Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • holiday time again – things to see and do in crete anyone?
  • sadexpunk

did the east side last year, stayed in sissi, visited pretty much most of what we wanted to see there, elounda, spinalonga etc.

in may we’re trying t’other side, staying in georgiopolis (sp) near chania.

i’ll obviously be looking on the tripadvisor forum too, but any of you here got any little nuggets of wisdom, special places to visit, things to do in that area? the beaches on the far western tip look lovely, bit of a faff to get to tho maybe?

thanks

andrewreay

Loved that side of the island.

Exploring the mountains by car (or bike) is worth a day or two at least. It’s spectacular scenery, pretty much Alpine, and makes you forget you are in the hot part of the Med.

There’s an ancient olive tree (the world’s oldest etc etc) near you, which is not exactly a blockbuster tourist attraction, but gets you up and away from the coast.

Malia probably best avoided if you don’t fancy a full English and half a dozen WKD Blues for breakfast.

By coincidence, when I went the first time, I was reading the Anthony Beevor book on the German invasion of Crete.

Crete – The Battle and the Resistance

As I read, I could trace a lot of the landing and battle sites from that side of the island, so it brought the amazing story to life. Thoroughly recommend the book anyway, but even more engaging when you can see the areas and towns where it went down.

bennn
    Free Member

Agios Nikolaos is beautiful, take a walk up the steps at the side of the lagoon for the views, we had something to eat at one of the resteraunts at the top and it was a really nice place to sit and spend some time.

We rented a scooter and rode up the mountains to visit Mohos, Krasi (where the ancient olive tree mentioned above is), around the Lasithi Plateu to the Dikteon Caves (supposed birth place of Zeus) worth the walk uphill!

Plenty of things to do – or just go to Malia and laugh at the brits abroad.

johndoh
    Free Member

or just go to Malia and laugh at the brits abroad

Because your idea of a holiday is the only correct one?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

If you are at all interested in WW2 on Crete there are several books about and by Patrick Leigh Fermor who led the operation to capture General Kriepe. The Ariadne Objective by Wes Davies is good and Leigh Fermor’s Abducting a General: The Kreipe Operation and SOE in Crete also worth a read, both with lots of local references.

bennn
    Free Member

@johndoe not sure I said that, but there are some sights to be seen in Malia, if that’s your thing.

sadexpunk

Agios Nikolaos is beautiful, take a walk up the steps at the side of the lagoon for the views, we had something to eat at one of the resteraunts at the top and it was a really nice place to sit and spend some time.

We rented a scooter and rode up the mountains to visit Mohos, Krasi (where the ancient olive tree mentioned above is), around the Lasithi Plateu to the Dikteon Caves (supposed birth place of Zeus) worth the walk uphill!

did that last year. is mohos the ‘old malia’ or am i getting confused I think im wrong)…. we went to the one in the hills above malia anyway and whatever that town was was well worth the drive. had probably the best meal of the holiday in the village square, lovely place.
    also drove around that plateau altho we didnt do the caves.

or just go to Malia and laugh at the brits abroad.

we went for a drive through, expecting the worst, but it wasnt as bad as expected, we found hersinissos far worse, that was our idea of hell as we drove through.

sorry, no real interest in the war 🙂

Loved that side of the island.

Exploring the mountains by car (or bike) is worth a day or two at least. It’s spectacular scenery, pretty much Alpine, and makes you forget you are in the hot part of the Med.

There’s an ancient olive tree (the world’s oldest etc etc) near you, which is not exactly a blockbuster tourist attraction, but gets you up and away from the coast.

thank you, we will be hiring a car for the duration, always do. my wife hates me for it but i always seem to find the steep windy roads with sheer drops :-/

EDIT: thought i was wrong, it was ‘mochos’. this was the place, well recommended if anyones ever in the area.
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1800440-d2213245-Reviews-Lithos_Taverna-Mochos_Crete.html

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Samaria gorge is well worth it and Episkopi beach near Rethmyno is lovely.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘holiday time again – things to see and do in crete anyone?’ is closed to new replies.