Member

I want to vote for carbon havocs one more time.

Thanks

grim168
    Free Member

Just about to order some sunline v1’s after reading this thread but not sure what raise.Leaning towards 38mm. I’m 6’2″ riding a large boardman team fs if that makes any difference. Any thoughts ?

honourablegeorge

Two votes from me for carbon havocs, have them on two bikes.

mboy
    Free Member

Sunline all day, every day. Used to be an Easton man, but Sunline just have a nicer shape IMO and look the mutts nuts.

V1 Risers in 19mm if you need a riser bar (nobody needs a 38mm rise these days really unless you’ve got a bad back), or the superb 762mm Flat Bars for those of us trying to get our cockpit a bit lower because of long forks on our bikes.

The fact they’re 1/2 price currently at CRC is a bargain!

patriotpro
    Free Member

NP Warheads 760s

Jamesy
    Free Member

+1 sunline v1

I went with the low rise 750mm with the intention to cut them down but glad i didn’t and will be keeping this width. also changed stem to hope 70mm. i have a cube stereo too and its transformed the bike. enjoy 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Warheads but the yellow paint scratches…

Sunlines come in pretty colours

_tom_
    Free Member

Love the feel of my Deity D30s, the Funn bars I have feel really weird in comparison. Too much sweep on them I think.

GW
    Free Member

Personally I’d ignore every recommendation above until you know your preferred sweep angles and rise then narrow down your choice taking into account preferred material, weight, stiffness/strength and budget. Far too logical for a website frequented by bandwaggon magpies I know but hey ho..

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I know you said you’re not a fan of the colour of the Renthals but they’re an awesome bar. I’ve chopped mine to 750mm and they feel bang on (and I’m narrow in the shoulders).

I’ve also got some V1s and they’re damn good too. I ting I would say is to avoid anything that’s painted. I’ve just taken the Funn Fatboys, which are painted white and were stock on my Spicy and they’re a shocking state! The paint has gone weird by the stem faceplate and it’s even worse where the controls bolts on!

With rise I had a right mare over what to pick with my Renthals, what, with all the different options. I think it just depends on what feels right at the moment. I had 30mm rise bars on and felt I wanted it a bit lower when I sat on the bike so I got the 20mm rise. I moved one more spacer below the stem and I’ve now got a 5mm lower cockpit and less spacers above the stem to stab me when I stack it. All good.

oldboy
    Free Member

+1 for the Sunline V1

coolhandluke
    Free Member

+ another for Sunline V1’s.

Nice bars.

atlaz
    Free Member

Sunline v1 again. Got the flat bars on my hardtail. Great bars.

Rockape
    Free Member

+ another for Nukeproof warheads.

enfht
    Free Member

Chromag Fubars

widge34
    Free Member

I have the Nukeproof Warheads 760mm wide. Love em. Light too.

Tom83

Deity Dirty30 bars.

nixie

Sunline all day, every day. Used to be an Easton man, but Sunline just have a nicer shape IMO and look the mutts nuts.

Don’t they have the same sweep and rise?

Euro
    Free Member

mboy – Member
    nobody needs a 38mm rise these days really unless you’ve got a bad back.

What a load of borrocks.
    I disagree! I’ve 3 bikes, with 3 sets of bars ranging from 19mm (DH) rise to 38mm (XC) and 57mm (jump). We are not all the same.

OP, i’ve a set of Sunlines and like the feel of them. At the current price they’d be worth a punt.

GW
    Free Member

+1 mboy talking bollox

GlitterGary
    Free Member

+2 for mboy talking bollox. High rise has worked for me since 1997, despite the recent bandwagon of flat bars.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Wide Handlebars – Recommendations please….’ is closed to new replies.