Hiring out my Shockwiz, how would that work then in the real world?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Hiring out my Shockwiz, how would that work then in the real world?
  • Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

So, as you may have seen, I bought a Shockwiz and was planning on renting it out to recoup some costs.

I have a couple of guys I know who want it, but for others outside of my actual friends, how would that work?

I pinged the guy on eBay and message asking and his reply was “if the person breaks/loses it, they pay £300”

Which whilst I get that in theory, I can’t see how that could be enforced.

Thoughts and options?

Premier Icon burt
    Subscriber

I bought one when they first became available with the intention of hiring it out after I had used it.
    I came to the conclusion that hiring it out to complete strangers was only going to end in tears. I had all sorts of ideas like taking returnable deposits etc but in the end it seemed like a lot of hassle for little return

iolo

Honest question.Do you believe after tinkering with it it makes a difference?

shuhockey

You could use Fat Lama. Not tried it myself but it looks like it works. They pay you to rent your item, Fat Lama takes a cut and the item is insured should they break it.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Do you believe after tinkering with it it makes a difference?

Well, in simple terms. My preference wasn’t a million miles away from where Shockwiz said. But it was enough that after riding it, it feels ‘better’ so I’m happy their settings are better than mine. Over tiny bumps my setting felt a bit harsh, theirs have smoothed it out.

If I’m honest, I wouldn’t have got here myself, I’m a do it once kind of rider, set it so I’m using 80% or so both ends, move on, that’s my settings.

I’m intrigued to give to a mate, set his bike up with him and see his thoughts

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

I’ll rent it off you and not return it as it’s cost you nowt due to free council tax.😜
    Best of luck recovering the money from me as I don’t own anything.
    Not much help but that’s what you will face if you try renting it out to people you don’t know and trust.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Indeed, that’s the worry isn’t it.

Subscriber

Not for me as I’ll end up with a free shockhiz.😵
    TBF from what i’ve seen it tends to tell folks that they’re almost right.
    Everything is personal and best way to set up is by bracketing.
    That way you’ll have something that feels right for you.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

bracketing

Huh?

Subscriber

Look it up it’s cheaper than buying something that agrees with you and you end up with better results.
    Steve from Vorsprung has a whole series of videos that will help to understand what goes on with your bikes suspension that will in the long run be much more helpful than you setting it up to a device that want’s to agree with you.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

It didn’t agree with me, I thought we’d established that? It also made it better. I thought we’d established that too?

EDI

Bracketing : doing what the Shockwiz does but taking 5 times longer and not actually knowing how or why you got it right.

Ok. I get you cheers

Subscriber

Even more reason to watch and understand what’s going on.
    Sorry I assumed you knew what you were doing with setup.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Sorry I assumed you knew what you were doing with setup.

If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn’t have bought one! I’m fully aware of the concepts of compression, rebound, sag, from both motorbikes and MTB, but that doesn’t mean I can tune them to give the best results.

Hence why on my motorcycles I pay a guy to do it.

Subscriber

not actually knowing how or why you got it right.

No.
    Knowing exactly how and why you got it right FOR YOU.

doomanic

I also bought one with the intention of renting it out but I’ve never got around to it.

When I first used it I wasn’t a million miles away from where it thought I should be but it was a noticeable improvement.

Subscriber

Paying people to set up road MC’s shows you for your lack of understanding.
    All the info is there just take a little time to understand it and apply it to what you want.
    It’s not that complex if you take your time and you really will end up with a better setup.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Paying people to set up road MC’s shows you for your lack of understanding.
    All the info is there just take a little time to understand it and apply it to what you want.
    It’s not that complex if you take your time and you really will end up with a better setup

Why does Valentino Rossi use one ? Why does Gwin? Why do companies like MCT make a living from tuning suspension? Because it’s easier for people who ‘know’ than a random person using feel. Who’s to say for example I’d have set my forks 15psi different without the Shockwiz, well maybe yes, but would I have also slowed the rebound by 4 clicks, maybe not. Maybe I’d have gone round in circles forever, then done the same on the rear. Instead I’ve got a tool that does it and removes the maybe factor.

Tune It Up: How to adjust your Front Suspension

https://mbaction.com/suspension-tips-straight-from-the-experts/amp/

According to that, all the pros use a guy, why don’t they do it themselves?

Which pro athletes do you work most closely with?

I work closely with World Cup downhill athletes and Enduro World Series racers, including Aaron Gwin, Danny Hart, Greg Minnaar, Rachel Atherton, Richie Rude, Tracy Moseley and many more.

I 100% understand your logic, but it’s not quite that simple is it?

Subscriber

Are you going to win a world cup?😜
    That’s not an insult BTW.
    As a side note.
    Have you ever seen any video of Minnar setting up his bike a specific track?
    He’s constantly telling the tech guys that he doesn’t agree with their setup…
    He understands better than they do what he wants.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

No, but you’re telling me to use a pro process to get the answers, but it’s not actually the pros doing it. It’s their human Shockwiz.

I’d love to see a Poll of how many people do more than say 2 settings on a bike, the first being what they reckon before a first ride, the second after that. I bet a vast majority leave it after that.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

P.s I’m not insulted, I’m happy to debate without getting all enough, unlike loads on here in other threads. I’m happy to be right, or wrong, reasoned discussions are cool with me

Subscriber

I’m happy to be right, or wrong, reasoned discussions are cool with me

Me too mate.
    We can all learn from each other.
    Electronic devices sometimes don’t help.

geex

for others outside of my actual friends, how would that work?

Maybe an advert on a busy mtb forum frequented by tons of folk who own bikes with expensive suspension but don’t even understand how to set it up?

geex

According to that, all the pros use a guy, why don’t they do it themselves?

so they can focus on racing with less hassles to distract them obviously.

I’m not talking about locking yourself in your smelly spare room with zwift BTW.

It’s their human Shockwiz.

it really isn’t.

Subscriber

Evening geex.
    Hope you’re not wearing all those Inners trails trails out on you Ebike you greedy bastard.😃

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

it really isn’t.

Why isn’t it? The Shockwiz knows about sag, preload, high and low speed compression etc, so in simple terms that’s what a suspension guy does. Sure he does the mechanical aspect, but from a settings perspective a rider comes in and says “it’s not holding a line on fast turns” he then translates that into needing more less days, the Shockwiz does that but without you having to voice your issues, it knows them already. (Assuming we take it the algorithms are correct)

geex

Awright Stu?
    They’re all completely worn out now so I’ve been building trails locally with the Eeb (best trailbuilding accessory evar BTW) and riding my old DJ bike instead

#Lazybastard

Subscriber

weeks.
    I’ll refer you back to watching Minnar vids of him having discussions with human shockwiz’s where he does none of those things…
    geex.
    Hope they’ve all recovered by the next time we come up.
    Be good to meet up for some lazybastard riding again.

geex

can your shock whiz tell you what to do when you explain you want a slightly different pop off the lip straight after the compression just after the thirteenth right hander at Val di sol now you’ve altered you entrance line?

shockwiz knows **** all about how I like to ride. and it never will.
    My mechanic knows exactly how I like to ride and how to set up my suspension on all of my bikes.

if you want all your choices made by algorythm fine. But don’t tell me it’s the same as a choice made by a human.

geex

Always up for that Stu. Just give me notice and I’ll be there.
    everything’s actually riding marvelously in the Valley just now all cold n hard packed.
    been down there loads.
    there are few new gems too.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

shockwiz knows **** all about how I like to ride. and it never will

Of course it does. It knows exactly how you ride as it feels your every movement on a trail. It knows if you Jedi jump, or bounce it, it knows if you land on a downslope front or rear wheel first, it knows if you drift the rear or brake late on the front, if you trail the front brake or let it go early.
    It knows all that and likely a lot more.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

if you want all your choices made by algorythm fine. But don’t tell me it’s the same as a choice made by a human.

Given the right information, it’s likely more accurate. Computers are cleverer than humans. Especially ones who don’t know much about a particular subject.

Subscriber

Sounds good but we’re not going to be able to get back up for a while.😤
    Defo give you a shout when we’re up again though.
    There’ll be another lazy bastard with us next time too.
    Got a week booked in June.
    May sneak a weekend in before that if we’re lucky.

Subscriber

Of course it does. It knows exactly how you ride as it feels your every movement on a trail. It knows if you Jedi jump, or bounce it, it knows if you land on a downslope front or rear wheel first, it knows if you drift the rear or brake late on the front, if you trail the front brake or let it go early.
    It knows all that and likely a lot more.

I think you’re over estimating it a bit there.
    It just records air pressure…

geex

lol. You really believe a pressure guage/logger can tell me how I like my suspension to work better than I can?

m’kay then

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I think you’re over estimating it a bit there.
    It just records air pressure

Well yes of course, but I’m thinking it’s a bit cleverer than that

highly accurate pressure sensor and microprocessor. You connect it to your fork or shock’s Schrader valve and it samples air pressure 100 times-a-second while you ride. Finely tuned algorithms analyze the changes in pressure to detect undesirable characteristics such as pogo, pack-down or bob, and class their severity.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

You really believe a pressure guage/logger can tell me how I like my suspesnion to work better than I can

Maybe not, but it told me better than I can. Which is what matters to me.

Subscriber

Maybe not, but it told me better than I can

All goes back to learning what you want and how to get it.
    I’ll leave you to it though as you seem past helping.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

As I bet are a large number of mtbers

trail_rat

How do you know it’s better if you don’t know what you want.

Likewise. What works at track X probably won’t work at track y.

Like bike fits they are merely suggestive. Personal feel should trump all if you have half an idea of what your doing.

Unless you ride at the same place all the time then your suspension set up should either be fluid or be a compromise . If you blindly follow a gadget you’ll be spot on for the bit of track it analysed……but it’ll be neither fluid nor a compromise

Subscriber

Is that an excuse to not try and help your self…
    No that’s not a question.
    *Not aimed at Terryrat.*

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.