Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • High Wycombe woul you live there ? (Right Topic)
  • scu98rkr
    Free Member

Getting married at the end of May and we’re looking to move out of London finally.

I’ll still have a job in London so I’ll need to live somewhere were I can commute into London.

The misses also works in Bagshot so this needs to be within driving Distance.

Basically were considering Reading and Wycombe and possibly some villages/towns in between. Ie Twyford/Maidenhead.

I know what the cycling’s like round there we’re going to visit the town at the weekend just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the town.

Also whats the traffic like going down the A404 in the morning ?

thepurist

I’ve only done the commute the opposite way, but I think the A404 is OK(except the stupid roundabout at Bisham) & the worst part would be the bit through Bracknell & down to Bagshot – especially if anything goes belly up with the M3/M4. Not a journey I’d choose to do on a regular basis, that’s for sure.

Caher

I commuted from Reading to HW for a while and the drive is a nightmare. The A404 gets really clogged. If you could move to the north side of Reading there is a route through Henley which is fairly ok as you can keep moving and not stop.
    There is a riding route but slightly elongated.

As for living in HW – not really it’s not that nice. Have you thought of Marlow? Or Wokingham which is nearer to Bagshot and on a London line?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I wouldn’t live in High Wycombe it’s not very nice at all. And as Caher sayd A404 get mega solid

sm
    Free Member

I live near Wokingham and commute into Paddington via Twyford. Bagshot is easy enough to get to and obviously Swinley is only 20 mins in the car.
    Hope that helps.

soobalias
    Free Member

live in high wycombe? depends on your budget essentially – much like anywhere really, ive lived worse places.

commute to bagshot? what daily, stuff that. A404 is not fun in rush hour and that only gets you half way there. If you are starting in wycombe, the M40/A404 junction is susceptible to any traffic problems between Oxford and London (M25)

anagallis_arvensis

I live in Reading, its OK. Some decent MTB rides from the door, crackin road riding. Full of chav’s and little in the way of high culture. Its hard to get in and out of by car during rush hour but I miss it mostly (leave for work at 7 back around 4.30 mostly). It costs a lot to get to London by train at peak times, check out that cost, trains very frequent and quick though (30 mins to Paddington).

TooTall
    Free Member

I used to live near soob (sniff, miss him so). If I was travelling down to meetings South of the M4, I’d have to get across the M40 before 0700 just to keep moving. They have improved the junction there (Handy Cross IIRC) which was one of the 2 worst traffic blackspots – in the whole UK! The routes from M40 to M4 will foul up given any accident on either road. If you work South of there, try to live South of there. Bits of HW are fine and the town is getting better, but the roads are getting worse.

Digger90
    Free Member

I had to re-read the OP twice. I can’t believe anyone would seriously consider moving to HW. Most people want to get away from it…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘High Wycombe woul you live there ? (Right Topic)’ is closed to new replies.