Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Hobbyking import tax's – bit of a moan
  • joepose
    Free Member

Purchased a model plane from Hobbyking for my son. They had nil stock in UK so I had to get it shipped from the USA. Price was the same from either warehouse but I had to pay additional £30 to post.

So far so good but tonight I receive a note stating I need to pay 20% vat.
    Im sure it would have been in the small print but I would expect the original purchase price o be less 20% if I needed to add this after.
    What would you expect?

tomhoward

failing to see the issue, you imported something, you pay import duty+tax.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

The problem is that the USA version of the company won’t bother or concern themselves with the intricacies of (or people’s obligations regarding) other countries taxes. They can quote for the item, they can quote for the shipping, but ultimately any local taxes are not their responsibility to mention.

Every country is different, and the small print alone would by huge. Its a lesson learned unfortunately.

joepose
    Free Member

model wasn’t available through the uk stock so I was given the option of the usa site but why would the price be the same as the uk price includes 20% vat?

joepose
    Free Member

if it didn’t include tax it should have been at a lower price shouldn’t it?

aP
    Free Member

Price will be US minus State taxes, so would have been more to buy if you were there as they don’t have VAT.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

if it didn’t include tax it should have been at a lower price shouldn’t it?

Not necessarily. You don’t have to issue one price for the whole world. They are not able to pay the VAT for you, so it can;t include it.

Also the state taxes (their VAT) as mentioned above are worth considering, some have them, others don;t, so they quote without.

joepose
    Free Member

Still makes no sense to me. Seems like I have paid at UK price (including tax) and have to pay the tax again.

singlespeedstu

failing to see the issue, you imported something, you pay import duty+tax.

This.

Seems like I have paid at UK price (including tax) and have to pay the tax again.

But you bought it from a US site so you’ve not paid any UK tax on it.

joepose
    Free Member

Same purchase price via their us site as the uk site which includes the tax already I paid £79.85 in gbp which from the uk site included the tax?

aP
    Free Member

No, you bought from the US site, where the £79.85 doesn’t include State tax.

lemonysam
    Free Member

So the goods were more expensive in the US?

joepose
    Free Member

No, I was directed to the us site as they had no stock in the uk.
    Either way they are making more money by selling in this way and customers are losing out.

joepose
    Free Member

So the goods were more expensive in the US?

Correct lemonysam – their support chat are now saying this is due to additional administration

scotroutes

No they aren’t. The taxes and duty go to the government, not the retailer.

Drac

You paid VAT like you should have done, you may even get hit for import duty too. You bought the item from America so you’re expected to pay these, you took the option to buy from there.

njee20
    Free Member

^^ this

Your mistake to naively assume that because the price was the same it was ‘all inclusive’ so to speak.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Wait until you get stung for import duty and royal mail’s ‘handling fee’…
    Are you new to……errrr, modern life?

jota180
    Free Member

Do your listing prices include tax?

None of our product pricing includes tax and we do not charge taxes or extra fees on top of our advertised product price and shipping/handling.
    However, it is your responsibility to pay any fees charged by your local customs or postal office, should they be incurred.

There shouldn’t be any import duty For £80

orangeboy
    Free Member

It’s like shopping in my local molle valley store

All the shelf prices are pre vat which is added at the till

Bike parts have vat and duty if you buy from the states

And as above a fee for handling the hmrc payments all of which is nothing to do with the company that sold you the stuff

Not sure if you have to pay tax on the total inc shipping charges or not

br
    Free Member

Are you new to……errrr, modern life?

+1 🙂

joepose
    Free Member
    andyl
    Free Member

this is actually quite a confusing one as I have just checked both the .com and .co.uk sites and they both show the same prices in GBP for items and the t’s and c’s state for both sites:

Do your listing prices include tax?
    None of our product pricing includes tax and we do not charge taxes or extra fees on top of our advertised product price and shipping/handling.
    However, it is your responsibility to pay any fees charged by your local customs or postal office, should they be incurred.

I find it very odd that their uk site doesnt include VAT on stuff that is sent from within the UK unless somehow they still send the stuff through customs? Otherwise it would seem to be dodging VAT.

I am actually siding with the OP on this that something is not right. But OP you should have realised that anything from outside of Europe will attract taxes and, if the amount is high enough, import duties.

I don’t see how HK are selling goods from a UK warehouse without charging VAT. It could be that whent hey sell something from the UK they are taking a hit themselves but to minimise this when they import them into the UK they are under-declaring them? Maybe, maybe not.

I used to buy my RC car stuff from stores in the USA back when it was around $1.9-2.0 to the £. This was before the internet and I used to buy the US RC Car Action magazine and look in the classifieds for the best deals and then call the shop directly and my dad would way using his credit card. We would then pay the postman the relevant taxes/duties in cash when he dropped off the parcel. Only worked for US made stuff like Associated and Losi.

CountZero

There shouldn’t be any import duty For £80

Wanna bet? I’ve been ripped off for a book and cd, total cost of around $30, had to pay import, VAT and ‘handling charge’, cost me £30 instead of £19.70.

joepose
    Free Member

Don’t mind paying handling charge, import duty but not happy paying vat on top of a price that already had vat. The gbp prices include vat I am adamant ive paid the price with vat and had to pay vat again (& on the shipping too).
    Anyway the point is id like to warn others about the way Hobbyking do business.

Drac

Anyway the point is id like to warn others about the way Hobbyking do business.

Legally.

joepose
    Free Member

Morally?

demonracer

Important life lesson learnt … At the end of the day even with vat and handling charges it will still of been cheap if I know Hobbyking

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Hobbyking import tax's – bit of a moan’ is closed to new replies.