Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hightower v2 with longer offset forks
  • Premier Icon prezet
    Free Member

I’m currently running a v1 Hightower, with a v2 frame upgrade now on order – the original HT ran with a 51mm fork offset, but the newer one is recommended to run with a 44mm.

What would the impact (if any) be of running the longer offset fork on the new HT – is it worth the investment to replace the CSU to a shorter one?

Premier Icon Hob-Nob
    Free Member

What would the impact (if any) be of running the longer offset fork on the new HT

An almost undetectable difference.

is it worth the investment to replace the CSU to a shorter one?

Nope.

Premier Icon crazyknowledge
    Free Member

OK, so I’m not a great rider…

I recently decided to try mulleting my Whyte E180, it is a 27.5 and I put some 29er forks on the front with a 51mm offset, I went from 180mm 27.5 forks ( 46mm offset ) to 160mm 29 forks so axle 2 crown was the same.

I did not have the 29 front wheel yet so just threw the old 27.5 wheel in, a 51mm offset on 27.5 wheels should be miles out however, overall I prefer the handling…

Bike seems quicker steering and more easy to get leant over and not much less stable on the fast sections.

My conclusion is you need to be of a pretty decent standard to notice much difference in fork offset.

Premier Icon chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

“I did not have the 29 front wheel yet so just threw the old 27.5 wheel in, a 51mm offset on 27.5 wheels should be miles out”

Why should it be miles out? Dual crown forks have this much offset.

“Bike seems quicker steering and more easy to get leant over and not much less stable on the fast sections.”

Yes, that’s what I’d expect.

“My conclusion is you need to be of a pretty decent standard to notice much difference in fork offset.”

Are you saying that you need to be a better rider than yourself to notice the difference? Because you clearly HAVE noticed the difference.

I’d use the old forks and leave them at the longer offset.

Premier Icon fathomer

I highly doubt I’d notice and better riders than me, seem to think it not worth bothering about (hob nob for instance). Cy from Cotic wrote a bit that might be worth a read:
    https://www.cotic.co.uk/news/2019/forkoffset

Premier Icon zezaskar
    Free Member

Don’t bother

Recently had the opportunity to leap from a 44mm to a 51mm fork, same travel, same bike setup. Could notice a tiny little steering difference on the first 5min, then it’s gone

Premier Icon frogstomp

What fork are you currently running?

I recently moved from the v1 to v2.. found a set of cheap Revelations (taken off a new bike) with the right offset and swapped the (upgraded) internals from my Pike over.

Would I have noticed the difference? Maybe, maybe not.. but I sold the left-over forks for what ended up being effectively a no-cost upgrade..

Premier Icon prezet
    Free Member

2018 Fox 36’s

Premier Icon Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve recently changed to a 44mm fork from a 51mm.

I found it to be exactly as Cy at Cotic describes in his article.

I noticed a small difference for about 10 minutes riding before I acclimatised.

It really is princess and the pea territory. Do I prefer 44mm? Yes. Would I spend nearly £1000 on a new fork to get a shorter reach?

Absolutely not.

Premier Icon crazyknowledge
    Free Member

@chiefgrooveguru

I guess what you say is right, I can notice the difference even not being a great rider but I’m going to an extreme with 51mm offset with 27.5 wheels, I prefer it overall but will still try the 29 wheel this weekend.
    Really what I’m trying to say is that I think it is not Worth worrying too much about the offset.

I remember chatting to the chap at Starling cycles and he was trying both offset 29 forks when testing on the Murmur and saying there was very little difference between the two.

Premier Icon arogers

2018 Fox 36’s

Aren’t these 46mm offset anyway? Even if they’re 51mm it’s not worth the cost of the upgrade. I’ve run different offsets, and prefer shorter, but wouldn’t pay the sort of money you’re talking about to change it.

Premier Icon batman11

I’ve run 2 29er frames designed around reduced off sets but with 51mm now! and to be fair not ridden them with the 44mm or less and have not noticed anything other than a great bike to ride. My be they wonder a bit more climbing but then I’m a slow crap climber anyway so no difference to me there😜 but steering is sharp and quick and as I said ignorance is bliss and why spend out if you don’t need to.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.