Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Holiday to Perth Australia
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

How much realistically would be needed spending money daily for a 2.5 week stay? Don’t need accommodation as would be staying with family one week and a friend.
    Flights I’ve already priced up £1600 for two but i’m being picky about which Airline I want to go with. And car hire.

I know booze is expensive over there and ciggies but I hardly drink Alcohol these days anyway.

nickjb
    Free Member

Car hire is cheap, as is camper rental. Depends on your circumstances but there’s some great places a bit of drive away. Well worth getting away for a few days if you can. It would be a shame to go that far and just see the city.

Food is pretty expensive even in the supermarket but not crazy prices, a little more than the UK.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Yeah would definitely like to Explore. I’ve been twice before but was with my Mum as I was a Teenager. (2002 and 2005.
    Like to get out Cycling also on the road bike if its possible to Hire a decent road bike.

Would 200 Dollars a day be sufficient or a little more needed?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im just back from perth last week

In the right supermarkets i didnt find it very expensive avoid iga and get to a woolies

90dollars for a week of food – all chicken , fruit and veg mind.

Its a nice place but wouldnt be veyr high. Up on my list of places for holidays.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

It’s not so much a holiday in Perth more to visit family and friends. Usually Holiday destination is Greek Islands or Florida.
    In Greece I usually budget £100 a day which is for drinks throughout the day and breakfast, and two three course meal each night. Plus some souvenirs and my cigarette habit 20 fags a day.

Obviously staying with friends and family it won’t be meals out every night but contributing towards food costs would be needed. So wondering what to budget daily.

My UK daily budget is £60 a day which I don’t always spend but sometimes do if I need extra food items or household items.

diz

I always use these people for car hire when I’m in Perth https://www.bayswatercarrental.com.au
    They are cheap and good, a rare combination these days.

WildHunter2009

Current exchange rates are good for coming over this way. Perth is not cheap but at 2:1 it wont seem all that bad. Nice meal out for two going to be around 50 quid ish. Pint will be five to 6 quid for decent local beer, bottle from the shops maybe 7 -10 for some nice wine.
    l
    Definately hire a car and head out of the city though. Accomodation down south unless you can camp is not cheap, though that will depend on what time of year. On that note, do not come in jan or feb ha!

Not sure about road bike hire but rock n roll cycles at the camel farm in kalamunda hire out decent mountain bikes and the trails are fun. I suspect they could point you in the direction of a roadbike. Or kalamunda cycles I think hire.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Booze is pricey in the pubs, $10 a pint. Cheaper to get a carton from the bottlo around $40. Some lovely local beers and Swan Valley is decent if you can’t be arsed to trek down to Margs for a wine tour.

I find IGA cheaper but there’s places like Spudshed which is good for veggies and lots of decent local butchers – decent one on Wray Ave in Freo or Rocko foreshore.

Meals can be pricey out but also some great places to eat. Try and get your fam to get an entertainment book for loads of offers on meals and days out.

Summer is hot as I’m sure you’re aware. 34c here today. Sat outside with a coffee and the mister on soaking up and listening to tunes while my daughter has a nap.

Any specific info give me a shout, more than happy to help out.

Car hire is cheap – Bayswater are good. Fuel is cheap too. Was around a dollar a litre a couple of weeks ago. Full tank for $65 – awesome.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Its a nice place but wouldnt be veyr high. Up on my list of places for holidays.

Totally disagree. There’s heaps to do. Cycling, watersports, kings park, pinacles, jurien bay, dwellingup, swan valley, margaret river, perth hills, beaches, great coffee, fishing, rotnest…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

aphex nice as all that is as a holiday I’d go to Australia instead 😉

Perth CBD is not a place I’d head to exceptionally expensive to eat & drink etc.
    Fremantle is much nice and I’d at least suggest eating down at little creatures on the harbour.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yep i was out wakeboarding on the swan , i was down at little creatures , out at the prison , up in kings park , out in northbridge, did the bridge to bridge circuit .

I found good coffee expensive , the only place i got good coffee was on mends st at the cafe, which was handy as i was living next to the windsor.

I still wouldnt pick there for a holiday having been up and down the east coast previously , but since he has family there its a moot point.

Lester
    Free Member

ive been a few times
    take my bike helmet
    buy a bike while you are there, cycle to the coast and give it to the church at the end of the holiday
    great place, i love it
    monkey mia is miles away to see the dolphins so dont underestimate the time it will take 🙂

WildHunter2009

Its gotten a bit cheaper recently I would say, though perhaps not for the best of reasons!
    Freo is really nice, a beer or 3 at Little Creatures is pretty much a must. Nice ride into freo as well on the south side of the swan. The homestead brewery out in the swan valley is worth a trip as well albeit a tad pricey.

I think mikesmith lives in tassie so we can ignore his digs about going to australia :p

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep I do, closer to the good bits 🙂
    Spent a month living in Perth a bit ago and been over a lot for work so I do know a bit about it.
    Family normally gets in the way of a good holiday as they say.

WildHunter2009

I will admit if i could move anywhere in australia it would be to tasmania…. but ignoring that ha.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Still much rather live in Perth or Freo than Bolton. When I went as a teen I did not want to return to the UK. Always said I’d do my nurse training and move over there.
    So it’s also a bit of a fact finding mission to see if it’s worth a permanent move.

scuttler

Car hire is cheap but standard insurance excesses are high in Oz. You can reduce these for a price but it’s far cheaper to buy gap insurance to cover you for the excess – something like this – http://www.insurance4carhire.com/

1600 quid for two for flights looks like a good deal.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Flights gone up now to £2185 but this is with Singapore which I do prefer over Emirates or Etihad, as you get the 13 hour leg out the way first.
    Also there is two options one with a hour and twenty layover or a 11 hour layover. Not sure what Changi is like for connecting these days.
    I’ve done the 11 hour one in the past and it was nice to go into Singapore grab some food, quick look around and then a few hours kip and shower in the Transit hotel.

Plus the flight is always delayed from Manchester so don’t want to miss the connection.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i flew malaysia air the other week , which was great as i had 4 seats to my self for both inward and outward 13 hour legs and i came home on the top deck of the a380. cost 900 quid with 3 days notice.

Win.

and we got there without being shot out the sky- bonus.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Having done the LHR – PER haul about a dozen times in three years I can safely say I wouldn’t fly with anyone other than Qatar or emirates at a push.

nixie

Very timley thread, had just fine on to post something similar as we are of too Perth (well busselton) in a few weeks. Had a bit of a look and send there is some riding and but as I’ll likely only get one day where would best to spend that day?

antigee

someone asked about MTB Perth area a couple of weeks back – I’m not a local but have ridden here –

http://www.mrorca.org.au/pages/maps-trails

you need to check but think is less than 30mins drive from Busselton

and think hired bike from these guys https://https://www.facebook.com/pages/Margaret-River-Cycles-Repairs/110995082339304?sk=info&tab=overview

no idea what i did but was good
    it could still be hot during day and worth remembering to check fire condition warnings

diz

OP have you found a road bike hire outlet yet, I’ve just booked to go and see family in Perth next January and would love to get some road kilometres in whilst there!

perthmtb
    Free Member

These guys hire out all sorts of bikes (and kayaks) and are nicely placed for heading straight out onto the bike paths round the river.

flanagaj
    Free Member

I drove north from Perth to Coral Bay in a camper last Jan and then down to Esperance and along the south coast and came back via Margs.

The area down south around Esperance / Albany and Denmark is the most beautiful place I have been too. The beaches are another world and the huge eucalyptus forests will no doubt have some cracking mountain biking. You could always cycle the Munda Biddi trail.

I love the isolation of the place. I mean where else can you drive for 20 mins before you see another vehicle. You feel like your in a post apocalyptic Mad Max movie

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve just booked to go and see family in Perth next January and would love to get some road kilometres in whilst there!

Bring some lights will probably be OK until about 7am 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Holiday to Perth Australia’ is closed to new replies.