Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Holding bars still when bleeding brakes
  • rossburton
    Free Member

There must be some trick I’m missing. When you bleed brakes you really don’t want the bars to be flopping around. How do people keep them steady? My best effort is a hooked bungee around the shifter and wherever is appropriate on my workstand but its not really that reliable. Any better hacks?

simondbarnes

If you’re that bothered then just over-tighten your headset. I’ve never found it to be an issue.

Tracey

We bought a tool from Planet X when they were selling them off but I’m sure I could have fabricated one from a coat hanger

A bit like the link but 1/4 of the cost

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Park-Tool-HBH-2-Handlebar-Holder/dp/B000QSXPL2

theotherjonv

strap holding the wheel to the downtube, if that can’t move nor can the bars.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you’re old enough, you might have some toe straps lying around. Wheel to the down tube always worked for me.

sillyoldman

Two rubber bands around front wheel valve stem, stretched Either side of tyre and hooked over DT bottle boss bolt.

I don’t bother my arse though.

Tracey

I always take the wheel out when bleeding the front or rear brake to remove the pads and get the spacer into the caliper

frogstomp

If the bike is in a stand, make sure the front of the bike is lower than the rear and the bars won’t flop around. The’ll still be able to move, obviously, but it’s a lot easier to manage.

If that’s not enough, fashion a handlebar holder like this out of old coat-hangers:

mattvanders
    Free Member
    bigyan
    Free Member

Park do a handlebar holder you can buy or copy the idea.

I also sometimes strap MTB bars to the top tube (depending on the bike and brakes)

lister

Old inner tubes from the ends of the bars to the back of the saddle. Keeps everything nicely tensioned.

mashr

That HBH-2 felt like one of my most frivolous purchases ever. OTOH it’s also ended up being one of my most used tools

rossburton
    Free Member

Pointing the bike downwards makes sense, I usually have it pointing up purely so that I don’t need to bend over as far…

HBH2 is simultaneously crazy money for what it us, surprisingly cheap considering it is Park Tools Blue, and also perfect to copy with a coathanger, if I can just find a wire one!

Northwind

As mentioned, hang it nose down, sorted. Or just lean it against the wall with the other brake tied back

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Holding bars still when bleeding brakes’ is closed to new replies.