Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Holiday accommodation Newark ( on a budget )
  • Harry_the_Spider

Looking for something for the next bank holiday. Last minute and on a budget.

Does anyone know of any places with static caravans in Newark?

Online searching is proving fruitless so the missus has instructed me to “Ask Singletrack”.

Megatron

Am puzzled by the thought of a bank holiday weekend in Newark, but there you go. You often don’t appreciate what’s on your doorstep.

Don’t go down Tolney Lane.
    There are a few sites round here for touring caravans, but no statics that I can think of.

You may be looking at a commute to Newark from Skegvegas.

There are a few budget hotels about. Nottingham etc isn’t that far.

frankconway

For the uninitiated, a trip down Tolney Lane is a must.
    Why Newark?
    Why Newark on a bank holiday?
    Am I missing something?
    If you’ve got a tent, Smeaton’s Lakes.
    Better options just over the border in Lincolnshire.

Harry_the_Spider

Newark is mid way between Nottingham and Lincoln. We want to visit the sites in both.

Doesn’t have to be Newark I suppose, just somewhere in the area.

matt_outandabout

We find that Travelodge or Premier Inn is often cheaper than self catering or static van. The only issue is then food – not being able to cook can cost more.

b230ftw
    Free Member

Try Southwell area where I grew up. It’s nice round there, might be some more options?

Personally I’d stay in one place and drive to the other rather than being in neither. Used to go to Lincoln regularly as a kid and went back recently for a short stay and thought it was really nice.

Megatron

Southwell area? Nothing to see here 😉
    Have a few small b&bs, some pubs with accommodation, some air b&b places, glamping pods and a touring caravan site. Let me know if you bring bikes, I have some local knowledge.

Would think of Lincoln as possibly a nicer place to stay, and Nottingham has more options. Happy to be corrected on this.

If you’re stuck on neither one or the other have a look at Grantham too.

andrewh
    Free Member

My parents run a holiday cottage the other side of Grantham, in Humby.
    One double bed and one single, secure bike storage.
    Could wangle mates rates for you but would obviously have to fit in around existing bookings but might suit if you aren’t tied to particular dates yet. PM me if interested.

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks, but there are 4 of us.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

As above – perhaps stop in Lincoln and take the train to Nottingham to visit? Newark isn’t a place I would ever think to stay. Southwell is nice as mentioned.

IHN

We find that Travelodge or Premier Inn is often cheaper than self catering or static van. The only issue is then food – not being able to cook can cost more.

This is why The Bed Picnic was invented by MrsIHN and I. Nearest supermarket, french stick, sliced cheese, pot of little tomatoes, hummus, crisps, bottle of wine. Sorted 🙂

matt_outandabout

This is why The Bed Picnic was invented by MrsIHN and I

oooh, a bold claim. I think we have been Bed Picknicking since the kids were small….so 18years?

IHN

*consults lawyers*

matt_outandabout

So, what does mrs_IHN say? 😂

IHN

She’ll see you in court 🙂

gordimhor

Bed picnics are fine, but nothing beats the thrill of smuggling in your own microwave.

IdleJon

oooh, a bold claim. I think we have been Bed Picknicking since the kids were small….so 18years?

Yeah, we definitely bed-picnicked in Milan, 2004*, and I’ve done it many times solo on work trips. Curiously though, before this is tested in court, my wife mentioned the term (bed picnic) just this last weekend. I had to ask her what she meant. Is this just a recently invented term on social media that, I put it to my respectful but disreputably learned colleagues, that IHN has stolen? Filched even, from some unknowing young influencer?

*edit, for clarification, when I say ‘we’ I don’t mean me and anyone posting on here. That would be weird!

MoreCashThanDash

For the uninitiated, a trip down Tolney Lane is a must.

Having worked with Tolney Lane community, I’d give that a miss.

Newark town centre has some lovely old buildings, new Civil War museum I think, castle, canal, air museum. Handy for Belvoir, Nottingham, Lincoln, Leicester and the Space Centre.

We’ve found Premier Inn/Travelodges can be surprisingly reasonable.

MoreCashThanDash

*edit, for clarification, when I say ‘we’ I don’t mean me and anyone posting on here. That would be weird!

And I had such happy memories of our bed picnics in Milan back in 2004….🥺

IHN

Is this just a recently invented term on social media that, I put it to my respectful but disreputably learned colleagues, that IHN has stolen? Filched even, from some unknowing young influencer?

I’ll take the fact that you think that I’m even aware of any young influencers as a compliment 🙂

ji
    Free Member

Been a few years since I went, but Woodland Waters near Ancaster was a good site – think it had a few statics (not many though). Nearish to Newark

frankconway

MCTD – Tolney Lane adds to Newark’s rich cultural mix…

dannybgoode

Why Newark when New York is just across the river. Much more to see and do there also…

I’ve only ever driven past Newark and never once had the urge to stop

MoreCashThanDash

MCTD – Tolney Lane adds to Newark’s rich cultural mix…

We ended up going in pairs if we couldn’t avoid it.

frankconway

Only in pairs?

timba
    Free Member

Tattershall Lakes? RAF Coningsby, BBMF, a castle and 15 miles to Lincoln. 50 miles to Nottingham though

Somewhere near Belvoir (Beaver) Castle?

tom7044

My advice to OP is that area between Notts and Lincoln is nice if a bit quiet, Newark is not that bad, just can be a bit insular. I would pick one of the budget hotels near the station in Nottingham and can then get the train to Lincoln really easily. If you really want stop off in Newark on the way to check out then is still an option, I think you can even see Tolney lane from the train on the way through.

Does anyone else on here who grew up in Newark remember using chinga.co.uk back in the day? This thread triggered me to have a look on the wayback machine at some of the archived conversation and now can’t believe it is not a parody. Warning if you dont remember is NSFW and needs some knowledge of Newark slang and also handy to know some of the local characters from the early 2000s.

lerk
    Free Member

There is a static/lodge park at stalag torksey, I don’t know if they are rented out though…

frankconway

tom – are you referring to the briggs-price clan?

andrewh
    Free Member

Bed picnics are fine, but nothing beats the thrill of smuggling in your own microwave.

Couscous in those little tiny kettles?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.