Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Hollowtech removal without external BB help please
  • mattp
    Free Member

I've been outside trying to remove the cranks from my spesh epic which the "internal" bearing. I removed the non drive side in 2 mins flat but couldn't get the hollowtech axle to move out through the bearings to enable me to remove the bearings themselves.

What's the right way to remove it, should I be hitting it with a mallet and if so how hard. I'm not a leightweight so don't want to get carried away with a carbon frame and end up with splinters!!!

Please help.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

internal bearings?

mrmo
    Free Member

a few gentle taps should get the axle free of the bearings. it should then slide quite easily until the axle meets the other bearing.

mattp
    Free Member

GeeWavetree – Member

internal bearings?

i.e. not the ones in external cups…

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

the axle stays put then in a cartridge no?

scaredypants

if it's a hollowtech "one" system, it's a sealed-unit cartridge BB just like older shimano square taper ones

I think

mattp
    Free Member

It's hollowtech 2 and "a few gentle taps" didn't get it on the way. It's only 12 months old but I bought it 2nd hand from a jet wash cleaner type person judging by the corrosion on the wheel bearings…

cynic-al
    Free Member

If HT1 then both cranks remove in same way.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Big whack then!

Unscrewong NDS cup may help.

mmb
    Free Member

show us a piccy!

Swalsey
    Free Member

Ignore this – I read the original post wrong…

scaredypants

what are you trying to achieve mattp ?

get at the bearings, or just get the cranks off, or get BB out to replace, or …

how did you get the NDS crank off – blind luck & pulling or using the self extracting bolt(s) ?

try here
    or/and here ?

EDIT – just read your last post: if it's HT 2 then it is external bearings. However, if it is, you DO get the drive side off by belting the far side of the axle with a rubber mallet or something. If it's HT"1" or octalink then no amount of battering will shift the axle.

mattp
    Free Member

hold tight for some pics…

mattp
    Free Member

[img][/img]

mattp
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member

what are you trying to achieve mattp ?

get at the bearings, or just get the cranks off, or get BB out to replace, or …

how did you get the NDS crank off – blind luck & pulling or using the self extracting bolt(s) ?

I need to replace the bearings as it's getting a bit of a wobble on. I've ordered replacements based on the info that I had and I'm picking them up in the morning. Removed the crank arm by removing the allen bolts and centre lock type nut [with the right tool]

steelfan
    Free Member

Its spesh's version of bb30/push fit bearings. Not sure how you remove but I'm sure someone on here does.

mmb
    Free Member

those are ht2 arms but that doesn't look like an ext bb to me! on face value i would say that u have an isis bb there and as such u need a removal tool for that ( so u can unscrew the bb ).can u see all the way thru to the other side of the bb?

scaredypants

not very clear – might it be BB30 shell ?

The crank looks to me like it's a "whack with a rubber mallet" job but I don't properly recognise the group/type to be sure how it's done (didn't some xtr cranks have a different fit??)

mattp
    Free Member

can see all the way though…

steelfan
    Free Member

Spesh website says its Custom Shimano BB-91, OS, press-in bearing.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

looks like a rubber mallet job? dont see them very often. good luck

mattp
    Free Member

the pics are a bit cr*p under the lights in the garage. I'll take some more in the daylight tomorrow… there's definitely no where to attach a tool to the parts that I can see after removing the crank arm and I'm a bit reluctant to start prizing plastic/rubber seals off in case I ruin something that needs to be re-used…

scaredypants

I reckon…

if the inside of the axle looks unbroken/constant surface I'd chance giving it a whack (if it was my bike) (I'd take chain off rings 1st mind)

BB30 are press-fit aren't they? No idea how you'd remove – I'd think about drifting them out from the back I guess

Frankly, I'd ask a dealer (it's a spesh epic ?)

mmb
    Free Member

pretty sure then that a clout will pop that bugger right out then, try to support the frame from the drive side when you do, i use xt 2009 ht2 and that also can sometimes require a little extra persuasion, not sure how to remove the bearings on yours tho!

mattp
    Free Member

Frankly, I'd ask a dealer (it's a spesh epic ?)

The current model – I'll give them a call in the morn, thanks

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Just MTFU and hit it. Use a soft mallet or a cushion it with a bit of wood. If the axle is corroded tight to the bearing then it'll take the drive side bearing out with it. If nothing moves then drop some penetrating oil in between the axle and bearings both sides and leave it overnight.

bruneep
    mattp
    Free Member

one for the morning crew before I take it in to the shop??? has this beaten me?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

mattp- have a look at the Park Tools instructions. With a carbon frame and the risks of screwing it up I would personally want the right tools to keep everything square, so the BB removal tool bruneep links to and a headset press (or big vice and some way of keeping pressure on the outer, not inner race at least). Axle removal should be a hammer job though…

I_Ache
    Free Member

Hit the axle with a rubber mallet. My Saint cranks are tight and I have to do the same. I should guess the reason why its hard to remove is because the bearing has stuck to the axle somehow. If you smack it the bearing will either release from the axle or come out of the frame. Either way you have a result.

Just make sure you grease up the new bearings.

mattp
    Free Member

OK guys, thanks very much for your help. I've spoken to spesh and I need a BB91 [Shimano pressfit]. From talking to the guy at the shop it's obvious that it is just a case of hitting it harder then tapping out the bearing as described above and pressing in a new one.

I am going to get it done by my LBS as they have helped me out before and on the basis that it shouldn't be a big job it's not going to cost to get it done properly.

Thanks again. mattp

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Hollowtech removal without external BB help please’ is closed to new replies.